.25-06 Rem Ammo?

fatback

Looks like the 117 grain hornadays are pretty popular. The 110 grain accubonds also seem interesting. Since I don’t hand load I will have to use factory ammo. Should have the rifle by the end of the week and will try several different factory loads and see which one the rifle likes best. It is a Ruger M77, MarkII.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I think I have a Bell & Carlson Mossy Oak Breakup stock in L/A for one of those laying around somewhere. Might even have some rings for it. Just remember to load it from the magazine...don't just drop a round in the chamber and close the bolt. If you are shooting singles it is real easy to push it down in the mag box from the top.

Mine is an M77VT MKII

Last edited:

bighonkinjeep

They do seem to be popular with others, and this is just my opinion and experience, but unless they've changed the SST I've found the jackets to be very thin and frangible. Much more like a varmint bullet than a medium game bullet. They do have a heck of a marketing campaign as a "premium product" and Hornady gets em plenty of shelf space even though I think the interbond is a better bullet.
In my opinion the SSTs are way overdriven in the 25-06 and they are more suitable for coyotes, nuisance beavers, nutria and such.
Will the SST kill a deer? Obviously it will. Is their a more effective projectile in a .25-06 ? In my opinion, a bunch of em.
I'm of the opinion that the high velocity of the 25-06 works much better with a tougher preferably bonded core or partition style bullet.
Just thought Id share a few of my observations.

Jester896

Senior Clown
that is the way polymer tipped bullets are designed. The tip pushes back to more rapidly expand the bullet where the soft point version mushrooms more slowly. You will get better results farther out with the tipped bullets than you might with soft points and vise versa.

transfixer

that is the way polymer tipped bullets are designed. The tip pushes back to more rapidly expand the bullet where the soft point version mushrooms more slowly. You will get better results farther out with the tipped bullets than you might with soft points and vise versa.

understood, but how thick the jacket is, or how they taper the thickness of the jacket will determine how much it expands or comes apart , I've found them to work well in .300bo, but would not want to run them in my .308, or in my .243 on deer sized game , I probably could though, since I only take high behind the shoulder shots as a rule anyway, so a destructive bullet would guarantee I damage the spine with that shot, I'd just hate to have a bad shot and hit center shoulder bone

bighonkinjeep

my experience with the SST's in .30 caliber is yes, they are thin jacketed, and driven up around 2500-3000fps they will violently expand, you wouldn't want to shoulder shoot one with one
I actually use the .30 cal 125 SSTs for my reduced .308 loads for the grandkids because they will reliably expand at much lower veloxitys than that. I'm loading muzzle velocitts of 22- 2400 from a 16" barrel and getting complete expansion with core seperation at 100 yards on deer with 69gr of recoverable bullet pieces inside the off side of the organs.

deast1988

I’ve tried
117gr hornady custom interlock
117gr federal premium bear claws old stock
117gr hornady whitetail interlock
117gr hornady sst superformance
100gr Etip nosler reload
100gr Barnes TTSX reload

You place it right Fire works on the receiving end. Currently using the Barnes, it does as advertised.

transfixer

I actually use the .30 cal 125 SSTs for my reduced .308 loads for the grandkids because they will reliably expand at much lower veloxitys than that. I'm loading muzzle velocitts of 22- 2400 from a 16" barrel and getting complete expansion with core seperation at 100 yards on deer with 69gr of recoverable bullet pieces inside the off side of the organs.

I had those kind of results using those in a .300bo, handloaded to 2100-2200 also

bighonkinjeep

Great Googly Moogly
Just did a quick online search to see whats available online as far as factory 25-06 ammo.
If I werent already set up to handload for it and didnt have several sticks to feed, I believe I'd straight up skip it in favor of something with a lot more factory brands and bullet weights available. As cool as it is, it isnt one I'd want to be dependant on factory loadings for.

Reactions: Dub

Jester896

Senior Clown
I think the most available stuff right now is Hornady, PPU and if your lucky some Winchester Deer Season tipped stuff.

You may be able to stop at Hornady ;)

Dub

Great Googly Moogly
Just did a quick online search to see whats available online as far as factory 25-06 ammo.
If I werent already set up to handload for it and didnt have several sticks to feed, I believe I'd straight up skip it in favor of something with a lot more factory brands and bullet weights available. As cool as it is, it isnt one I'd want to be dependant on factory loadings for.

Sadly, that seems to be the case with a couple of our fan favorite cartridges over the past 3+ years.

I wasn't shooting much during that time for other reasons.....but will be in full swing, Lord willing, leading up to this next election season and afterwards. Made dang sure that I have dies and bullets for everything I plan on running.

It is a sorry state of affairs when a guy can't even find .270 Win or .243 Win ammo. That last rioting-scamdemic era was absurd.