2012 Way-Too-Early Preseason Top 25

Les Miles

Banned
What has transpired since the last edition of the 2012 Way-Too-Early Preseason Top 25?

Arkansas fired its head coach.

Wisconsin signed another free-agent quarterback.

Notre Dame's best player transferred to South Florida.

Another Georgia player was suspended.

And West Virginia scored on Clemson again.

OK, we're kidding about the last one.

With just more than 100 days left before the start of the 2012 college football season, it's time for the third edition of the Way-Too-Early Preseason Top 25. There were a lot of interesting storylines during spring practice.

Oklahoma State replaced its 28-year-old quarterback with an 18-year-old freshman. A former Georgia quarterback is starting at LSU, and Oregon, Texas and Florida still haven't picked their starting QBs.

With Zach Mettenberger taking over as LSU's quarterback, the Tigers have jumped USC and Alabama for No. 1 in the preseason poll. The Trojans and Crimson Tide are probably just as talented, but the Tigers face an easier road to the Jan. 7 Discover BCS National Championship Game in Miami.

Oregon, Michigan, Wisconsin and Clemson also moved up, while Arkansas and Nebraska fell a few spots.

Say goodbye to Boise State and Notre Dame, which were replaced by newcomers Washington and Georgia Tech.

Here's the third version of the 2012 Way-Too-Early Preseason Top 25:

1. LSU Tigers
Previous rank: 3
The Tigers finished 13-1 and reached the BCS National Championship Game with Jordan Jefferson and Jarrett Lee playing quarterback in 2011. With juco transfer Mettenberger taking over under center, the Tigers might be balanced enough on offense to win a national title in 2012. Mettenberger showed off a strong and accurate arm during spring practice. With tailbacks Spencer Ware and Michael Ford coming back, LSU still figures to have a ground-oriented offense. At least Mettenberger gives LSU the threat of throwing the ball vertically. LSU's schedule might be easier this coming season, too. Nonconference games against North Texas, Washington, Idaho and FCS foe Towson don't seem nearly as difficult as last season's non-SEC slate.

2. USC Trojans
Previous rank: 1

3. Alabama Crimson Tide
Previous rank: 2
Crimson Tide coach Nick Saban seems determined to make sure the BCS national champion's defense goes smoother this season. After winning a BCS title in 2009, the Crimson Tide finished 10-3 in 2010. Alabama will have to rebuild its defense after losing star linebackers Dont'a Hightower and Courtney Upshaw and All-America safety Mark Barron. Saban really likes linebackers Adrian Hubbard and Xzavier Dickson, and juco transfer Deion Blue helped solidify the secondary during the spring. Quarterback AJ McCarron said the Tide plan to open up their offense with a downfield passing game this coming season, but it's hard to imagine them not running the ball often behind what might be one of the best offensive lines in school history.

4. Oregon Ducks
Previous rank: 6

5. Georgia Bulldogs
Previous rank: 5
With an SEC schedule that doesn't include games against Alabama, Arkansas, LSU, Mississippi State or Texas A&M, Georgia might have the most manageable road to the SEC championship game. But Georgia has to survive a Sept. 8 road game at Missouri without starting cornerback Sanders Commings and possibly All-America safety Bacarri Rambo, who face potential multi-game suspensions to start the season. Georgia moved receiver Malcolm Mitchell to cornerback during spring practice, and he'll play on both offense and defense early in the season. With nine starters coming back on defense, including All-America linebacker Jarvis Jones, Georgia figures to be as stingy as any team in the country. Quarterback Aaron Murray needs to eliminate turnovers and tailback Isaiah Crowell needs help from freshmen Keith Marshall and Todd Gurley.

6. Oklahoma Sooners
Previous rank: 4

7. Florida State Seminoles
Previous rank: 8
FSU's lofty preseason expectations might have come a year early in 2011. The Seminoles were ravaged by injuries on the offensive line last season, and quarterback EJ Manuel was hampered by shoulder and leg injuries. FSU has recruited as well as any team in the country the past few seasons, and it's starting to show on the field. FSU has perhaps the country's deepest receiver corps; Willie Haulstead and Kelvin Benjamin emerged as two more playmakers during the spring. FSU's running game remains a concern after tailbacks Chris Thompson, Devonta Freeman and James Wilder Jr. missed most of the spring. FSU plays two FCS foes (Murray State and Savannah State) because West Virginia canceled a scheduled game after moving to the Big 12. The Seminoles also play their first four games at home and only three contests outside of Florida.

