Swedish M96 and Jap Arisaka problems

JR924

Shot the M96 (made in 1900) and the firing pin did not leave a mark on the primer. The trigger worked and heard the click of what was supposed to be the firing pin. Tried several rounds of ammo. The gun loaded fine. I tried the firing pin test with a small dowel rod and it did not even come out of the barrel when I fired the gun.

The Arisaka loaded fine but I could not close the bolt. The ammo was Norma soft points. The bullet was more rounded and seemed to be hitting something in the bottom of the chamber. I was able to shoot is single shot.

Any idea what when wrong with either gun??? I did spray out each bolt with carb cleaner and they look clean. The Ariska looks like maybe I am not doing something right as it is definitely a mechanical blockage. Thanks in advance for all replies.

Last edited:

JR924

Yeah, I tried to look at the firing pin but I was not able to turn the safety on when the bolt was cocked. Therefore, I could not remove the bolt with the action cocked' only uncocked. Did find a post of somebody with same problem which they manually pulled out the cocking mechanism to the point the safety would engage which allowed the bolt to be taken out. Seems person before me did not tighten the bolt together all the way. I took a cartridge apart and just shot an empty casing with primer and it fired. Still have the Arisaka problem. Appreciate the feedback. I will try to post a picture.

JR924

Saw one post that said soft point may jam in an Arisaka. Bummer since most of the ammo for sale are soft points. As a single shot it was a good shooter.

JR924

Going to buy a clip of blanks. The blanks look like FMJ bullets. Try to work out the problem safely. This gun seems to be the cheapest the WW2 rifles. Mine was even cheaper than my Nangant. High ammo prices maybe the cause.