10/22 stock chop for youth

cephus91

I have a wooden stock 10/22 that my two young kids enjoy shooting, but the stock is too long for them. I am thinking about chopping the back of the stock off and installing a recoil pad. Anyone have any experience with this? The chopping part should be easy, my main question is how long to make the stock. The aftermarket Hogue youth stock says it has a 12” length of pull. If someone has a Crickett or other similar youth gun can you tell me the measurement from the trigger to the back of the stock? Thanks.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
I can measure my sons cricket tonight.

GunnSmokeer

I like a 12" - 12.5" length of pull for a youth gun or boy's rifle.
I've cut down a few .22 rifles, a .410 shotgun, and a pellet rifle stock for my nephews.

A 12" length of pull is still USEABLE by an adult. It may not be a perfect fit, but it's OK.

Some kids of small size and short arms might be better off with an 11" length of pull, but then they'll surely outgrow it when they get to be teenagers and beyond.

bronco611

there are so many people who do conversions on the 10/22 platform that I would go to gun brokers or GA classifieds and place an ad to try and find one that someone would part with for free before I would cut my factory stock. Just a thought, I have seen times when they were given away or sold really cheap. If you decide to cut your stock when your son grows and the pull length is too short you can always add a 1 1/2 to 2 inch recoil pad to the rear of the stock to lengthen it without buying a new stock.

Eddy M.

GONetwork Member
Last edited:

cephus91

My gun has the cheap birch wood stock. I was planning on getting an aftermarket stock anyway for me, so I have no problems chopping the existing stock. I think I am going to cut it to 11" and then add a recoil pad later on to extend the length as the kids get older. Thanks for all the input.

My gun has the cheap birch wood stock. I was planning on getting an aftermarket stock anyway for me, so I have no problems chopping the existing stock. I think I am going to cut it to 11" and then add a recoil pad later on to extend the length as the kids get older. Thanks for all the input.

Brownell's sell hard rubber spacer that do this, easy to install, and not too expensive.

Old Coach

Flip-Flop Pad

Just cut it to whatever LOP you decide and add a Flip-Flop pad.
Get a cheap pair of Flops at Dollar General and use one for the pad. Set the butt of the stock on the flop and cut it to fit the stock. Use glue to cement it to the wood.
It can be easily removed if needed later.

Coach

cephus91

Good idea. May try that. Ended up chopping at 11.5." Fits both kids good at this length. Going to try shooting with raw wood and see how that goes. When it warms up (and they are wearing less clothes) will probably add a pad.

Attachments

• IMG_3340.JPG
    IMG_3340.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_3341.JPG
    IMG_3341.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_3342.JPG
    IMG_3342.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 154

wareagle700

Looks like a good job so far. You can always pick up another wood 10/22 stock for cheap if it doesn't come out just like you want it.

GunnSmokeer

Good job on the cut.

Instead of a dollar store sandal as the "butt pad" in the future, how about using one of those slip-on rubber butt pads?

Here's one for $7. Others are priced around $10 or $15.

http://www.paradestore.com/index.ph...mpaign=Feeds&gclid=CK3fnYygisQCFYsbgQodyzkAQA

They add an inch to the length-of-pull on whatever gun they're used with. You can either slip them on, or cut off the thin rubber sleeve and just use the actual butt pad part, attaching it with glue or some drywall screws (thin, sharply pointed). Recess the heads into the butt pad material and it will be secure and comfy to use.