8. West Virginia Mountaineers
Previous rank: 7

9. Michigan Wolverines
Previous rank: 14

10. South Carolina Gamecocks
Previous rank: 10
Over the past two seasons, South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier guided the Gamecocks to their first SEC East title in 2010 and first 11-win season in 2011. Will the Gamecocks be good enough to win the SEC in 2012? Their chances might depend on the health of star tailback Marcus Lattimore, who missed the spring while recovering from a torn ACL. Spurrier said Lattimore will be ready for the start of the regular season. Quarterback Connor Shaw seemed more comfortable in the spring after he completed 70 percent of his passes with eight touchdowns and two interceptions in the last four games of 2011 (all victories). South Carolina has to replace star defensive end Melvin Ingram and cornerbacks Stephon Gilmore and C.C. Whitlock.

11. Michigan State Spartans
Previous rank: 9

12. Stanford Cardinal
Previous rank: 13

13. Arkansas Razorbacks
Previous rank: 11
Can Arkansas survive in the SEC West without coach Bobby Petrino? Whether you liked Petrino or not, it's hard to argue he wasn't one of the best offensive playcallers in the country. Former Michigan State and Louisville coach John L. Smith was hired as an interim coach to replace Petrino. The Razorbacks bring plenty of firepower on offense, including quarterback Tyler Wilson and tailback Knile Davis, who is coming back from an ankle injury that caused him to miss all of the 2011 season. Wilson, who threw for 3,638 yards and 24 touchdowns last season, will have to operate without departed receivers Joe Adams, Jarius Wright and Greg Childs. New defensive coordinator Paul Haynes takes over a squad that was better last season. The Razorbacks play Alabama and LSU -- the only teams to beat them last season -- at home this year.

14. TCU Horned Frogs
Previous rank: 15

15. Wisconsin Badgers
Previous rank: 18

16. Clemson Tigers
Previous rank: 23

17. Ohio State Buckeyes
Previous rank: 16
New Buckeyes coach Urban Meyer was a big hit during spring practice when he announced his team would run a no-huddle, fast-paced offense. Meyer plans for the Buckeyes to play even faster than his teams did at Florida. Quarterback Braxton Miller seems like a perfect fit for Meyer's spread offense, but the Buckeyes will have to find playmakers to help him. Tight end Jake Stoneburner and Jordan Hall looked like they could help during the spring. Nine starters are back on defense, including All-America candidate John Simon on the defensive line. OSU plays at Michigan State, Penn State and Wisconsin during Big Ten play.

18. Kansas State Wildcats
Previous rank: 12

19. Texas Longhorns
Previous rank: 22

20. Florida Gators
Previous rank: 25
A 7-6 finish wasn't what coach Will Muschamp -- or Florida fans -- had in mind when he replaced Urban Meyer as the Gators' coach. But Muschamp didn't know how big of a mess he inherited from Meyer, either. Florida might not be too far away from contending for another SEC East championship. Muschamp replaced offensive coordinator Charlie Weis (who left to become Kansas' coach) with former Boise State coordinator Brent Pease. Pease spent the spring trying to rebuild the confidence of quarterbacks Jacoby Brissett and Jeff Driskel, who struggled mightily as freshmen. The offense line was much improved during the spring, and the Gators will score more points if Mike Gillislee runs well and freshman Latroy Pittman emerges as a consistent playmaker. Florida's schedule is much more manageable, with Alabama and Arkansas dropping off and LSU playing at the Swamp.

21. Washington Huskies
Previous rank: NR

22. Oklahoma State Cowboys
Previous rank: 19

23. Virginia Tech Hokies
Previous rank: 20

24. Nebraska Cornhuskers
Previous rank: 17

25. Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets
Previous rank: NR
If the Yellow Jackets can find a big-play weapon on the perimeter, they might be right back in the ACC title hunt this coming season. Quarterback Tevin Washington doesn't do anything particularly spectacular, but he's steady and doesn't make many mistakes running coach Paul Johnson's triple-option spread offense. The Yellow Jackets bring back a couple of solid running backs, and Johnson believes the offensive line might be the best he has had at Georgia Tech. If the Yellow Jackets can find a consistent nose tackle, they should be better running coordinator Al Groh's 3-4 scheme. The Jackets get a break because they don't play Florida State or NC State during the regular season, but three of their most difficult games (Virginia Tech, Clemson and Georgia) will be played on the road.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7959833/college-football-way-too-early-2012-top-25

Last edited:

Les Miles

Banned
Georgia is looking strong at #5 and once again Alabama knows it's place at #3 behind #1 LSU :D

(Oh and I left the summary for each team I thought relevant for fans here in the SF)

RipperIII

Pretty sad when the defending national champions are ranked lower than the team that they beat to get there.

