7x57 Mauser ammo

11pointer

I have a Spanish 7x57 mauser that I shoot S&B 140 grain that seem to be the most accurate groups, I have shot several brands and weights and the S&B's work best and have downed over 20 bucks with these rounds but some of what I have read is that modern cartridges are too "hot" for these old actions, my question is are there any factory rounds suitable for these old guns? I do not reload and have no plans to just for hunting, Thanks in advance!

rosewood

I am pretty sure name brand factory ammo is suitable for a 93. Only handloads or boutique ammo would be a concern.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
"Usually" factories load ammo to suit the weakest link in older firearms that use cartridges which started out at lower pressures many years ago. Many loading books also have different sections of data for cartridges that were initially used in older firearms and other data that specifically mentions to be used in modern firearms and certain actions.

Bobby Bigtime

I have shot various factory loads in 93 and 95 Mauser rifles and had no issues. But a friend that had a nice Sporter 95 was loading middle of the book loads with great success so I switched to those. I was with him when he took a moose with the rifle and loads.beautiful classic cartridge that doesn't need to be hot rodded. I have no idea what pressures the factory loads are putting out. I'm sure like rosewood eluded to that they probably take these rifles into consideration.

11pointer

I have shot various factory loads in 93 and 95 Mauser rifles and had no issues. But a friend that had a nice Sporter 95 was loading middle of the book loads with great success so I switched to those. I was with him when he took a moose with the rifle and loads.beautiful classic cartridge that doesn't need to be hot rodded. I have no idea what pressures the factory loads are putting out. I'm sure like rosewood eluded to that they probably take these rifles into consideration.
7x57 has taken practically every big animal on the planet up to an including elephant but supposedly the weaker metals used in the actions of the Spanish Mausers are not suited for higher pressure loads of some factory ammo but no one so far has pointed to a specific manufacturer or round that could be potentially dangerous to the shooter because of the lack of a third locking lug, a good friend that passed was an older gunsmith that specialized in the Mauser bolt action rifle specifically the K98 and he checked my rifle and his comment on the action was 'very tight' with a headspace considered at factory tolerance but there are lots of guys out there who always say the Spanish 7x57 is a ticking timebomb I was just wondering if there was factory ammo that was lower pressure than others or like someone said the manufacturer takes into consideration what the ammo may be used in.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I would do your own research to ease your own mind, but I have always read/heard that factory ammo made in the USA by the major ammunition manufacturers like Remington, Winchester, Federal load their 7x57 ammo to 46,000psi and under because of the possibility that it is used in M93 Mausers.
Now, I wouldn't use Buffalo Bore, Norma, or any of the smaller manufacturers ammo without contacting them first.

11pointer

I would do your own research to ease your own mind, but I have always read/heard that factory ammo made in the USA by the major ammunition manufacturers like Remington, Winchester, Federal load their 7x57 ammo to 46,000psi and under because of the possibility that it is used in M93 Mausers.
Now, I wouldn't use Buffalo Bore, Norma, or any of the smaller manufacturers ammo without contacting them first.
Thanks

rosewood

The k98 is a tank. The 93&96 are best left to factory chambering and ammo at standard pressures.

Rosewood

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
The k98 is a tank. The 93&96 are best left to factory chambering and ammo at standard pressures.

Rosewood
A lot of those Spanish Mausers were converted to .308win. I never owned one or knew anyone that did. I don't know if they had pressure problems going to that cartidge.

11pointer

A lot of those Spanish Mausers were converted to .308win. I never owned one or knew anyone that did. I don't know if they had pressure problems going to that cartidge.
I have heard that a lot however I have not owned one myself only 7mm's but I did see one chambered in 30-06 my cousin had, loaned it to a guy to deer hunt with and never saw the gun again

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I have heard that a lot however I have not owned one myself only 7mm's but I did see one chambered in 30-06 my cousin had, loaned it to a guy to deer hunt with and never saw the gun again
That is awful

Bobby Bigtime

In the later 80s ,I purchased at least a dozen of the 1916 Mauser carbines that were rechamberd to 308. I got them for 69.00 bucks and would clean them up and resale them. They were nice, shot well and were light and handy. I am pretty sure they were 93 or 95 actions. The coworkers that bought them loved those things as pickup guns and shot the snot out of them. I wish I would have kept a couple of them. It is a bit unnerving now to think about them in 308 but I shot hundreds of surplus rounds out of them and I know those other guys did as well.

Bobby Bigtime

I was also able to purchase crates of ammo for those guns for 90 bucks(how many per crate???) But they were packed in cool 15 round boxes that had a flip top lid like a cigarette pack.each crate also had about a dozen leather pouches that fit those boxes.it may have been possible that ammo was loaded to a lower pressure window but I don't know that. Plenty of factory soft points left those barrels that's for sure.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
7.62x51 is usually slightly lower in pressure than .308 win ammo due to the military brass having thicker walls than commercial .308win brass meaning slightly less capacity. Plus, military chambers are cut with more headspace. They can be 6 to 15 thousands longer than SAAMI .308 chambers. Thicker military brass has the extra brass to make up that stretch. Commercial .308 brass might stretch too much and get thin in a spot after only one firing in a 7.62x51 chamber.

The reality is that thousands upon thousands of Mausers were rechambered to .308 and were fed and fired everything that was put through them without a problem. I would guess that most are never shot enough to make a difference in wear and tear.

rosewood

I wasn't aware the 93 Mausers had been converted to 308. That being said, I wouldn't bat an eye using factory 7x57 ammo in one.

I converted my 93 to 6.5x55. But I only use handloads and use the (military action) load data.

Rosewood