Shopping for 20 gauge Turkey Shotgun

deast1988

Sx4 long beard released at shot show,

DynamicDennis

Just my two cents worth....I bought a Mossberg super bantam for the same purpose, but it is brutal with turkey loads. I say this as the owner of a 40 year old single shot 10 ga, which doesn't seem as bad. It is painful to pattern. Auto loader may help, but I would shoot one before I bought, if you can. I started to list it for sale last year, but grandkids can shoot it for other purposes with light loads. I have a CZ Drake O/U I started toting and it carried about as good and is pleasant to shoot with 2 3/4 or 3" double X and killed turkeys just as well as anything else. It may be heavier than the bantam, but is balanced well and I can tote it all day with no sling. I kept a turkey choke in the top cylinder and skeet choke in the bottom, so ready for close or further.
I have the same setup, and I love it

Dupree

I recently built a youth model 870 in 20ga. Sighted in with a dove load, buddy, that thing rattled my teeth on a turkey load:ROFLMAO:. Still going to carry it some, but I have a Franchi Affinity that will be my main gun. Like dupree, I had a SA459, and that trigger was terrible, even after getting it worked on by a gunsmith.
He needs to put a few more file strokes on it then. Also, changed a spring out that took the creep out of it.

GunnSmokeer

My Mossberg 500 Bantam in 20 ga.
has killed the turkey the one and only time I went hunting gobblers.

I have to say that although I had the "full" choke tube screwed in, I really should have gotten a turkey choke for that hunt. Instead, I bought one later. That turkey choke is extended length, extra-full,
not regular "full" and it makes a big difference in tighter patterning.

P.S. As somebody said earlier in this thread the recoil is significant from an aluminum alloy framed 20 gauge pump.
A different shotgun semi-auto that weighs a pound more (steel receiver) should be easier on your shoulder.

gtb3440

Thanks for all the info and comments. I ended up buying the Beretta A300 Altima. Only had 2 3/4" shells lying around so I shot a handful with varying success. Stovepiped 3 or 4, sometimes with only one loaded, other times loaded with the 3 shotshell capacity. Took the gun apart and did a thorough cleaning which helped with the next round. Just bought 3" shotshells so I'll be working with those as soon as the rain stops.

Jack Flynn

I've got a Franchi Affinity 20 in Mossy Oak bottomland with Sumtoy choke, Sumtoy red dot mount and a Burris Fast Fire lll I might be parting with shortly. I'll know tomorrow night. Great gun just have to many lol.