410 shells

rosewood

It costs me more to reload a box of .410 shells than it does to reload a box of 12 gauge shells.

That’s with me using my homemade shot…
How is that possible? You are using the same components in less quantities, unless you are buying new hulls??

Rosewood

rosewood

You’re not using the same components.
Primers and shot are the same. You are using a lot less in the .410 so you save there. Only difference is wad and hull. Wads are roughly same price as 12 gauge, so only difference in cost would be hull.

Rosewood

I’ve reloaded 25,000 .410 shells and over 100,000 12 gauge shells in my life.

I think I have the costs nailed down enough to make the statement that I made but I appreciate your input.

Currently, I can reload a box of 12 gauge for about $4.34.

Currently I can reload a box of .410 for $4.53.

Like I said, thats taking into account that I don't buy hulls and I don't buy shot (I make my own...)

I used to reload for a LOT less than those numbers, but who didn't...

Good day.

Last edited:

rosewood

I’ve reloaded 25,000 .410 shells and over 100,000 12 gauge shells in my life.

I think I have the costs nailed down enough to make the statement that I made but I appreciate your input.

Like I said, thats taking into account that I don't buy hulls and I don't buy shot (I make my own...)

I used to reload for a LOT less than those numbers, but who didn't...

Good day.
Can you break it down for me? I find loading .410 cheaper. Not trying to be hard headed, just want to know what you know I don't. You even use less gun powder in the .410.

Rosewood

rosewood

I know how to make my own shot.

There’s your cost delta.
So making your own shot makes it cost more for 410 than 12? Or do you buy shot for 410 and make your own for 12??

.410 uses 16 more grain of powder (lil gun $280/#8)
12 gauge 15 grains of (titewad $270/#8).

Cost difference in wads in the 5000 qty is negligible.
No cost for shot (I use my shot in .410-12 gauge and I have #1000 pounds of it in my garage, graphited and ready to go into shells)
No cost for hulls (For me)
Primer cost is the same (Clarinox 209)

So really the cost difference is the cost in the powder. Which the .410 powder cost more and uses a full grain more.

In the case of someone having to buy shot, it likely does cost someone less to load a box of .410 shells when you figure in the cost of the shot.

Before the storm I was reloading shotgun shells for half that amount.

Unless you're making your own shot, there is no way you can reload a box of shells much cheaper than that right now if you're going out to buy components. I don't even know what shot costs as I haven't bought any for the last dozen years.

Now if you are using a powder that's cheaper than lil' gun I am all ears...

Last edited:

rosewood

Ok, I see how that works out. The powder is the cost difference. For those of us that cannot make our own shot, the cost of shot will make the 12 gauge cost more than .410. Shot is the most expensive part for 12 gauge if you are using your own hulls at current prices.

Shot is roughly $60 per 25lbs now so that it is .15 per ounce. That puts the cost of shot for a 12 gauge 1 1/8oz load at .17 and the 1/2 oz .410 at .075. That makes 12 gauge $2.38-0.19(for powder) more than the .410 in a 25 round box.

Now if we can figure out how the ammo companies gets the .410 to be 2-3 times as much as 12 gauge...

However, looking at component cost, everything from the powder to shot to primers various quickly so those figures can change over night.

Rosewood

Last edited:

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Ok, I see how that works out. The powder is the cost difference. For those of us that cannot make our own shot, the cost of shot will make the 12 gauge cost more than .410. Shot is the most expensive part for 12 gauge if you are using your own hulls at current prices.

Shot is roughly $60 per 25lbs now so that it is .15 per ounce. That puts the cost of shot for a 12 gauge 1 1/8oz load at .17 and the 1/2 oz .410 at .075. That makes 12 gauge $2.38-0.19(for powder) more than the .410 in a 25 round box.

Now if we can figure out how the ammo companies gets the .410 to be 2-3 times as much as 12 gauge...

However, looking at component cost, everything from the powder to shot to primers various quickly so those figures can change over night.

Rosewood
The increased cost is in economy of scale in production. You have a line tooled up for 12 gauge production. You can make and sell them all day long in the market. Now you tear that line down and tool for .410 for a much smaller production run. Then you retool back for 12 gauge when the run is done. It is not only a material cost factor.

12-gauge shells are by far more popular which makes them cheaper overall to produce.

$60 for a bag of shot. Ouch. That makes me feel good about my shot maker. It drops #200 of 8 shot an hour....

I remember paying $10/ a bag for diamond hard shot 20 years ago over in Ohio at a reloading store. And I thought it was high then.

I have a ton of 3" .410 hulls and when the crimp pedals break off I put them in a jig I made for my planer, and I cut them down to 2.5" hulls and get another 4-5 reloads out of them.

I'm pretty frugal when it comes to hulls.

I have a lot of .410 shells loaded up right now. All of these cans are filled up.

I haven't shot much since the prices skyrocketed and clays cost so much these days.

Either way, I love shooting my .410. It's my go-to gun. I load them a little bit hot to that my velocity is on par with my 12-gauge loads so I don't have to do any calculations in my head when shooting. It's an apples-to-apples kind of thing (minus a significant amount of BB's...)
8CE1E323-C149-4A26-AB67-EE2F19708722.jpeg

rosewood

Crazy how they charge so much for dirt...

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR

GregoryB.

RKGuns.com has 410 ammo in stock online if you need some. 3 different options 2 1/2 shells just under $17 a box. Looked like squirrel loads.

Robust Redhorse

I would not bother with reloading .410.

They distort easily, the wads are hard to find, and the shell casings don't last long and everything from the brass up can become a projectile after 2-3 reloadings.

GunnSmokeer

Back when first started using shotguns,
12 gauge shells were 4 dollars a box at Kmart, and .410s were about eight dollars --twice as much.

Now 12 ga. is $10 a box and .410 is (I hear) $20. So... same proportions.

What really surprises me is that when I was a kid and teenager 12 gauge and 16 gauge shells were equally plentiful and priced exactly the same. You could get them in any Sears, any Kmart, or any hardware store.

Now 16 gauge shells are extremely rare and also priced twice as much as 12 gauge.

(I only found this out a few years ago when I traded a 9 mm pistol for a 16 gauge shotgun--the first one in that bore that I've ever owned.)

rosewood

The 3" 20 gauge put the 16 gauge out of business. Prior to the 3" 20, the 16 gauge held more pellets than the 20. Once the 20 could duplicate the 16, it kind became moot. There was a resurgence in the 16 gauge the last few years, I suspect it was nostalgia or the cool effect of the name.

Same thing happened with the 10 gauge. The 3.5" 12 gauge Magnum put the 10 gauge out of business, for same reasons, it duplicated the ballistics but at the same time still had the lighter 12 gauge load options.

Rosewood