This might be controversial

lampern

Looks like the young child killed a spike bull with an "ar style" rifle according to other websites.

Wonder if he held the gun?

lost mountain outfitters was the guide?

Last edited:

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Looks like the young child killed a spike bull with an "ar style" rifle according to other websites.

Wonder if he held the gun?

lost mountain outfitters was the guide?
Good for them. Congrats to the child.

Resica

There are kids with parents that don't hunt but the kid wants to. Single moms that aren't hunters, etc.. There are guys up here that volunteer( Pheasants Forever comes to mind) their time and dogs to take the young ones out, who other wise would not have an opportunity like that.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
There are kids with parents that don't hunt but the kid wants to. Single moms that aren't hunters, etc.. There are guys up here that volunteer( Pheasants Forever comes to mind) their time and dogs to take the young ones out, who other wise would not have an opportunity like that.

I'm certainly not saying this is a bad thing and I know it means a lot to those kids they take, but this also doesn't recruit new hunters. Most successful hunter recruitment efforts now are focused on adults that have never hunted and had no friend or relative to take them. It makes perfect sense when you think about it. If you mentor an adult they can immediately go out and continue hunting on their own. Mentoring a 12 year old whose parents won't or can't take them is much less likely to result in a life-long hunter. You have to focus effort on either non-hunting adults or families where the adults want to learn along with the children. If you have a big gap of time from when someone learns to hunt and when they can go on their own you aren't going to recruit many hunters.

NDA's Field to Fork is good example of this:

https://www.deerassociation.com/recruit/field-to-fork/

Wifeshusband

Things have certainly changed over the years, and I'm wondering, Charlie, how the State determined that anyone born past 1961 is required to attend a hunter's safety course. I'm not saying that's a bad thing. In today's climate it's a good thing. I guess there was a time period in the late 20th century when parents, men mostly, quit hunting and passing on lore, marksmanship, and safety. Even though my father had a series of strokes when I was in high school and could no longer hunt or fish, he had instilled in me at a very young age how to hunt and do it safely. I thank God for that and am eternally grateful. But there are men born before 1961 that I would not feel comfortable hunting with. Alec Baldwin would be one.

Last edited:

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Things have certainly changed over the years, and I'm wondering, Charlie, how the State determined that anyone born past 1961 is required to attend a hunter's safety course. I'm not saying that's a bad thing. In today's climate it's a good thing. I guess there was a time period in the late 20th century when parents, men mostly, quit hunting and passing on lore, marksmanship, and safety. Even though my father had a series of strokes when I was in high school and could no longer hunt or fish, he had instilled in me at a very young age how to hunt and do it safely. I thank God for that and am eternally grateful. But there are men born before 1961 that I would not feel comfortable hunting with. Alec Baldwin would be one.

I assume that when they passed the law requiring it they had to grandfather in people that were already hunting adults to reach a compromise with their constituents.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw

splatek

UAEC
There are parents out there too selfish to take their kids during the regular season but I don’t know that youth day here or there will fix the damage that comes from that.

Yikes that’s terrible. I would take my eleven year old every chance I got, but he’d rather wet a line a catch fish. And I’m fine with that. I forgo a lot of days hunting because he’s an angler (I don’t mind fishing one bit). When he comes around to wanting to hunt I’ll bring a weapon just to help finish something off if necessary. I would think watching him take an animal would be ten times the reward taking it myself would be. He really “wants” to hunt bear and deer but is self-aware enough to know that he’s not patient or still enough. So when he shows interest it’s the .22 and squirrels.

I'm certainly not saying this is a bad thing and I know it means a lot to those kids they take, but this also doesn't recruit new hunters. Most successful hunter recruitment efforts now are focused on adults that have never hunted and had no friend or relative to take them. It makes perfect sense when you think about it. If you mentor an adult they can immediately go out and continue hunting on their own. Mentoring a 12 year old whose parents won't or can't take them is much less likely to result in a life-long hunter. You have to focus effort on either non-hunting adults or families where the adults want to learn along with the children. If you have a big gap of time from when someone learns to hunt and when they can go on their own you aren't going to recruit many hunters.

NDA's Field to Fork is good example of this:

https://www.deerassociation.com/recruit/field-to-fork/

This right here. when I started I tried to find a field to fork but they were merging organizations and what not. Either way, found out a Flyfishing buddy of mine was an avid deer Hunter. He mentored me up. Then I found a few guys on here to take me out and show me the ropes a little.

I think the added benefit of adult onset hunter recruitment is the ability to communicate that not all hunts, in fact very few, end up successful (meaning dead animals). Unfortunately, today youth are geared up for instant success and I would bet a lot of young kids that go field and don’t kill something or see nothing, or were set Up To kill a monster buck lose interest to video games or something else very quickly. On the other hand, small game youth hunts would be awesome, I bet.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
It was purely political. When the law was passed people born in 1961 were still kids so people could see how it would help them. It didn’t require ADULTS at the time to take it.
very similar to the reason there is a year cutoff for people taking the boating course—-political cowardice of the voters.
I believe the orange law was passed in 1977. So at the time it would have applied to people 16 and under.

Could it be simply instilling the experience of the outdoors? kinda like introducing them too your favorite foods at an early age. Granted there are some that would use the child for selfish gain.