20ga load questions

Dupree

I wouldn't mind trying that but I'm guessing it'll sell out at the show.
Just keep an eye on apex website. They added a lot back in stock after the show last year. Ol Tom may sell it online also, I know woodhaven sells the ninja loads that apex loads for them (what I shoot)

ssramage

Just keep an eye on apex website. They added a lot back in stock after the show last year. Ol Tom may sell it online also, I know woodhaven sells the ninja loads that apex loads for them (what I shoot)

Thanks for the heads up. They had them on their site this am, so I ordered a couple of boxes to try.

ol bob

Never understood why someone will pay over $1000 for a shotgun but don't want to pay $10 for a shell, when they are only going to shoot several a year.

deast1988

Never understood why someone will pay over $1000 for a shotgun but don't want to pay $10 for a shell, when they are only going to shoot several a year.
Im with you, by the time I pay the lease, fuel, scouting, listening, general time invested. $10 isn’t nothing.

Gator89

Im with you, by the time I pay the lease, fuel, scouting, listening, general time invested. $10 isn’t nothing.

After all of that "investment", I want the best ammo available to achieve success if the opportunity presents itself.

RedHills

Self Banned after losing a Noles bet.
After all of that "investment", I want the best ammo available to achieve success if the opportunity presents itself.
Some turkey hunters live for the "inside 30" fix....some even consider the "inside 20" the ultimate challenge. Ever pulled the trigger on one inside 10 in a swamp? There's as many different ways to kill turkeys as there are hunters. Some I enjoy, others are no different than coons and coyotes. Those $10 shells add NO advantage to how I hunt em...if I was sniping em at 80, might have a different take on it.

Buckman18

Some turkey hunters live for the "inside 30" fix....some even consider the "inside 20" the ultimate challenge. Ever pulled the trigger on one inside 10 in a swamp? There's as many different ways to kill turkeys as there are hunters. Some I enjoy, others are no different than coons and coyotes. Those $10 shells add NO advantage to how I hunt em...if I was sniping em at 80, might have a different take on it.

I agree! My goal is to get them under 30. I can accomplish what I’m after with lead shot. Heck, even if I miss my guess by 20 yards, lead shot will kill ‘em just as dead. I bet those guys using the $10 shells are also hunting from blinds with decoys?

WishboneW

Yeah I do not shoot over 30 yards and that is a stretch. Copper plated have worked well.
I do not have a $1k so shotgun. Got a 870 I bought 22 years ago, 11 87 bought used 20 years ago, a Stevens 94 in 20 ga modified barrel bought used I killed my best bird with. Just bought a Stevens 301 for $200 in 20 ga so no, I am not a high dollar hunter

FootLongDawg

I agree with ol Bob. Why all the hate. My best friend travels all over the world with his wife, has a lake house, spends tons of money on guns, deer leases, food plots, wine and expensive whiskey. He doesn't turkey hunt, but when he found out how much I spend on a few TSS shells, he acts like I am Jeff Bezos. I tell him to shut the ....up

Buckman18

I agree with ol Bob. Why all the hate. My best friend travels all over the world with his wife, has a lake house, spends tons of money on guns, deer leases, food plots, wine and expensive whiskey. He doesn't turkey hunt, but when he found out how much I spend on a few TSS shells, he acts like I am Jeff Bezos. I tell him to shut the ....up
I haven’t read any hate, just guys with blinds, decoys, and 80 yard specialized long range turkey gun set ups! ::ke:

six

I was skeptical about the small shot size as well. But after killing several gobblers ranging from 15 to just short of 40 I was starting to become a believer. Then I shot this hog during turkey season with a 410 and 9 1/2 TSS at a shade over 20, one shot, one kill, dead right there! Now I'm completely confident when I pull the trigger with that small shot I'm going to be pleased with the outcome. And who ever said they bet the folks shooting $10 shells also hunt from a blind and with decoys would be wrong. I know more that don't than do, not that it matters to me one way or the other.
49732486737_b60c4e498e.jpg

Beagler282

“Rabbit Man”
Nothing wrong with hunting the way you want as long as it's legal. Different strokes for different folks. Not one way is better than the other. Hunt how you like and don't worry about what others think.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
This thread took some turns from the original topic.
The 9 TSS will hit hard at normal turkey hunting ranges. They hold a tighter pattern and if you guess your bird is at 33 yds where it’s at 43 yds your still good.
Anyway good luck to you and your son.
Glad you have a few birds to hunt.

Gator89

Nothing wrong with hunting the way you want as long as it's legal. Different strokes for different folks. Not one way is better than the other. Hunt how you like and don't worry about what others think.

The private property I hunt is 3 small parcels, 30 (woods), 40 (field) & 60 (field & woods) acres, surrounded by lottery permit only public land. There is little to no room for running and gunning, mostly sit and wait for a birds to show up in their historic feeding, strutting areas.

ol bob

A lot of people need to learn that some don't hunt the way they want to but how they have to. You wake up one morning and a voice tells you you can't do this any more, walking, sitting , shooting a 12 ga 3 1/2 mag, can't see,can't hear, you can quit or work around it. If you are a real turkey hunter who loves the time in the woods and seeing the world wake up in the morning you do what you have to and don't worry about what any one says.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
A lot of people need to learn that some don't hunt the way they want to but how they have to. You wake up one morning and a voice tells you you can't do this any more, walking, sitting , shooting a 12 ga 3 1/2 mag, can't see,can't hear, you can quit or work around it. If you are a real turkey hunter who loves the time in the woods and seeing the world wake up in the morning you do what you have to and don't worry about what any one says.
well said !
I’m still very fortunate and I like going places I’ve never been before.