1911s question

Darkhorse

What is the difference between a Garrison and a Loaded?
There are, or where, 2 models of the Springfield Loaded 1911. A blue version and a stainless version.
The blued version came with night sites. The stainless came with regular sites.

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
As @Dub Said don't discount the Rock Island Armory pistols.

I have a couple and they will shoot lights out with any sub 1000.00 pistol out there.

My EDC is the BBR 3.10 .45. I have almost 1000 rounds through it and only one failure to eject, and I was expecting it, blazer aluminum cased on purpose.

Dub

There are, or where, 2 models of the Springfield Loaded 1911. A blue version and a stainless version.
The blued version came with night sites. The stainless came with regular sites.
(y)

Blue & stainless options as well with the Garrison.

Jester896

Senior Clown
don't some of those Service Models have a fixed or staked front sight? It could be hard to upgrade them with Novak or other dovetail mounts for night sights couldn't it?

Dub

don't some of those Service Models have a fixed or staked front sight? It could be hard to upgrade them with Novak or other dovetail mounts for night sights couldn't it?

Yes.
The staked type front would have to be replaced with another tenon style front.

Harrison makes a nice rear that can be drifted into place on the traditional type.

For serious sight options the slide should have dovetails cut. Can send them off to places to have this done…..or can buy the gun with it already equipped with dovetail cuts….example the Garrison, Loaded, TRP, Ronin, etc.

SA uses different dovetail cuts than Colt. Places like Dawson Precision, Novak sand others will have sights to fit most dovetails.

The other thing to consider is the beavertail grip safety. It is a great option to start off with for many. The DIY kits usually come out poorly, looking like trash.

Some things are best left to actual gunsmiths.

Actual gunsmiths will likely only want to work on forged frame & slide.

The polymer age has led to so many cost down solutions…….now gun manf attempt to bring out 1911 at these same cost down levels and it is a sham. They do so sacrificing somewhere.

Certainly CNC precision helps cut labor cost, but often cheap internals are used in budget 1911s.

Last edited:

pacecars

It
Yes.
The staked type front would have to be replaced with another tenon style front.

Harrison makes a nice rear that can be drifted into place on the traditional type.

For serious sight options the slide should have dovetails cut. Can send them off to places to have this done…..or can buy the gun with it already equipped with dovetail cuts….example the Garrison, Loaded, TRP, Ronin, etc.

SA uses different dovetail cuts than Colt. Places like Dawson Precision, Novak sand others will have sights to fit most dovetails.

The other thing to consider is the beavertail grip safety. It is a great option to start off with for many. The DIY kits usually come out poorly, looking like trash.

Some things are best left to actual gunsmiths.

Actual gunsmiths will likely only want to work on forged frame & slide.

The polymer age has led to so many cost down solutions…….now gun manf attempt to bring out 1911 at these same cost down levels and it is a sham. They do so sacrificing somewhere.

Certainly CNC precision helps cut labor cost, but often cheap internals are used in budget 1911s.

Kinda like some Kimbers I have handled. You would think a $1200 gun would have a metal mainspring housing

Jester896

Senior Clown
it doesn't bother me if the mainspring housing in an aluminum frame was plastic...if it did I guess would change the one in my Kimber. A steel or other alloy frame is a different story for me...all of those I own have a steel mainspring housings.

pacecars

it doesn't bother me if the mainspring housing in an aluminum frame was plastic...if it did I guess would change the one in my Kimber. A steel or other alloy frame is a different story for me...all of those I own have a steel mainspring housings.
I will admit to only owning one Kimber. I had heard all the stories about how bad they were. My good friend was a gun dealer (since retired and moved to Tennessee dang it) and sold Kimbers. He warned me, he said he had more Kimbers returned to Kimber than any other gun. He said they were hit or miss and if you got a good one it was usually great but if not you had a 3 lb hammer. I saw the Kimber Camp Guard and I was in love. Two tone, checkered front strap, bobtail cut, night sites, nice grips and best of all in 10mm. I said I had pretty good luck with guns and found one on Gunbroker and bought it. Pulled it out of the box and it felt good and looked great. I looked it over and noticed the mainspring housing was plastic. No big deal, I can replace it with a good one I thought but it seemed a little stupid for a $1200 gun. Took it to the range and the 2nd shot jammed. Well crap. Tried it again, third round jammed. Tried the other mag it came with and same thing. I brought along some Wilson’s, Tripp, Checkmate and a couple McCorrmick mags (lots of 10mm have passed through my hands) and couldn’t get any to go past 3 rounds with out a jam of some kind. They all were different in the way they jammed. Well poo. I could have sent it back to Kimber or had a gunsmith look at it but I was ****ed! I sold it and did disclose the jamming issue. I don’t appreciate paying to be a company’s R&D person!

B. White

I'm sort of a fan of American 1911s. :flag:

Maybe it is just a mental roadblock....but it's there and I shudder at the the thought of other stuff.

That being said....there is a lot of value to be found with Rock Island Armory and a couple others.

I have a RIA 10mm that is insanely accurate. Not a fan of how they had the safeties set up when I received it.....but the trigger break is clean & light and it's a shooter.

I liked my RIA 10mm well enough to buy their commander .45s. I like them both. I was at an indoor range several years ago and Let a young nurse and a couple of other women shoot the 10mm. They all loved it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dub

Jester896

Senior Clown
@pacecars mine seems to be a hit up to this point. It needs another set of new springs but I am a little hesitant. There wasn't a hiccup on the 1st 2 sets...maybe I should get some coming. That l'il 3" rascal was my EDC for a good while...and the only one I own

sorry you weren't as fortunate

pacecars

@pacecars mine seems to be a hit up to this point. It needs another set of new springs but I am a little hesitant. There wasn't a hiccup on the 1st 2 sets...maybe I should get some coming. That l'il 3" rascal was my EDC for a good while...and the only one I own

sorry you weren't as fortunate
Thanks. I really wanted to like it. It had the perfect design. I liked the looks of their Super Jagere but I was afraid to risk it so went with a DW Bruin and am adding a red dot to it

Dub

Thanks. I really wanted to like it. It had the perfect design. I liked the looks of their Super Jagere but I was afraid to risk it so went with a DW Bruin and am adding a red dot to it

Well..... curiosity got the best of me and I had to go look at what a Kimber Super Jägare was.

6"
10mm
bobtailed frame
optic equipped
MSRP $2,900

Whew.

A 6" gun is gonna be a bit front biased with the balance. A bobbed frame isn't what my paw needs on such a gun. I would think that other folks would have similar trouble with such a gun.

$2,900. That price opens the door to some other very serious considerations.

I'd wager your Bruin is three times the gun for lower price, even after you add in the optic, cut, slide refinish.

pacecars

Yep. A lot cheaper and a lot better. I actually prefer the bobtail cut on 1911s. I have been thinking about having it cut

Robert28

I’ve never owned a Kimber but I’ve always like their Stainless II model. Always said I’d pick one up if I ever came across one in a gun shop, don’t want to really take a chance ordering one online though. My first ever 1911 was a Springfield Mil-spec and I loved that gun. If I didn’t sell it to buy my Colt 70 series I have now, I’d still own it. There really aren’t too many 1911’s out there today I’d turn my nose up at.

pacecars

Here is your absolute answer. I believe Dub mentioned it above. If I hadn’t just bought the Ed Brown and am thinking real hard on another Shiloh Sharps I would buy one immediately

Last edited:

pacecars