Marlin 60 repair, range test, and the WORST .22 ammo EVER!

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Got out my old Marlin 60 the other day, just for old times sake. After about 30 rounds, it started acting "funny". I also thought I heard something rattling around in it.

Went inside and opened her up, and found that besides being FILTHY, the plastic recoil buffer had disintegrated. There actually WAS stuff rattlin' around in it.

Here's all that was left of the original piece...What you see here is the bottom 1/2 of the original.

IMG_20231113_155821574.jpg

The recoil spring had also broken roughly in half, but the gun still worked. How, I don't know...

Taking a closer look, I found that the charging handle has peened the receiver just a little bit. No way for me to know how long this has been a problem, because I never noticed it before.

IMG_20231113_161734692.jpg

I went parts shopping, and Numrich had just the things I needed, for $20. Fast shipping, too. Aftermarket parts, because new original parts are long gone...

After watching a couple videos, I decided to take the action apart, and try to fix it myself. It was not as bad as it looked, and I got her back together and functioning fine.

It's still a good shooter, with a little Leupold Rimfire 4x on top, and 15 rounds still go quickly, as they did when I was a kid...

Here's 50, at 50 yards...

IMG_20231113_155516251.jpg

I'm pretty pleased with the results of my DIY fix it job!!

Now, if you wanna know the crappiest ammo I have ever seen, here it is...

IMG_20231113_155849352.jpg

Out of about 200 rounds, I had eight failure to fires, and probably another 8 or so that were either too loud, or not loud enough. I even tried to fire six of the duds in my Single Six, and it wouldn't light em off either...

8% failure rate is not acceptable. These bullets suck, and unfortunately I have four more boxes of the things to shoot up.

Looks like The Kid and Little Brother will get some experience clearing malfunctions, if we're looking for the bright side...

At any rate, the Old 60 is back in service, and as much fun as ever!

IMG_20231113_155739776.jpg

*If you own a Marlin 60, pop it out of the stock, and check your buffer. This is a well documented problem, and a pretty easy fix!

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
So Ruger is in the ammo bidness and you’re gonna be a gunsmith. We’ll have our own forum armory fore long. I never bought a model 60, had a good friend that could shoot one like an expert. They were reasonable priced, I had plenty of other types to shoot, should have got a couple and put them up.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I’ve a 60 and their great guns. Thanks for the repair tip.

Sadly, I think I have a box of that ammo. I’ll run it through a bolt action.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I’ve a 60 and their great guns. Thanks for the repair tip.

Sadly, I think I have a box of that ammo. I’ll run it through a bolt action.

Either that, or practice clearing failures...:bounce:

This stuff is in the "shoot it up and get rid of it pile" for sure!

I just looked, and I have FIVE more boxes of this junk...

Them grand boys will be HAPPY to dispose of it properly!

:biggestshoot:

fauxferret

Just a heads up check out jack first next time when you need vintage gun parts. I personally despise numrich. They usually have new production parts for significantly less. If they don’t have what you’re looking for call them! They have thousands of parts not found online. They just can’t accommodate what they manufacture. As a gunsmith this company has saved me so many times. Especially with the older Remington, marlin rifles. They even have the old marlin bullseyes in stock.

rosewood

I checked Jack First a while back and I thought their prices were ridiculously high.

bighonkinjeep

Got out my old Marlin 60 the other day, just for old times sake. After about 30 rounds, it started acting "funny". I also thought I heard something rattling around in it.

Went inside and opened her up, and found that besides being FILTHY, the plastic recoil buffer had disintegrated. There actually WAS stuff rattlin' around in it.

Here's all that was left of the original piece...What you see here is the bottom 1/2 of the original.

View attachment 1269062

The recoil spring had also broken roughly in half, but the gun still worked. How, I don't know...

Taking a closer look, I found that the charging handle has peened the receiver just a little bit. No way for me to know how long this has been a problem, because I never noticed it before.

View attachment 1269066

I went parts shopping, and Numrich had just the things I needed, for $20. Fast shipping, too. Aftermarket parts, because new original parts are long gone...

After watching a couple videos, I decided to take the action apart, and try to fix it myself. It was not as bad as it looked, and I got her back together and functioning fine.

It's still a good shooter, with a little Leupold Rimfire 4x on top, and 15 rounds still go quickly, as they did when I was a kid...

View attachment 1269067

View attachment 1269068

Out of about 200 rounds, I had eight failure to fires, and probably another 8 or so that were either too loud, or not loud enough. I even tried to fire six of the duds in my Single Six, and it wouldn't light em off either...

8% failure rate is not acceptable. These bullets suck, and unfortunately I have four more boxes of the things to shoot up.

Looks like The Kid and Little Brother will get some experience clearing malfunctions, if we're looking for the bright side...

View attachment 1269073

*If you own a Marlin 60, pop it out of the stock, and check your buffer. This is a well documented problem, and a pretty easy fix!
When ammo was in very short supply I had several boxs of Winchester .22LR 333s also that came in a white box that had a really high failure rate. Almost like they didnt have any priming compound in them or something.
I contacted Winchester and they sent me a return label and had UPS pick them up from the house for return.
Then they sent me a coupon/voucher for Winchester ammo. Think it was for like $30 If I remember right.
On the down side no one would accept the voucher at any of the 3 local gun shops I tried or at Walmart or Academy.
Finally got Bass Pro Shops to agree to accept the coupon/voucher but I used it towards some centerfire rifle ammo.

Dr. Strangelove

Had a Model 60 in the late 80's, great little gun. It disappeared one day out of the basement, I never did find out what happened to it.

transfixer

I picked up a Marlin 995 the other weekend, its basically a mdl 60 in a Walnut stock with a magazine , instead of a tube, I haven't taken it apart yet, will do that this weekend probably, I'll check the buffer and spring, and give it a good cleaning, going to put a scope on it, and have ordered a couple extra mags for it, I've always like Marlin 22's, this one will go along with my mdl 81dl bolt action I have that has a factory peep sight on it,

rosewood

Just to check my work, I stole some black nail polish from my Squaw, and painted the peen mark on the back of the receiver.

Just fired 15 thru it, and zero damage to the new paint job!
Isn't it nice to know that even with broken parts, the Ole marlin still worked?

tcward

View attachment 1269062

View attachment 1269066

View attachment 1269067

View attachment 1269068

View attachment 1269073

I’ve got a 60 that does the same with that ammo and the wildcat stuff. My 10/22 devours them. Good info on the repair!

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I’ve got a 60 that does the same with that ammo and the wildcat stuff. My 10/22 devours them. Good info on the repair!
This crap that I have is having malfunctions in everything. The Mod60, 10-22s, a Rossi Pump, heck like I said a Single Six won't even set some of em off...lol.

I think I got a hold of a case made on Vacation Friday, or Hangover Monday!!

Always a few hiccups with bulk box of about any brand, but this is the worst stuff I ever used. And I have used a bunch of .22...

transfixer

I'll have to look in my ammo box I keep 22 ammo in to see if I have any of that Winchester stuff, I don't remember what I have in that box, haven't shot much 22lr in the last few years, but I have bought ammo when I run across it for a good price, going to need to buy more when I get this last Marlin set up the way I want it .