.280 Ackley Improved

jbroadnax

The main thing I dislike about all AI cartridges is the necessity to fire form cases due to the extra time and cost of doing that. I'd rather just go to a 7mm Rem Mag or 7mm STW if I want better performance. Ammo is easier to find and no fire forming for handloads.

You don't have to fireform the 280 AI as Nosler makes brass for it. I just took delivery of a McWhorter 280ai. This is my new favorite cartridge....2950 out of Berger 168's with Reloader 23....Very mild recoil. Extremely accurate....I have a 7 STW but the 280 AI I will be choosing most of the time....

Pic with the dot is a 300 yard group. That is 3 shots that measured less than .4" The other pic is a 500 Yard group that measured 1.15"

Attachments

• 280 AI 300 yd 500 yds 001.jpg
    280 AI 300 yd 500 yds 001.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 1,152
  • 280 AI 300 yd 500 yds 003.jpg
    280 AI 300 yd 500 yds 003.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 1,182

SC Hunter

Gimmie a shout out sometime....I always get hungry around noon for some reason!

Sounds good to me! I'll send you a pm soon.

I'm about 30 miles west of Leesburg. I could make it over there lunch sometime this summer. Where ya like to eat over your way?

Hayseed my favorite place to eat around this way is at Granny's Kitchen right at hwy 280 and hwy 19. I'm kinda partial to it since my granny is "Granny" down home cooking that's pretty decent. I'm always down to try new foods, I like to eat.:flag:

rmp

For the record, I don't think there's any magic to the ackley cartridges. I just despise trimming brass.

I've been debating on buying a Kimber 84L but in such a lightweight rifle, the recoil has me a bit concerned.
Not long ago, I picked up a long action 700 trued by Gre-Tan so I think that's the route I'll take. I've owned multiple 7mag's and sold them. Trying a 280ai is just me being a rifle loony. :)

jbroadnax

For the record, I don't think there's any magic to the ackley cartridges. I just despise trimming brass.

I've been debating on buying a Kimber 84L but in such a lightweight rifle, the recoil has me a bit concerned.
Not long ago, I picked up a long action 700 trued by Gre-Tan so I think that's the route I'll take. I've owned multiple 7mag's and sold them. Trying a 280ai is just me being a rifle loony. :)

You don't have to trim brass....Nosler make 280 AI brass.

rmp

You don't have to trim brass....Nosler make 280 AI brass.

My point being, I don't have Ackley chambers for the increase in speed, notoriety, or having a great looking cartridge. It's only because there isn't the case stretch associated with lesser shoulder angled brass, thus allowing me to shoot more and trim less.

Great looking groups BTW!!

jbroadnax

My point being, I don't have Ackley chambers for the increase in speed, notoriety, or having a great looking cartridge. It's only because there isn't the case stretch associated with lesser shoulder angled brass, thus allowing me to shoot more and trim less.

Great looking groups BTW!!

I understand. I have shot the same brass 4 times with no trimming so far and that is with a pretty hot load of 59grs of RL 23 and Berger 168's

rmp

There's nothing wrong with that. 26" barrel?

I'm hoping to get mine put together sometime next year. I have plans for it on Wyoming elk in 2017. I'm needing to finish up a 6x47 Lapua before I tackle anything else.

godogs57

I understand. I have shot the same brass 4 times with no trimming so far and that is with a pretty hot load of 59grs of RL 23 and Berger 168's

Shot my 280 AI for 30 or so years and have never had to trim brass in that time. The round is known as being very kind to brass. During load workup, if the load gets too warm, I have seen primer pocket enlargement though, but that's really been the only negative I've ever seen with the round. Obviously when you reach that point, you back off, so it really isn't a "problem" inherent with the round.

wareagle700

During load workup, if the load gets too warm, I have seen primer pocket enlargement though, but that's really been the only negative I've ever seen with the round.

