This might be controversial

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I've never really seen the point in youth hunts, you can already take a kid to any hunt or any season. The generation before this all got into hunting without special youth opportunities all over the place. If that were still the case none of this would be controversial, just a parent and child going hunting and it doesn't matter who pulls the trigger.

But but but “hunter opportunity”

If we don’t have a special season we can’t say they had a chance to kill something ?

I took my kids alligator hunting last year and gator was tagged under their name but obviously they didn’t do it alone without my help.

I think the point of some of the adult child big game hunts are to give kids first crack at deer or whatever. The game are less spooked, more of them, etc. I killed my first deer on a GA adult child hunt at Blanton Creek WMA 26 years ago and I’ve taken my kids on lots of adult child hunts over the years. We’ve had many great memorable hunts.

I’m glad the state has these special hunts on a few WMAs and I’m also glad state allows kids to hunt hunt with rifles muzzleloader season and a chance at gobblers one weekend before the adults. if you are an adult hunter who is jealous that kids get a chance at your deer or Turkey before you do, I’m sorry.

dtala

I've never really seen the point in youth hunts, you can already take a kid to any hunt or any season. The generation before this all got into hunting without special youth opportunities all over the place. If that were still the case none of this would be controversial, just a parent and child going hunting and it doesn't matter who pulls the trigger.

exactly how I feel about special hunts. Just carry the child hunting with you.

lancek742

There are parents out there too selfish to take their kids during the regular season but I don’t know that youth day here or there will fix the damage that comes from that.
See this way too often. My son is grown now and I still love hunting with him. He is the 1 in fact that took me duck hunting for the first time and absolutely love it. I am still a huge fan of getting kids in the woods and on the water. I will gladly take any child any season when ever they want to go.

treadwell

I agree 100%. Nothing says a parent can't take their kid opening day of the REGULAR season.

Tomboy Boots

Turkey Killer
I took my kids alligator hunting last year and gator was tagged under their name but obviously they didn’t do it alone without my help.

I think the point of some of the adult child big game hunts are to give kids first crack at deer or whatever. The game are less spooked, more of them, etc. I killed my first deer on a GA adult child hunt at Blanton Creek WMA 26 years ago and I’ve taken my kids on lots of adult child hunts over the years. We’ve had many great memorable hunts.

I’m glad the state has these special hunts on a few WMAs and I’m also glad state allows kids to hunt hunt with rifles muzzleloader season and a chance at gobblers one weekend before the adults. if you are an adult hunter who is jealous that kids get a chance at your deer or Turkey before you do, I’m sorry.

This doesn't just apply to KIDS hunting gators. Very few if any gators are tagged by an adult that did it alone without any help. Gator hunting is more of a team hunt. It's a chance for you and your friends to all enjoy the experience of hunting alligators. Gator hunting more so than other types of hunting is something you do as a group effort. My 12 year old grandson got his first gator this year and my 12 year old granddaughter was there helping too. It was awesome!

I realize we can take kids on any adult hunt. There is just something special about setting aside time that is dedicated to taking a child hunting. My grandchildren have been on Youth Quota Osceola Turkey hunts in Florida as well as Youth Quota Eastern Turkey hunts in Georgia (where my granddaughter killed her first turkey when she was 9), Youth Quota Deer and Dove hunts... so many wonderful memories for all of us.BryceGator1.jpg

Waddams

I hope that 5 year old and his dad have a grand old time together, even if it is really dad getting to hunt and using his son as an excuse for the youth tag. Honestly, I don't have a problem with it all. I think the quality time as well as baking in a love of outdoors and hunting in the 5 year old by creating a great memory from his childhood is just what we need more of in this country right now.

God bless 'em and good luck to 'em.

I agree 100%. Nothing says a parent can't take their kid opening day of the REGULAR season.
whats the harm in giving children one weekend earlier to hunt un-pressured deer, Turkey, whatever???
It’s just that adults want to be able to kill those animals instead of those kids. That’s pretty sad.
My kids hunt all season long but it isn’t too much to give them a couple days ahead of us grown hunters to get a shot at something. I imagine the adults who are opposed to youth season simply don’t participate in youth seasons so have no use for them. Am I correct?

lampern

whats the harm in giving children one weekend earlier to hunt un-pressured deer, Turkey, whatever???

Because it is not and never has been necessary.

But I guess I see a difference in a 5 year old hunting an elk vs a deer, even if there is no difference in reality.

Last edited:

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
My opinion on children hunting alone or under certain ages, regardless of maturity, is not popular. That same opinion applies to child only hunts.

Pipebiker

Whenever I have taken my kids/grandkids hunting, I don’t even carry a gun with me. They are the ones doing the hunting, I’m being the parent. We’ve had some nice bucks walk by that I could have killed that they weren’t able to hit a shot off …. But that’s all part of the learning process for them. For me, adult/child hunts, only the child should be shooting . But each to their own

sportsman94

Because it is not and never has been necessary.

But I guess I see a difference in a 5 year old hunting an elk vs a deer, even if there is no difference in reality.

It’s not necessary until a grown man encroaches on a child on a dove field cause he/she is in the good spot. Or a grown man sprints to an area in the woods to beat a child to a public land spot so they don’t hunt “his” deer. Or they “heard that turkey first.” I don’t think it would be necessary if courtesy was common. I like the idea of youth getting a crack at something before greedy adults do. Of course, greedy adults will weasel their way into anything. I think youth hunts are a good thing, even if there are abuses of the system.

tr21

Until a kid can safely carry, hold, and operate a gun for himself, he's got no business being an excuse for Dad to kill a deer....
yea but like in Alabama most 5 year olds have beards and can drive a car. when you ask them how old they are they go 1,2,3,4,5 :unsure:.........:huh:I must be 5. yea but your 6ft tall, :unsure:maybe I'm 6 then !!!!:rofl::rofl:

earlthegoat2

I started hunting in the 90s when special youth seasons started becoming a thing. I didn’t like them then or now.

I’m not a trophy hunter so sorry not jealous. It just reeks of more coddling of youth.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I was pretty good at 6yo. 1st grade. How I long for them days to run around hunting with my dad.
So who am I to take this opportunity away from this child and parent.
Maybe they won’t orphan a baby elk in the process. Or hunt a property line.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Unless those 'greedy adults' are using kids during youth hunts
Go sit with them then. Your not the one if this occurs! The parent is and they will have to live with it.
I say worry about something that’s for real.