2021 Oglethorpe County

Souhternhunter17

It was a very busy and HOT weekend for me. Had our annual dove field prep/and Oglethorpe property work days. Prepped two dove fields (mowing, discing, burning) Friday. Bushogged and plowed down at Oglethorpe Saturday and limed, planted, and fertilized Sunday. Limbed some stands and checked cameras as well. Have a good looking younger bucks, a bunch of does, 4 hen turkeys and 5-6 poults on camera which is good to see. Still have some other things to do before the rifle opener but the majority of the hard work is done. However for now I am looking forward to bow season and cooler weather.
IMG_1064.jpgIMG_1065.jpg

Hughy

This is the weekend I’ve been waiting on. In my mind, dove season kicks off my favorite time of year, hunting season and fall. Excited about shooting birds and watching the Dawgs this weekend. Maybe a touch more excited about bow season starting next weekend. Can’t wait for everyone to start blowing this place up with pictures and stories. We’re off to a good start already with gators and food plots. Keep em coming!!
I got my opening day velvet 9pt bow buck back last week. I am very pleased with the way it turned out. Jake Rowe did an outstanding job bringing him back to life. Good luck to everyone this fall??
928D2D0B-34E7-4B48-B048-69DFBDCFD308.jpeg

Todd E

Todd just loves mentoring kids in God's Great Outdoors. My grandkids aren't old enough for it yet. God blessed me, with a great afternoon, by giving me the opportunity to sit with a young boy. He was packing an old school sweet 16. I got him in the sweet spot. Watched him shoot awhile and eased into some subtle wing shooting lessons. By end of hunt, he almost had his daily limit. He was grinning from ear to ear. Then he joined in at the tailgate and after two instructional lessons..........was popping dove breasts like a grown man.

This "older" man loves seeing kids enjoy GGO !!!

Triple C

Dang boys! Lot been happening around here since I last logged in. Congrats on the gator Todd! I took last week off and spent 4 days at the farm bush hogging all interior roads and food plots in preparation for planting in early Oct. Put a serious deep clean...and I mean serious deep clean on cabin, garage and shop. Enjoyed every minute of it. No cameras this year so I feel like we're hunting a new farm with no idea of what kind of bucks we have cruising around. But sure excited to get after em before long.

Brooks leaves in the morning for MT. He and a buddy will be chasing elk. He's chased em in CO for the past 12 to 15 years. Decided to see new country and go with a buddy that has hunted MT for the past 6 or 7 years.

Arrow3

If this is Rock's last dove season , which it probably is, it has gotten off to the best start ever. I hunted with 3 different land owners and lots of great friends this long weekend. Some of the best hunts I've been on!
Screenshot_20210906-222403_Gallery.jpg

transfixer

So, like overnight, what bucks on am getting on my cell cameras all showed up slick this weekend. Funny how that works, full velvet all last week, slick bone now. And boy do those slick horns look much smaller without that velvet :)

I don't have any bucks on camera to talk about, good many deer altogether though, which is good, but now it seems the buzzards that had been living in my tower stand have finally left it,, but they seem to have taken a liking to my trough feeder now, I had put a bag of cotton seed in it a month or so ago, evidently they like cotton seed ? got a few pics of one or two actually sitting IN the feeder, and on top of it,, on the side of it,,, etc,,,, I am NOT a Happy Camper ! my tower stand is ruined, the remnants of their mess has caused the floor to start rotting out , going to have to tear the top of it off and rebuild the whole thing, I did take the roof off this weekend to try and keep them from coming back to it.

:mad::banginghefacepalm:

Big_Red

This is my first year with cameras and that was exactly my experience. They looked huge with velvet and now most are skinny horns!

So, like overnight, what bucks on am getting on my cell cameras all showed up slick this weekend. Funny how that works, full velvet all last week, slick bone now. And boy do those slick horns look much smaller without that velvet :)