Bear hunting and feral pig hunting opportunities to be expanded on the Nantahala National Forest, NC

lampern

Changes proposed for 2024:

Bear H4.

Amend the bear rule to incorporate the following changes: • Update rule text to be consistent with the use of “designated bear management areas” terminology that is used in 15A NCAC 10D .0106. •

Shift the start date of the bear hunting season in the Mountain Bear Management Unit to add nine days and create Saturday openers for each of the two segments.

• Remove the prohibition on hunting bears with the aid of unprocessed bait during the second segment of the Mountain bear season on private lands.

• Correct rule text to clarify that dogs can be used to hunt bears in Franklin County.

Justification:

Additional hunting opportunity in early October is necessary to meet population management objectives for the Mountain Bear Management Unit. The Mountain bear population is increasing annually, and current levels of harvest are not meeting the objective established in the Black Bear Management Plan, which is to stabilize the population. Opening the Mountain bear season nine days earlier will serve to change the composition of the Mountain bear harvest, slow down bear population growth, and help meet the population objective, while providing additional bear hunting opportunities. Removing the prohibition on the use of unprocessed bait during the second segment will reduce regulation complexity without any biological impacts. Per G.S. 113-291.5 and since the Piedmont bear seasons were created in 2014, the intention has been to allow hunters to use dogs to hunt bears in Franklin County. However, this county was unintentionally included in the rule prohibiting the use of dogs to take bear. The amendments will correct this error in the rule.

H6.

Clarify when dogs may be used to take feral swine on game lands and establish additional opportunities for dogs to be used outside of an open deer or bear hunting season by individual game land rule.

Justification:

Feral swine hunting with dogs is a tradition in the far western counties of the State and feral swine populations have been established in the National Forest for more than 100 years. Feral swine are a non-desirable species that are legal to hunt during this time period. The proposed change expands opportunities to hunt feral swine with dogs.

menhadenman

Now if we could only have a youth season or an archery/black powder season. They cater to dog hunters and don’t leave much for the rest of us. Maybe the baiting will help me get the boys on one.

sprewett

So this is what I gathered:
Bear season will increase 9 days and will also be able to bait on private land.
Hog hunting with dogs will be basically anytime there isnt deer or bear season on public land.
Is this correct?

Last edited:

lampern

No the use of dogs for hogs will be subject to whenever the game department says they can be used.

This just allows the game folks to expand their use on public land when they want

This would be for outside the bear season dates

Last edited:

NCMTNHunter

So this is what I gathered:
Bear season will increase 9 days and will also be able to bait on private land.
Hog hunting with dogs will be basically anytime there isnt deer or bear season on public land.
Is this correct?
It will add 9 days to the first bear season. Both bear seasons will now open on Saturday instead of Monday. Bait will be legal on private land during the second bear season (it was already legal during the first season). You can hog hunt with dogs on public land anytime you can bear hunt with dogs.

menhadenman

It will add 9 days to the first bear season. Both bear seasons will now open on Saturday instead of Monday. Bait will be legal on private land during the second bear season (it was already legal during the first season). You can hog hunt with dogs on public land anytime you can bear hunt with dogs.

Same restrictions on bait correct?

I’d sure love to get some dog food and molasses out there like they do in Idaho!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Bear season in NC expanding by 9 days has hunter support
I would support some bear season in NC with no dogs allowed. And I come from a long line of hound hunters and used to keep and run bear hounds myself.

lampern

I would support some bear season in NC with no dogs allowed.

There is

There are game lands out there where no dogs are allowed or folks don't run dogs because the game land is too small

If you mean on the national forest, yeah I get what you are saying

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
There is

There are game lands out there where no dogs are allowed or folks don't run dogs because the game land is too small
Which doesn't amount to a thing. Pisgah and Nantahala is where it is needed.

NCMTNHunter

I would support some bear season in NC with no dogs allowed. And I come from a long line of hound hunters and used to keep and run bear hounds myself.
Me too. I always thought it would be good to have a bear season during the Muzzleloader deer season. It would give people a good opportunity and can't imagine enough bear getting killed to have an impact on the dog hunts later. It won't work out as well now that they will be moving muzzleloader season.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Me too. I always thought it would be good to have a bear season during the Muzzleloader deer season. It would give people a good opportunity and can't imagine enough bear getting killed to have an impact on the dog hunts later. It won't work out as well now that they will be moving muzzleloader season.
Yeah, I could easily have killed a bear every single year in ML season before they get spooked up and go nocturnal.

lampern

Looks like the bear season changes will be delayed a year.

Lot of opposition from folks opposing bear hunting.