.243 Ladder

BriarPatch99

I think that is what you are seeing in powders like RL17, RL23, RL26..... Superformance ...I

Sure there are others ...

BriarPatch99

Another quote I found ..

To be fair, the Bullseye pressure will peak when the bullet base has moved about five eighths of an inch forward, while the Reloader 25 won’t peak until the bullet base has moved about two and a half inches. So Reloader 25 will peak in a larger volume. But even with that bullet position difference, in this overbore cartridge you only have about 28% increased volume from that. With three times the gas you should still have pressure that's more than double for the heavier powder charge, and not merely equal.

returntoarchery

Sierra's current load data in their app doesn't show the .243 95gr Pro Hunter. It does list the 100gr Pro Hunter. I've got several of their previous loading manuals and will check them for the 95gr and the listed accuracy load when I get back home this evening.

In the meantime, their accuracy load for the 100 gr Pro Hunter #1540 is 43.2 gr H4831 SC.

Last edited:

Jester896

Senior Clown
that's why @BriarPatch99 is shakin his head...he told me to use H4831SC from the beginning :).

Thanks! They are 100gr. I see where I wrote 95gr on the target and that is incorrect...I wasn't looking at the box when I wrote that :)

returntoarchery

@Jester896 Max load is 43.4 gr for H4831SC so work up to 43.2 gr. Sierra is using a pressure test device so their listed max loads are in fact max loads and not derived from subjective pressure signs.

returntoarchery

If H4831 doesn't work out for you, Alliant RL23 might be worth a try. I switched from H4831SC to RL23 in my 284 Win F-Class rifle and got better velocity, better heat sensitivity resistance, and better vertical from smaller ES and SD numbers with the same or slightly better group moa accuracy. Of course when you're talking about .3 moa vs .25 moa you're splitting hairs. ;)

https://www.alliantpowder.com/reloa...?gtypeid=2&weight=100&shellid=52&bulletid=362

Last edited:

BriarPatch99

@Jester896 Max load is 43.4 gr for H4831SC so work up to 43.2 gr. Sierra is using a pressure test device so their listed max loads are in fact max loads and not derived from subjective pressure signs.

But that ONLY applies to that pressure device ....Your device(rifle/pistol) may and probably does vary ....so Sierra's finding may or may not apply to your device.

returntoarchery

@BriarPatch99 Regarding max pressure device you're correct but it is worth noting the indicated max just the same so to approach with caution.

I've heard good things about about RL26 as well.

BriarPatch99

My point is no two "rifles" are the same and you have to approach them as different .... Data is suggested and may or may not be exact for your rifle ...

Give you an example ...we recently shot two .243 Winchester rifles ...a Model 700 BDL 22" barrel, Savage with 22" barrel . ...

We shot my reloads with same exact powder, primers & bullets ... As Ray's ... the Savage shot little over 100 fps faster than the 700 ... Same happen with his reloads ... But the odd thing the 4 of his and 4 of mine went into the same 3/4" group at 100 yards ...

1/2" orange dot . ..

Jester896

Senior Clown
I understood...the Sierra max for the IMR4198 wasn't yet at what I would say was max in my rifle...yet the max IMR4064 was just a little too hot in my rifle.

I still might try the StaBall before going to the H4831SC :)

BriarPatch99

I think we talked about 6.5 Staball before ...possibly being a W780 clone with possible clean technologies involved ....if it is in the Sandburg rate as W780 it will around half way between H4831 & IMR 7828 ....which is a good burn speed to .243

BriarPatch99

Just got email from Hodgdon ...6.5 Staball is close to H4350 in burn speed ...

Which is faster than I thought it would be...

Reactions: Dub

Liberty

I have found Magpro to be the winner in velocity and accuracy balance in my necked down “magnum” applications .243 included. I use a Berger Classic Hunter in .243, and it lands within half an inch of Superformance loads for me at 100. It’s a very slow ball powder, so recoil and flash are quite noticeable in higher horsepower cartridges.

BriarPatch99

Magpro on down in the slow stuff ....I have shot some Retumbo under 100 grain before.... Good velocity ...good accuracy ....little sooty... But it worked well