Colorado elk outfitter recommendations

Pepper10

I’ve seen similar threads but have not seen where someone has actually used or recommended a particular guide/outfitter. I plan on taking my dad, that is in reasonably good shape for a 69 year old, on a once in his lifetime elk hunt this fall 2023. It’s all he has ever talked about since I was a kid, was to go elk hunting in Colorado. I know it’s pretty generic question but looking at the websites for outfitters is like looking at cabin rentals for Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg, they’re everywhere and all sound about the same. He can hike a couple of miles a day just not twenty. He has hunted since he was knee high to a June bug in the backwoods of Tennessee and the north Ga mountains his whole life, just saying he’s not a greenhorn in the woods, just no experience out west. An experience is a fine thing, but a shot opportunity on a nice bull (6x6) is the goal. So, basically if you have had any experiences with any guide/outfitter good or bad your input would greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

huntfish

You'll definitely need to purchase landowner tags via guide for next year. My friend is the hunting manager at LK Ranch in Meeker, CO. Email or call him, he'll be able to help you. Not sure if he has spots open for next year though as Meeker area is in high demand.

Hunting Manager:
Hugh Fadal
719-439-1182
email: hugh@LK ranch.net

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
My Mom n step Dad went ta Colorodo to elk hunt about 5 or 6 years ago.
They got a big 5 x 5 bull. They loved the lodge and the meals and the whole outfitt. They were early/mid 60;s. They talked how the air was thin but they were able to get around well. And the guides were able to retrive the elk with 4x4.
They went to Homestead Ranch

TJay

I recommend Bookcliff Outfitters/Kathy Nay in northwest CO. I've hunted with them twice and Killed a nice bull the second time.

Jetjockey

Winter kill in NW CO is ridiculous this year. Hunt further south or wait a few years. It will be ugly this year.

JR924

My nephew and his wife own Timber to Table Outfitters. I am going in October to hunt in Colorado with them. He is already booked for 2023 as far as I know. I had to book this hunt in 2021 as he gets booked every year it seems. He is very ethical, honest experienced but stresses the meat vs trophy. However, my understanding is first rifle season is a lottery so have to go 2nd rifle season and buy a license over the counter. Has to be a bull tag. I think his annual fee is $4000 per guest. He provides lodging (has a cabin in the moutains, food and will field dress, skin and quarter the elk. You then have the $675 for the elk tag, customary 10% to 15% tip, butcher fee, ammo, gun and travel/hotel/per diem to his house. Very expensive. Maybe cheaper ones out there but I trust him completely (known him a long time) to do his best to find us elk. However chances to see a legal bull are low during 2nd rifle season, weather may not cooperate and you have to hunt on public land with other hunters. A friend of mine supplies his own gear and doesn't use a guide. Says it cost him $1500 to hunt elk but not sure if that includes the elk tag. Certainly a private ranch hunt would increase your chances of bagging a hunt.

Jetjockey

My nephew and his wife own Timber to Table Outfitters. I am going in October to hunt in Colorado with them. He is already booked for 2023 as far as I know. I had to book this hunt in 2021 as he gets booked every year it seems. He is very ethical, honest experienced but stresses the meat vs trophy. However, my understanding is first rifle season is a lottery so have to go 2nd rifle season and buy a license over the counter. Has to be a bull tag. I think his annual fee is $4000 per guest. He provides lodging (has a cabin in the moutains, food and will field dress, skin and quarter the elk. You then have the $675 for the elk tag, customary 10% to 15% tip, butcher fee, ammo, gun and travel/hotel/per diem to his house. Very expensive. Maybe cheaper ones out there but I trust him completely (known him a long time) to do his best to find us elk. However chances to see a legal bull are low during 2nd rifle season, weather may not cooperate and you have to hunt on public land with other hunters. A friend of mine supplies his own gear and doesn't use a guide. Says it cost him $1500 to hunt elk but not sure if that includes the elk tag. Certainly a private ranch hunt would increase your chances of bagging a hunt.
2nd season is OTC in about 95 units, and 1st season rifle is on points, not a lottery. Success rates during 2nd season can be very good, BUT, you have to go in past the “weekend warriors” and you better be determined and in great shape, or have horses. I’ve seen some really, really nice bulls killed from the OTC units, but if you see a legal bull, you better shoot it.