Bama must really suck this year ::ke:::ke:::ke:

Man this is really gonna hurt,...when lowly #3 BAMA whips you guys at home you and Boo are gonna melt into the rue:D

Dudley Do-Wrong

The only poll I'm woried about is the one that comes out about midway through the second week every January. As long as the preseason polls puts my team in a position to reasonable contend, it doesn't really matter.

Dudley Do-Wrong

Man this is really gonna hurt,...when lowly #3 BAMA whips you guys at home you and Boo are gonna melt into the rue:D
What he and others have to undersatnd is that we really do consider #3 as lowly while all the other teams consider it as great.

Dudley Do-Wrong

We'll see what happens Nov 3rd.

I heard this same talk from the Tide faithful last year and we all know what happened then. ::ke:::ke:::ke:

And we heard from the LSU faithful (all 2 of you) ::ke:::ke: what was gonna happen on Jan 9th,,,,,, and we all know what happened.:cheers::cheers:

Les Miles

Banned
And we heard from the LSU faithful (all 2 of you) ::ke:::ke: what was gonna happen on Jan 9th,,,,,, and we all know what happened.:cheers::cheers:

Congratulations, your team won a rematch game that they barely squeaked into. Bama beat an LSU team with possibly the worst QB in the nation. No argument here. How about you let me buy you a beer so you can revel in that great accomplishment. :rolleyes:

But you're kidding yourself if you don't believe that LSU is stronger and Bama is weaker this year. That's why you guys are having such a tough times with these early polls.

The reckoning is coming.... Nov 3rd. Hope you have thick skin by then. :)

Dudley Do-Wrong

How about you let me buy you a beer so you can revel in that great accomplishment.

I sincerely appreciate the offer but I gave up drinking about 12 years ago.

If my memory serves me correctly, I seem to remember you bragging about how great a QB JJ was (before 9 January). If he is so pathetic, what does that say about Les' decision making/coaching?

RipperIII

Congratulations, your team won a rematch game that they barely squeaked into. Bama beat an LSU team with possibly the worst QB in the nation. No argument here. How about you let me buy you a beer so you can revel in that great accomplishment. :rolleyes:

But you're kidding yourself if you don't believe that LSU is stronger and Bama is weaker this year. That's why you guys are having such a tough times with these early polls.

The reckoning is coming.... Nov 3rd. Hope you have thick skin by then. :)

This is what I love about ol Les...The T-Town game by all accounts, except final score, was dominated by BAMA, just one of 4 missed field goals, or but for a spectacular play by a guy who is no longer there, and there is no argument.
The LSU fans knew it in their heart of hearts, and dreaded the retribution which surely found them.
Now there exist a lingering recognition that the beat down in NO was more than a simple conviction of the QB or the Coach, The Tiger fans are blustering up their courage and believing their press,... just like last year, in a vain attempt to suppress knowledge that they got lucky once and stomped in the final.

Les knows...
Boo knows...
:D

Marlin_444

Pretty sad when the defending national champions are ranked lower than the team that they beat to get there.

Bama must really suck this year ::ke:::ke:::ke:

Lester -

Don't write a check with your mouth that your tail can't cover...

ROLL TIDE!!!

*V*

Les Miles

Banned
I sincerely appreciate the offer but I gave up drinking about 12 years ago.

If my memory serves me correctly, I seem to remember you bragging about how great a QB JJ was (before 9 January). If he is so pathetic, what does that say about Les' decision making/coaching?

#1 I don't think I have ever bragged about JJ being a great quarterback. Please find me those quotes. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

#2 I suspect you might start drinking again come the night of Nov 3rd ::ke::bounce:

GEAUX TIGERS!!!​