2024 Oglethorpe County

Todd E

I hope all you guys are doing well.

Some times the stars align and a hunt puts a smile on your face. I finally got a dear friend out on a thermal hog hunt. Took some moving around, but we each finally got zoned in on a hog. He dumped the boar DRT. It was just a boatload of fun, especially when it got "western" after each of our first shots. FB_IMG_1714963413803~2.jpg

I ventured out tonight looking for hogs. Not too far into my venture, I realized my t-cell didn't have a fuel cell in it. Sweating my tail off and getting eaten alive, I turned to go find my truck and the a/c. Forget this. Scanned a coyote. It was getting just a smidge of my wind. I laid out scooted back up in some bushes to the fence in order to try and keep my wind off it. By doing so, I had cicadas crawling on me in the dark. After what seemed like 15 mins, I finally squeaked it out of the grass and dumped it. Much to my surprise.........a young male black phase. Pretty cool to walk up on in the dead of night. PXL_20240506_013844059.jpgPXL_20240506_014317093.jpg

Buford_Dawg

Well, turkey season is over, I think that I only saw a couple of our regular OC posters get a bird this season. I know of no one else who got one. We had zero birds taken at the 3 properties I hunt. And there were several bonifide turkey killers hunting them. They did go our west and got birds in multiple states out there. Once I retire next year, I will go with them where apparently the birds are everywhere. Can't understand why they are pretty much gone in OC.

Souhternhunter17

Hey fellas I know its been a while and I hope all are doing well. My dad and I are possibly losing our small tract we have leased in Oglethorpe for the past 5-6 years. The family is subdividing the land and the current caretaker of the land does not know if they plan to put houses on it or want to lease “their part”. Nonetheless we are looking for somewhere to lease or a club to join in Oglethorpe. If any of you all have openings in your club or hear of a property available for lease please let me know. Both of us are experienced and responsible hunters. A little about us: My dad is a retired clarke county police officer and now works another job doing insurance fraud investigation. I work for the NRCS (USDA)and have a toddler i am looking to introduce to hunting in a few years. I have access to a small tractor and implements and excellent knowledge of wildlife management practices (soil fertility, food plots, dove fields, etc.). Willing to work! Thanks

Arrow3

Well, turkey season is over, I think that I only saw a couple of our regular OC posters get a bird this season. I know of no one else who got one. We had zero birds taken at the 3 properties I hunt. And there were several bonifide turkey killers hunting them. They did go our west and got birds in multiple states out there. Once I retire next year, I will go with them where apparently the birds are everywhere. Can't understand why they are pretty much gone in OC.
There is nothing I love more on this earth outdoors related then a Georgia eastern gobbler coming to a call. That being said, I plan on spending a good bit of my season out of state next year. I'm not getting any younger and I want to see new places and kill turkeys in New places. I've got a couple other buddies saying the same things so as long as we're in good health and continued financial stability we are traveling.