1st Spring Bear Hunt

splatek

UAEC
I’m not much of a turkey hunter, which usually leaves my spring for trout fishing and/or scouting. This year things started to change about two to three months ago when @twincedargap started talking about a western spring bear hunt. I had a very short window of time when I could make it happen, but it worked out.

We hunted two different ranges. Over 70 miles hiking, most at elevations at or above Georgia’s highest peak. Many, many more miles in the Jeep looking for the bears. Hard to put into words what the experience was like, but I learned a lot. We saw turkeys, elk, mule deer, whitetail (so many whitetail), moose, grouse, huge rabbits, trout, trash fish (I mean white fish), black bears and grizzly. I think pictures do it more Justice.

Camp
IMG_5807.jpeg
IMG_2305.jpeg

Glassing, ridges, etc.
IMG_5827.jpeg
IMG_2397.jpeg
IMG_5831.jpeg

Forgot my spoon so had to get creative

IMG_2430.jpeg

These stumps can really stump a new hunter. Can’t count how many times we glassed up a burnt stump thinking it was a feeding or bedded bear.

IMG_2413.jpeg

About three days before our hunt was over we bumped two bears less than a mile apart in the Jeep. Also saw a griz that day. On the last half of the last day we decided to get back to that road and creep along on foot. Started at 4100 feet climbing over a 1000 feet, slipping along at a snails pace. And almost exactly where we bumped a bear just two days previously we turned a corner and there was a large, gorgeous chocolate black bear. I was not prepared for this. I was prepared for a 300 yard bipod shot. I fumbled, took too long and by the time I got the crosshairs settled all I had was a Texas heart shot for about a second and then he was gone. I was gutted. We walked until dark bumping another bear even closer to where we had bumped the second bear in the truck. We both said “hunt where the bears are, not where you want them to be.” They weren’t on the big hillsides to be glassed as we watched in every YouTube video available. They were in a thick cover terrain feature with vibrant green grass in patches of clover.

I could chalk this non harvest as a loss, but I learned so much. Experienced big country. Took in the sights. Saw a ton of game; shoot we got so close to a mule deer we joked that I should throw a rock at it (I didn’t). I learned about gear choices. Built camaraderie. We joked on the way to the airport that for all the videos and research we did about western spring bear hunting, we ended up getting on bears and hunting then the same way we hunt them back here on CNF.

This trip made me a better hunter. Period.

ddd-shooter

I’m not much of a turkey hunter, which usually leaves my spring for trout fishing and/or scouting. This year things started to change about two to three months ago when @twincedargap started talking about a western spring bear hunt. I had a very short window of time when I could make it happen, but it worked out.

We hunted two different ranges. Over 70 miles hiking, most at elevations at or above Georgia’s highest peak. Many, many more miles in the Jeep looking for the bears. Hard to put into words what the experience was like, but I learned a lot. We saw turkeys, elk, mule deer, whitetail (so many whitetail), moose, grouse, huge rabbits, trout, trash fish (I mean white fish), black bears and grizzly. I think pictures do it more Justice.

Camp
View attachment 1229475
View attachment 1229476

Glassing, ridges, etc.
View attachment 1229477
View attachment 1229478
View attachment 1229479

Forgot my spoon so had to get creative

View attachment 1229480

These stumps can really stump a new hunter. Can’t count how many times we glassed up a burnt stump thinking it was a feeding or bedded bear.

View attachment 1229481

About three days before our hunt was over we bumped two bears less than a mile apart in the Jeep. Also saw a griz that day. On the last half of the last day we decided to get back to that road and creep along on foot. Started at 4100 feet climbing over a 1000 feet, slipping along at a snails pace. And almost exactly where we bumped a bear just two days previously we turned a corner and there was a large, gorgeous chocolate black bear. I was not prepared for this. I was prepared for a 300 yard bipod shot. I fumbled, took too long and by the time I got the crosshairs settled all I had was a Texas heart shot for about a second and then he was gone. I was gutted. We walked until dark bumping another bear even closer to where we had bumped the second bear in the truck. We both said “hunt where the bears are, not where you want them to be.” They weren’t on the big hillsides to be glassed as we watched in every YouTube video available. They were in a thick cover terrain feature with vibrant green grass in patches of clover.

I could chalk this non harvest as a loss, but I learned so much. Experienced big country. Took in the sights. Saw a ton of game; shoot we got so close to a mule deer we joked that I should throw a rock at it (I didn’t). I learned about gear choices. Built camaraderie. We joked on the way to the airport that for all the videos and research we did about western spring bear hunting, we ended up getting on bears and hunting then the same way we hunt them back here on CNF.

This trip made me a better hunter. Period.
Man that’s awesome!! Seems like an adventure for sure. And you did a darn sight better than most who stayed in the house so don’t let anyone take your accomplishment from ya.

I haven’t western hunted much (barely at all) but I do remind people that when they see game, stop wandering around and focus there. But the country is so pretty, it’s almost against your instinct to stop scouting. I get it.
Well done! And thanks for the write up

Edit: would love to hear about your gear revelations as well

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That is an awesome experience in a wondrous place.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Congrats on a hunt of a lifetime ! And I had to look at that stump a couple times

splatek

UAEC
Man that’s awesome!! Seems like an adventure for sure. And you did a darn sight better than most who stayed in the house so don’t let anyone take your accomplishment from ya.

