2024 Smack Talk

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Bait back better

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
ok the story behind the decoys working true or myth goes like this...
I'll try to keep it short but I gotta start from the beginning...
So once upon a time when yeti was around 3 or 4, we went to walmart pre turkey season to pick up a few things. Gloves, face mask, H'S. turkey targets etc.
In the isle, eye level with toddler yeti, were these strutter tom decoys. Yeti pitched a fit he wanted us to get one. I said no those are junk we're not getting one. Then he sobbed the rest of the day, then he told his mom about them that night, then he talked about them at bedtime. Pulled my heart strings so the next day I went and got 1 and surprised him with it after work.
He was very happy!
We used it a few times at the club in small food plots and I witnessed 1st hand it scare turkeys away.
At the end of that spring with 1 tag left me and toddler yeti went to a big cow pasture pre dawn. I carried in a blind, bag of drinks and snacks, my hunting gear and this strutter decoy. Like a pack mule.
After dawn I could hear gobbling below the hill and with binoculars i can see a few toms and a few jakes were strutting and taking turns jumping up and down flogging eachother. They were 3 or so hundred yards away. They would NOT aknowledge my hen calling.
So I climb out from under the blind, grab the strutter decoy and crawl up to a terrace and stick him in the ground and make a few loud cuts. The gobblers saw him, they all slicked down and all ran right at him, (AND ME!) as fast as they could and I killed the big tom in middle.
So it finally worked, yeti was happy I was happy, it was a great day but it's never worked again in Ga. Kinda quit usin it.

Yesterday, I went to the same cow pasture pre dawn and set up. I had 2 hen and the strutter decoy to see if he would work another hail Mary for me. I set up one hen and the strutter 25 ta 30 yards in the pasture and I hid in the wood line. Day breaks and I hear gobbling across the field.
I just make light yelps to let them know there's turkeys here.
They come out of the woodline into the pasture after flydown, about 300 yards out, few toms, few jakes and a few hens.
They act like they gonna come up my way, they stop and with stretched necks are lookin at my decoys. They decide to go to my left instead. They hang out around there for about an hour ish, then act like they coming up my way again. They come to within 100 yards of me then they do the neck stretched out thing again checkin out my decoys. They obviously don't like it and they go to my left again.
My heart sank as I thought I was gonna miss out. But then, I thought about crawling across the woods behind me to cut em off on that side. I thought how loud and obnoxious that would be and it would never work. But I still had 1 hen decoy with me that I didn't set up.
So I grab her and I get down and start crawling with her in the front of me. I crawled like that yelpin a few times for 50 yards to the tree line behind me. I know I was getting covered in ticks, chiggers and fresh cow pattys but I didn't care! The flock looked confused and a little spooky but they stayed on course. And I got about a 40 yard shot on a tom and I took it, the tungstun #7's wiped him out!

So the decoy's hurt me at 1st, but one of them saved me in the end.
The end!

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
So once upon a time when yeti was around 3 or 4, we went to walmart pre turkey season to pick up a few things. Gloves, face mask, H'S. turkey targets etc.
In the isle, eye level with toddler yeti, were these strutter tom decoys. Yeti pitched a fit he wanted us to get one. I said no those are junk we're not getting one. Then he sobbed the rest of the day, then he told his mom about them that night, then he talked about them at bedtime. Pulled my heart strings so the next day I went and got 1 and surprised him with it after work.
He was very happy!
We used it a few times at the club in small food plots and I witnessed 1st hand it scare turkeys away.
At the end of that spring with 1 tag left me and toddler yeti went to a big cow pasture pre dawn. I carried in a blind, bag of drinks and snacks, my hunting gear and this strutter decoy. Like a pack mule.
After dawn I could hear gobbling below the hill and with binoculars i can see a few toms and a few jakes were strutting and taking turns jumping up and down flogging eachother. They were 3 or so hundred yards away. They would NOT aknowledge my hen calling.
So I climb out from under the blind, grab the strutter decoy and crawl up to a terrace and stick him in the ground and make a few loud cuts. The gobblers saw him, they all slicked down and all ran right at him, (AND ME!) as fast as they could and I killed the big tom in middle.
So it finally worked, yeti was happy I was happy, it was a great day but it's never worked again in Ga. Kinda quit usin it.

Yesterday, I went to the same cow pasture pre dawn and set up. I had 2 hen and the strutter decoy to see if he would work another hail Mary for me. I set up one hen and the strutter 25 ta 30 yards in the pasture and I hid in the wood line. Day breaks and I hear gobbling across the field.
They come out of the woodline into the pasture after flydown, about 300 yards out, few toms, few jakes and a few hens.
They act like they gonna come up my way, they stop and with stretched necks are lookin at my decoys. They decide to go to my left instead. They hang out around there for about an hour ish, then act like they coming up my way again. They come to within 100 yards of me then they do the neck stretched out thing again checkin out my decoys. They obviously don't like it and they go to my left again.
My heart sank as I thought I was gonna miss out. But then, I thought about crawling across the woods behind me to cut em off on that side. I thought how loud and obnoxious that would be and it would never work. But I still had 1 hen decoy with me that I didn't set up.
So I grab her and I get down and start crawling with her in the front of me. I crawled like that yelpin a few times for 50 yards to the tree line behind me. I know I was getting covered in ticks, chiggers and fresh cow pattys but I didn't care! The flock looked confused and a little spooky but they stayed on course. And I got about a 40 yard shot on a tom and I took it, the tungstun #7's wiped him out!

The end!
One heck of a story and hunt !

WOODIE13

He was very happy!

The end!
Awesome

sea trout

Not the best lookin turkey huntin mornin outside at Commerce Ga
Doesn't look good for work either but I'm goin to work.
Good luck to all who hunt today!!

antharper

Staff member
Not the best lookin turkey huntin mornin outside at Commerce Ga
Doesn't look good for work either but I'm goin to work.
Good luck to all who hunt today!!
Looked like a good morning to sleep in , so that’s what I done ! Working til 3am helped make that decision though .
About to go ride the backroads woodie and kmack style !

WOODIE13

Looked like a good morning to sleep in , so that’s what I done ! Working til 3am helped make that decision though .
About to go ride the backroads woodie and kmack style !
Bed full of corn and a 22-250

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Come see knack in the morning. Drop off. Pick back up when I’m doing the foodplots with a summer mix.

WOODIE13

Top sowing corn has no season

antharper

Staff member
Well my dad called me with about as good of plan as I’ve had all season . They cut the hayfield in his front yard yesterday and he had 2 gobblers out in it 30 minutes before dark . So they aren’t far .

sea trout

Good luck fine folks!
I'm gonna work this mornin. BIL texted last night asked if I wanted to go with him this mornin, man I wished but I already commited to this job. Gotta go to Atlanta.
Hope y'all have fun in the woods or at work!

WOODIE13

Good luck all, looks like it's going to pour here.