55 days to football: The best No. 55's of all-time in school history

Gold Ranger

Now we're getting to the good stuff...

Marvin Jones was a force of nature in Tallahassee. A Butkus and Lombardi Award winner in 1992, "Shade Tree" Jones also finished fourth in 1992’s Heisman voting. Jones’ 27 career tackles-for-loss place him 20th, all-time, in ‘Nole history, and his 369 tackles from 1990-1992 have him eighth in total tackles at FSU. Those numbers, which saw him record north of 100 tackles in each of his three seasons in garnet and gold, helped Jones to consensus All-American honors in both 1991 and 1992, after being a third-team AP selection in his freshman year of 1990. And he was a first-team All-South Independent pick in ‘90 and ‘91, while garnering a first-team All-ACC nod in the Seminoles’ first year in the conference, in ‘92. In 1993, Jones was drafted fourth, overall, by the New York Jets. 2000 saw him inducted into the FSU Football Hall of Fame.

http://www.tomahawknation.com/

Are you really going to paste and copy this every day on this forum for the next 55 days? Give us some original content! ::ke:

I copied and pasted... WAY before my time.. :bounce:

#55 – E Dan Edwards
Dan Edwards was captain of the 1947 Gator Bowl team. During his years in Athens the Texas native's career was characterized by big plays. He is remembered best for the 67-yard touchdown pass he caught from Charley Trippi in the 1947 Gator Bowl. Edwards went on to play nine seasons in the NFL and CFL. Upon retiring Dan Edwards returned home to Gatesville, Texas and started a successful oil company.

bullgator

Scot Brantley LB 76-79. He was a high motor beast and had a long NFL starter career.
The man is an avid outdoorsman!

alphachief

Scot Brantley LB 76-79. He was a high motor beast and had a long NFL starter career.
The man is an avid outdoorsman!

I was a soph. DB at Evans HS when Scot was a senior at Ocala Forest. I had a good buddy who was a Sen. receiver at West Orange. WO ended up playing OF in the state playoffs and I went to watch. My buddy ran a crossing route and Brantley knocked him out and sent him to the hospital. To this day my buddy can't remember even getting on the team bus to drive to Ocala. Scot also played high level softball with my cousin. A good guy from what I hear...but a very bad dude on the field at all levels.

Gold Ranger

Trying to decide whether these threads fall under the spamming category. :bounce:
Oh, and Derrick Thomas was #55 at Alabama for the win.

I can stop. That's no problem. I just paste from TN to be quick and get the thread going.

bullgator

I was a soph. DB at Evans HS when Scot was a senior at Ocala Forest. I had a good buddy who was a Sen. receiver at West Orange. WO ended up playing OF in the state playoffs and I went to watch. My buddy ran a crossing route and Brantley knocked him out and sent him to the hospital. To this day my buddy can't remember even getting on the team bus to drive to Ocala. Scot also played high level softball with my cousin. A good guy from what I hear...but a very bad dude on the field at all levels.

Chief, if you remember, Brantley had a serious head or neck injury at UF. He was told to stop playing football or risk permanent disability. Anyway, I read where he went hunting when he was not allowed to play. That morning he comes walking out of the woods just as the UF team bus goes by heading to Tally for the game. He said that was the most depressing moment and may have lead to him deciding to go ahead and risk everything and play pro ball.

Good stuff right there! Thanks for sharing!:cool:

alphachief

Chief, if you remember, Brantley had a serious head or neck injury at UF. He was told to stop playing football or risk permanent disability. Anyway, I read where he went hunting when he was not allowed to play. That morning he comes walking out of the woods just as the UF team bus goes by heading to Tally for the game. He said that was the most depressing moment and may have lead to him deciding to go ahead and risk everything and play pro ball.

I know he ended up having a couple strokes and a heart issue over the last handful of years. I think he's back on sports radio in Tampa now. Funny thing, years ago I saw him on a Florida based fishing show bass fishing. At one point in the show he was fishing top water and went to set the hook...it flew back, and buried the treble hooks into his face. Made for great TV.