I haven’t western hunted much (barely at all) but I do remind people that when they see game, stop wandering around and focus there. But the country is so pretty, it’s almost against your instinct to stop scouting. I get it.
Well done! And thanks for the write up

Edit: would love to hear about your gear revelations as well

I’ll try to get a gear review/reflection up in the next week.

twincedargap

Some of my thoughts....

We averaged 11 miles a day with packs & guns that for me was close to 50 lbs.. Comfortable hikers that could resist being wet by creeks & snow were important. My pack was comfortable as it could be with the weight since I'd logged many miles with it on previous hunts carrying big game quarters. My favorite saying is don't change anything on race day. Go with what has been reliable & proven.

Good quality bino's that help pick apart the landscape w/o causing eye fatigue were key. I ususally didn't use a tripod for my bino's, but did with my spotter. I brought a qaulity carbon tripod for the spotter as I've learned its about useless on a shaky cheap tripod. A good ball head for the tripod is as important as the tripod itself.

While no shots were fired, I had put in plenty of range time out to 1,000 yards in preparation for what I expected would be a shot opporunity at 4-500 yards. In the end, we found our bear opportunities in close, but I'm confident long range shooting skills also apply to short range, so no wasted effort. I built confidence in my gun, optic, and ammo set up, that will be useful on other hunts to come.

We packed portable fishing gear along, so we were able to enjoy some downtime fishing for cutthroat trout, grayling, & whitefish. I'd brought a mini cooking grate, alu foil, and spices for fish or bear.

I remain a fan of a steripen for water treatment. Sure I carry iodine pills for backup, but nothing beats being able to take cold mountain stream water and treat it with light for 90 seconds. Its like water out of a refridgerator. I normally use a platypus water filteration system for camp water, https://www.rei.com/product/866422/platypus-gravityworks-water-filter-system-4-liter, but I'd brought along a collapsible 5 gal bladder that we filled prior to leaving town that lasted us for most of our hunt since we were living off mountain stream water during the day.

Our key hunt plans were destroyed by a road being washed out miles from our intended base camp. Had we had $100 Walmart mountain bikes, we still could have reached our intended drainages with a reasonable effort. Hiking the extra miles past the washout each day, twice a day wasn't acceptable, so we moved on to plan B & C areas. Mountain bikes would have been useful for most areas we hunted, many accessed using closed FS roads, and would have allowed us to hunt our originally intended areas.

A big take away is have a plan for when your plans go awry. In advance, we had multiple areas and strategies plotted & saved as backup plans. We didn't have to retreat to find a cell signal or wifi service to go research other areas to hunt when we realized our target area was out of reach. I had paper maps marked w/clusters of waypoints, glassing and feeding points. Side note, its just as important to have an intended glassing point as well as areas you'd think would be feeding areas. Feeding area waypoints are useless if you can see into them. I also had redundancy om my hunting app's, waypoints saved to both OnX and GAIA, and even some on Caltopo, in case I suffered a glitch.

And lastly, one of my more useful tools for adventure hunts is a small journal. I use a small 2"x3" note pad for each trip. While I capture each days events during downtime, I also find it useful to note what's working on the trip, what isn't, what I didn't use, or what was lacking. So when I get a chance to go back to an area, or plan another hunt, its nice to have that info for planning.

Last edited:

twincedargap

and as a post script, the most important element to a succesful hunt, having a hunting partner you know, have confidence in, and trust.

You never know when you may need your partner to save your life, or your hunt. A good partner is also someone that is physically and mentally prepared for the hunt, has good decision making ability, shares responsibilties in planning and executing the hunt, and one that can help keep focus and attention where its needed and away from where its not.

Big hunts like this are expensive, a huge commitment of time, away from family & work, and can be dangerous, so don't risk it to someone you can't trust.

Last edited:

splatek

UAEC
I too was prepared for a longer shot, not 1000 yards long but better than cnf long. I was hitting one inch at 300 no prob.

I’m sort of a budget hunter. But I could certainly use a better/more comfy pack. My binos were great and I used the aziak trekking poles Mono pod bino attachment. Man that stabilized things.

I could’ve used better, maybe orthotic insoles, bc my feet wore out.

It was pretty warm so I barely got to test my layering system, I didn’t have a glassing chair so that sucked. Having never been on a destination hunt and only been hunting four seasons I felt like I did ok. I learned a ton. I’ve already started perusing equipment sales to make the next trip better.

I had a little rei tent that worked great. One night I forgot to close up the vestibule and it got down into high 40s at night but my klymit 20 degree bag and air pad worked great. I didn’t even realize I forgot the vestibule until the am.

I think twin cedar had it right when he said v have multiple plans. We video chatted a week or two before departure to make sure we were on the same page, and had a few options. The road being washed out really threw a wrench in some well thought out planning and bikes could’ve been amazing. Hindsight.

Would do it again for sure.

KentuckyHeadhunter

For an easy lightweight packable sitting option I like the Big Agnes Skyline UL stool. Less than a pound I think. Curious what pack you'll upgrade to. Sooooo many options. And dollars haha.

twincedargap

The Rokslide forum has a classifieds section. I've bought "new to me" (used) packs & frames there for fair prices. There's also an optics section too. I have a SG pack w/a meat sled that is great. I also have Kuiu version (Rokslide classified special) that has a meat shelf option, but its not as easy to use (have to remove bag from frame), thus prefere the SG if I need to freight large quarters.