2023 Oglethorpe County

Grunt-n-bleat

Did anyone hunt this past weekend in the OC?
Didnt get to go down other than yesterday to pull trail cam cards, and fill the "hawg" feeders. More hog feeders now than deer feeders.

Grunt-n-bleat

Hoping the weather will be drier than it was this past weekend.
My poor ol Ram got more red mud on it than it ever has. LOL.

I feel bad for the Jet Express car wash up here near Kroger. They about to have a big dose of that OC sticky red mud to get off.

Yall be good, be safe out there!

Buford_Dawg

I ran down and hunted Friday evening and all day Saturday. Killed another 225+ boar hog Friday evening right at dusk. We certainly have our share of them this year, that makes 5 I have killed while sitting in a deer stand. Saw deer every sit. They are bunched back up in does groups, if you seen one doe, your likely to see 5+
Running 8 trailcams and pretty much does, buttonheads and hogs on them. Hard to get a antlered buck on camera since Thanksgiving. BTW, Greg's informed me last night he will take hogs now as the deer massacre is over. Hoping to get me a 150-200 lb sow around Xmas to take to them. Good luck OC'ers, Out of our 7 person camp, only 2 persons left hunting, all the others have winterized their campers and called it a season.

Triple C

I ran down and hunted Friday evening and all day Saturday. Killed another 225+ boar hog Friday evening right at dusk. We certainly have our share of them this year, that makes 5 I have killed while sitting in a deer stand. Saw deer every sit. They are bunched back up in does groups, if you seen one doe, your likely to see 5+
Running 8 trailcams and pretty much does, buttonheads and hogs on them. Hard to get an antlered buck on camera since Thanksgiving. BTW, Greg's informed me last night he will take hogs now as the deer massacre is over. Hoping to get me a 150-200 lb sow around Xmas to take to them. Good luck OC'ers, Out of our 7 person camp, only 2 persons left hunting, all the others have winterized their campers and called it a season.
Congrats on the pig BD!

Haven’t used any corn during the season and fortunately very few pigs to contend with. Went down for a couple hours yesterday to set another ladder stand and noticed more fresh pig sign in plots and woods.

That’s my clue that most have hung it up for the season and corn piles are pretty much gone. Thus the fresh pig sign starting to show up again.

Hunted the least I have in a decade. Life just too busy it seems these days. That said…I’m 0 for 3 on buck with my trad bow. Sad. Boys said they were going to get me a compound for Christmas.

I’ll show em before season ends. Plots looking good. December n January is when food plots really shine. No doe killed so far. Only 3 deer - 2 bucks and a button head.

We will start whacking some does next weekend as we head toward the final month of the season.

Triple C

AC and anyone else, Lets do mexican in Lexington one day/evening the week of Xmas. i plan on being down on the day after Xmas thru Saturday. Jim and I had dinner there Friday night, it was very crowded and tasty.
I’d love to. I plan to leave the afternoon of Christmas Day and be there thru the weekend.

Might even throw something together at my place for an evening gathering.

Buford_Dawg

Yep, I went down Tuesday afternoon, hunted that evening, all day Wednesday and Thursday AM. My buddy had the crude in camp and I started coughing so came home Thursday afternoon. Shot at a hog one evening right at dark, sure I hit it, but never found any signs of hit, even went back and looked the next day again. Saw some deer, they definitely bunched back up, you seen one you may see ALOT or your likely gonna get skunked. Maybe someday we OC'ers can get together. I even cleaned my rifles on Friday, so I'm probably done for the year. Joined a different club this year hoping to run into some turkeys, but after some scouting and talking to current members, I think I'm not gonna have any luck. I sure miss hearing and seeing birds in OC, but they have disappeared on my properties in last 3-4 years. Really disappointing to see our Turkeys pretty much gone.

MYRX

Happy New Years to all of you. Too bad the dawgs are not playing today. Regarding getting together, we should probably plan a get together before Thanksgiving. I am retired and live outside of Winterville so most days work for me. Arrow3 look for a green TR21 Triton when fishing Russell or Clarks Hill, I usually fish twice a week end of Feb into the end of May. Maybe I will try to learn how to crappie fish this year.

Funny thing about Turkeys, I see plenty on our property during deer season. Then they seem to vanish in February. No one really hunts them on our 800 acers.

All in all this was a really good deer season, although we only took three deer by choice. As of this week we had four really healthy potential 2.5 bucks still coming to plots and feeders. I am done hunting. Everyone, take care.

Buford_Dawg

My deer season was outstanding as well Myrx, seen most deer ever since the late 80s / early 90s when the OC deer herd was in its prime IMO.... Saw lots of young and upcoming bucks for this coming fall. Most are still running around the woods AFAIK.