17-foot Burmese python

Jeffriesw

http://myfwc.com/NEWSROOM/09/statewide/News_09_X_Python3.htm

News Release
(Click on photo for larger image.)

This captured Burmese python measured 17 feet.
(Photo courtesy FWC)

Staff from an animal hospital hold the python that was caught on the facility's property.
(Photo courtesy of Okeechobee Veterinary Hospital)

17-foot Burmese python caught in Okeechobee County

For immediate release: July 31, 2009

A 17-foot-2-inch Burmese python was caught and destroyed on private property in Okeechobee County Thursday afternoon. The male snake weighed 207 pounds, and measured 26 inches in diameter. Its stomach contents were examined, but nothing identifiable was found inside.

Officers with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) scanned the python but did not find a microchip. As a Reptile of Concern, Burmese pythons must be licensed by FWC's Captive Wildlife Section and implanted with a microchip to be kept as a pet.

FWC worked with the Florida Legislature and the reptile industry to establish and implement tighter restrictions in 2007 to help prevent the escape or release of these exotic species. The new rule requires an annual $100 license and mandatory caging requirements. In addition, Burmese pythons more than 2 inches in diameter must be implanted with a microchip that identifies the origin of the animal. This rule applies to all Reptiles of Concern, which include Burmese pythons, Indian pythons, reticulated pythons, African rock pythons, amethystine or scrub pythons, green anacondas and Nile monitor lizards. It is unlawful to allow one to escape or to release one into the wild.

"The capture of this large python shows us how well these snakes can thrive in the wild and create a dangerous situation after illegal release or escape," said FWC Chairman Rodney Barreto. "It also illustrates why the FWC is partnering with other agencies to implement python control measures in South Florida. We will continue to push for additional measures to control the spread of Burmese pythons in the Everglades where they are reproducing in large numbers."

On July 17, the FWC launched a permit program, allowing reptile experts to capture and euthanize Burmese pythons on state-managed lands around the Everglades. To date, seven permits have been issued and five pythons have been captured. Several more permits will be issued in the coming weeks. The permit holders must collect data on captured pythons and submit that information to the FWC.

The program continues until Oct. 31, at which time the FWC will analyze the data and determine if the program should be extended or expanded.

shortround1

Gone But Not Forgotten
http://myfwc.com/NEWSROOM/09/statewide/News_09_X_Python3.htm

News Release
(Click on photo for larger image.)

This captured Burmese python measured 17 feet.
(Photo courtesy FWC)

Staff from an animal hospital hold the python that was caught on the facility's property.
(Photo courtesy of Okeechobee Veterinary Hospital)

17-foot Burmese python caught in Okeechobee County

For immediate release: July 31, 2009

A 17-foot-2-inch Burmese python was caught and destroyed on private property in Okeechobee County Thursday afternoon. The male snake weighed 207 pounds, and measured 26 inches in diameter. Its stomach contents were examined, but nothing identifiable was found inside.

Officers with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) scanned the python but did not find a microchip. As a Reptile of Concern, Burmese pythons must be licensed by FWC's Captive Wildlife Section and implanted with a microchip to be kept as a pet.

FWC worked with the Florida Legislature and the reptile industry to establish and implement tighter restrictions in 2007 to help prevent the escape or release of these exotic species. The new rule requires an annual $100 license and mandatory caging requirements. In addition, Burmese pythons more than 2 inches in diameter must be implanted with a microchip that identifies the origin of the animal. This rule applies to all Reptiles of Concern, which include Burmese pythons, Indian pythons, reticulated pythons, African rock pythons, amethystine or scrub pythons, green anacondas and Nile monitor lizards. It is unlawful to allow one to escape or to release one into the wild.

"The capture of this large python shows us how well these snakes can thrive in the wild and create a dangerous situation after illegal release or escape," said FWC Chairman Rodney Barreto. "It also illustrates why the FWC is partnering with other agencies to implement python control measures in South Florida. We will continue to push for additional measures to control the spread of Burmese pythons in the Everglades where they are reproducing in large numbers."

On July 17, the FWC launched a permit program, allowing reptile experts to capture and euthanize Burmese pythons on state-managed lands around the Everglades. To date, seven permits have been issued and five pythons have been captured. Several more permits will be issued in the coming weeks. The permit holders must collect data on captured pythons and submit that information to the FWC.

The program continues until Oct. 31, at which time the FWC will analyze the data and determine if the program should be extended or expanded.
why was it killed? i bet some zoo would have rescued it. i know their is a viable population of these in the everglades.:huh:

Jeffriesw

That will make you look around a bit when walking in the dark:hair:

Jeffriesw

I'm headed to the green swamp and richloam WMA's here in Central Florida this weekend to do a bit more scouting. I hope I never see one of those rascals in the dark or light, Either way I got to buy new drawers at that point.

patchestc

Holy komoli!!:hair: THEY SHOULD HAVE PUT HIM IN THE
NEXT TARZAN MOVIE.

dbodkin

Another illegal alien..::ke: Time to start open season on Pythons...:huh:

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
had a friend up in gwinnett county that had one about that length back in the early 90's.

no lie he came to work one day with it in a rx7!

bilgerat

Senior
heres the photo

Attachments

• 518-0731snake_embedded_prod_affiliate_56.jpg
    518-0731snake_embedded_prod_affiliate_56.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 1,027

Swamprat

Swamprat
. i know their is a viable population of these in the everglades.:huh:

By viable do you mean the estimated 100,000 of these things living in the Everglades and surrounding areas.

They are considered a exoctic nuisance that will do more damage to native wildlife unless they are exterminated. Some of the ones loose came from zoos or captive areas but they escaped after Hurricane Andrew tore apart their enclosures.

Dudley Do-Wrong

why was it killed? i bet some zoo would have rescued it. i know their is a viable population of these in the everglades.:huh:
Not sure what you mean by viable.

1. Capable of living, developing, or germinating under favorable conditions.
2. Capable of living outside the uterus. Used of a fetus or newborn.
3. Capable of success or continuing effectiveness; practicable

By those definitions, I guess so except the "practicable" def.

These snakes are NOT part of the natural ecosystem and anytime one introduces a foreign organism to an ecosystem, the effects can be devastating. That is why there is no viable reason to allow them to thrive in the everglades.

swamp hunter

Heck , They add a little WOW factor to my morning dark walk to my tree stands. Nothing liks stepping over a log and it grabs you!!.

CamoCop

seriously, this isn't a "rare" snake that any zoo would be interested in. any non native reptile species should be killed on the spot when found free ranging in the wilderness. i guess if there was a Black Mamba population explosion in your area, you would still feel the need to relocate instead of irradication.

How2fish

I was thinking of a way to fix this problem...I have 2 ideas..boots and belts..:banana: