20 gauge

frankwright

I have only used a 20ga for the last 6-7 years. Lighter to carry and very little difference killing ability. I have used the Federal Heavy Weight but switched last year to Longbeard XR.
Many love the TSS ammo but I grew up poor and am not going to spend that much money for a shell:eek:
This season to make it more challenging I will be using a single shot 20!

UBiDH3hl.jpg

Turkeytider

If I was younger and had more years to hunt I would transition to a 20 from my 870 Super Mag 12. The 870`s a tank, functions great, and I`ve tamed it down with a slip on Limbsaver and a padded T-shirt, so I`ll go ahead and stick with it. TSS has absolutely revolutionized sub gauge shooting.

Swamprat

Swamprat
For the money the Longbeard XR's are bad in a 20 or 12.

Picked up a .410 today, gun was cheap but at around 6 bucks a shell for TSS shooting it wont be.:eek:

ssramage

I've been hunting with a single shot 20 gauge for years. It patterns equal, if not better, than most 12 gauges. I have killed a turkey at 50yds with it, stone dead when I misjudged distance once. Camo gun is my 20 gauge and the other is a .410.

Attachments

• Turkey guns.jpg
    Turkey guns.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 20

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
No need to panic, Benelli makes 20 gauges and 28's too!
Definitely use a 20 gauge but only with quality shells
like the Hevishot Magnum Blends or the new Hevi 18 TSS
I have four twenty gauges I hunt with. A Mossberg SA20 with a Sumtoy choke Fastfire 111 red dot on top is my dedicated Turkey gun although the others just need a choke change to get after them.
I hunted with a 10 ga for forever, then a 12 ga, I purchased a 20 ga Benelli nova to have ready for next season.
or hand loaded 28g. A shotgun shell doesn’t know what gauge it really is.
I think many a 28g is often overlooked and nearly always under loaded.
Where’s my slugs? 54cal.

duDucks44

I am seeing more and more turkey hunters using sub-gauge shotguns
with superior shotgun shell offerings that are available. The Hevishot
family of turkey loads are lethal and what I choose with any shotgun

Bubba_1122

Until 5 or 6 years ago I shot a M2 12 gauge with 3" Hevi Mag Blends. Didn't much enjoy the moment when the firing pin hit the primer.

Then I shot a 20 gauge with homegrown TSS for several years. That kicks too dang hard too.

Two years ago I used a 410. It's deadly.

Last year a 28 gauge (and that's a sweet shooting shotgun). I know it'll roll em out to 43 yards.

Probably gonna swap between the two this year (I'll likely shoot a Tristar G2 Viper Turkey Special 410 if my grandson isn't with me. If he is I'll probably have the 28 on me. Or I might just want to tote more firepower (shooting 13/16 ounce in the 410 (about 295 pellets of #9) and the 28 shoots 1 1/2 ounces of 9's (that's 540 or so #9 shot headed towards the turkey's head)).

Last edited:

RedHills

Self Banned after losing a Noles bet.
I am seeing more and more turkey hunters using sub-gauge shotguns
with superior shotgun shell offerings that are available. The Hevishot
family of turkey loads are lethal and what I choose with any shotgun

I've been a 20g guy for 50 yrs, way before it was fashionable. The new loads offer nothing for me in my hunting environment and where I like to be and how I hunt turkeys. I have yet to say to myself...." if ida just had a TSS load."

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I hunted and shot turkeys for years with a longbow or recurve. Do to physical issues I now have to hunt with twenty gauge. Almost feels like cheating.

longbowdave1

I hunted and shot turkeys for years with a longbow or recurve. Do to physical issues I now have to hunt with twenty gauge. Almost feels like cheating.
I'm in the same boat as you. Trying to work my way back though.