2024 cicada mega hatch Invasion thread

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I think I heard some in jefferson county florida a couple of weeks ago.
Pretty sure they were cicada but it sounded almost like a rattlesnake rattle... nothing like throwback's eerie recording.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I think I heard some in jefferson county florida a couple of weeks ago.
Pretty sure they were cicada but it sounded almost like a rattlesnake rattle... nothing like throwback's eerie recording.
Might be annual cicadas. They don't show up here until about July 4th.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Might be annual cicadas. They don't show up here until about July 4th.
I'm pretty familiar with the annual cicadas. It sounded like that but closer to a rattlesnake. I figured it was one of the other broods.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
I'm pretty familiar with the annual cicadas. It sounded like that but closer to a rattlesnake. I figured it was one of the other broods.
Might have been a rattle snake.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The broods are absolutely deafening.

Whitefeather

Management Material
The amazing thing is when you get one alone you can barely hear it “whirring”. When they get going it’s very loud so it’s hard to make sense the individual is so soft and low sounding.

Then all of a sudden they all just stop

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
If it was, it was in a tree and the blue jays were going crazy...
I've actually seen that. Not the bluejays go'n nuts.. but the rattle snake up in the limbs of a tree.. 7 maybe 8 years back on the Hooch in Franklin. Skeert me to death that thing was gonna fall in the boat with us.

GT90

Very strong in west Hancock county. Been going at least 2 weeks but the last week it picked up dramatically. Interesting that it can be quite loud on my side road but go 1/4-1/2 mile down the main road and not as loud. Also sounds like a 1950s sci-fi movie when the UFOs were shooting their ray guns. You will know it when you hear it.

TurkeyH90

In Hancock this weekend. It was absolutely amazing. I imagine fish, bird, reptiles are enjoying it. Had several fly into my face.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I went turkey hunting this morning and I’m fairly certain I couldn’t have heard a turkey gobble if I was standing under him .
Little storm this afternoon calmed them down a little .

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
My dog has been so excited the last week I’ve had to give her meds to help her relax enough to sleep :rofl: :rofl:
Still gets up a few times a night to go check on the cicadas

Crazy.

Geffellz18

My sis called me earlier and I could hear them clearly in the background. I have yet to hear or see one here. She’s in Valley, AL on Lake Harding.

Baroque Brass

Quiet and peaceful in my little corner of Grady county.

slow motion

I got nothing. Maybe I need to have my hearing checked. Wife says I have selective deafness, Only hear the things I want to. Reminds me of the old Milton Crabapple joke. He had been concerned about his wifes hearing. So he had taken off his boots and walked in quietly in his socks. Called to the Misses across the room, MA? Nothing. Closed the gap and a little louder, Ma? No response. Finally he slipped right up behind her and loudly called out Ma? This time she responded, For the 3rd time WHAT?