I think that applies to loading many cartridges, not just an AI.

Dub

I've always been intrigued by this cartridge.

That being said......I've always been well served with .270 Win and 7mm RemMag rifles.

If I ever do go with a custom rifle.......280AI is what I'll do.

I've got a guy who I work with that does all sorts of custom barreling and is really getting into rifle building in a big way. I've added a Timney trigger to an older stainless .270Win 700 BDL that I've had for years. I can't stand the stock on it and have been meaning to replace it for the past couple seasons.......just never seem to do it. It has a scope on it that I truly love and will use for as long as I hunt.

Maybe I'll have a conversation soon with my work buddy and see what a new barrel in .280AI would set me back. I'm in no hurry as I have a handy little 7mm08 to hunt with......

This may be the year that I give my "dream" cartridge a try in a new barrel......cerakote the barrel & action.....and fit it into a decent stock.

The stock money is pretty much a wash no matter what I do.

The cost of the barreling and new ammo is what'll get into my pocket.

Kind of hard to justify the cost right now as I've still got some screaming hot 110gr Barnes loads in .270 Win. Factory loads at 3,400 fps that group well. Hmmmmnnnnn. Tough call.......

bevills1

Are 280 Rem loads fired in a 280AI rifle less accurate than 280AI loads in the same rifle? My Speer manual has no load data for 280AI, but Hogdgon data shows only about 100 fps advantage for the AI over the Rem with a 140 grain bullet; also I suspect custom dies would be needed to load the AI. Seems like more expense and effort for little benefit to me. I read AI chamberings perform better with heavier bullets which the Hogdgon data seems to support showing about 200 fps advantage of the AI over the Rem with a 160 grain bullet. Personally I like using 140 to 150 grain bullets in 7mm/.284 caliber due to less recoil, and I'd simply choose Barnes X or other premium bullet if I want to hunt elk, moose or bear. If I absolutely want higher velocity, it makes more sense to go the the 7mm Mag that exceeds the 280AI and avoid the extra cost and effort associated with the 280AI.

For those who like the round for aesthetics or other reasons, there's nothing wrong with that. That's the fun of the shooting sport and why I got a 35 Whelen about 20 years ago and a 338-06 about a half dozen years later.

godogs57

Are 280 Rem loads fired in a 280AI rifle less accurate than 280AI loads in the same rifle? My Speer manual has no load data for 280AI, but Hogdgon data shows only about 100 fps advantage for the AI over the Rem with a 140 grain bullet; also I suspect custom dies would be needed to load the AI. Seems like more expense and effort for little benefit to me. I read AI chamberings perform better with heavier bullets which the Hogdgon data seems to support showing about 200 fps advantage of the AI over the Rem with a 160 grain bullet. Personally I like using 140 to 150 grain bullets in 7mm/.284 caliber due to less recoil, and I'd simply choose Barnes X or other premium bullet if I want to hunt elk, moose or bear. If I absolutely want higher velocity, it makes more sense to go the the 7mm Mag that exceeds the 280AI and avoid the extra cost and effort associated with the 280AI.

For those who like the round for aesthetics or other reasons, there's nothing wrong with that. That's the fun of the shooting sport and why I got a 35 Whelen about 20 years ago and a 338-06 about a half dozen years later.

I've said this before and I'll repeat it again: In my 30 or so years shooting the AI, some of the most outstanding groups I've ever fired have been my fireforming loads shot with plain 280 Remington loads...I can't explain why, and don't waste time trying to figure it out, but I've shot many screamer loads in my AI with plain ol 280 ammo. Just happens!

hayseed_theology

A Kimber Montana 84L in .280ai will be my next factory rifle. I've had much success with ai'd cartridges and don't see any reason not to have them nowadays. Brass life and eliminating trimming are all I care about. Velocity gains have been minimal in mine.

The current edition of Rifle magazine has a write up on the Kimber 84L in .280 AI.