custom load development

Major Wader

Any local recommendations for custom load development?

I would like for someone to develop a custom hunting load for one of my rifles. It shoots well with factory ammo, but I know it could be better.

Any recommendations? Prefer someone within driving distance of Canton, GA (3-6 hours).

Caliber is .280 Ackley Improved

Last edited:

Lilly001

I use Reed’s ammunition and research, LLC. They will load pretty much what you want.
I’m not sure how they would work up a load for you. Maybe have them load a couple boxes in .5 grain increments?
You could specify the bullet and I’m sure they could work with you.
But it won’t be cheap. But probably cheaper than setting up to reload yourself.

Jester896

Senior Clown
that may be harder than it sounds and time consuming.
first best ES and SD
then seating depth adjustments
might take 3-4 3-6 hour trips

or send the rifle to someone for them to do it
Pendleton Ammunition
West Texas Ordinance
Copper Creek are a few places

Last edited:

Lilly001

that may be harder than it sounds and time consuming.
first best ES and SD
then seating depth adjustments
might take 3-4 3-6 hour trips

or send the rifle to someone for them to do it
Pendleton Ammunition
West Texas Ordinance
Copper Creek are a few places
Yeah.
When you bring all of that in it gets pretty involved.
Do you work loads with a preferred bullet first, then go to seating depth? Or do you try to do both at the same time?
I usualy pick a preferred bullet, seat it to max OAL , then load 3-5 cases in .5 grain increment starting 10% below max.
Then I start tinkering w/ OAL. Unless I can't get the rifle to shoot. Then I pick another bullet and start over.
It can get confusing and time and $ intense.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I try not to do 2 things at once...it is easier to figure out which one isn't working :)
just because "it" says that the best ES & SD is the lowest doesn't "always" ring true for me...most of the time yes. What ever prints the best group without pressure signs. Then I would try to tweek it with seating depth...then start over with a different bullet :D. I have Hornady OAL gauges for most that I use for a starting point.

Bluemoose

I shoot .280 Ackley Improved . Usually shooters with Wildcats are hand loaders.
There is factory ammo out there and depending on your rilfe they may or may not be accurate in your gun. But $$$$$. It would probably be worth your while to work up a load yourself. In the long run, to me, it is a lot more satisfying. There are several forums on facebook that are deicated to Ackley reloading. The target below is 5 rounds at 200 yardsIMG_0258.JPGIMG_0359.JPG