8/6/05--First Big Wood Bait Bass

Lightninrod

Back to the swamp pond at about 11:30 AM to 3:30 PM today. Lots of cloud cover, little wind, not as hot--high 80s-low 90s, and fairly clear water.

Y'all know I've been concentrating on swimbaits lately. I'm trying to find the bigger Bass if they're here. With that in mind, I received a copy of this new book and finished reading it last night. If you're willing to change your mind about how to hunt big Bass, it's a worthy read. Some things they say will ne 'bass-ackwards' to what we've alway's thought we should do but both authors have the credentials to back up their techniques and recommendations.

I've thrown the Slammer a few times before today but with very little confidence in it. Matt's swimbait Bass have increased my trust in bigger baits and that book reinforced my new-found confidence.

Today, I got my first strike on the Slammer and landed a 4 lb, 13 oz.--23" Bass. Needless to say, I've got a big grin on in the pics. She wrapped my line around a staub and I thought I was going to lose her but the 20# test fluro held up even thru several minutes of sawing back and forth by the Bass and me trying to unravel her wraps.

I caught 2 Bass on Matt's BB, a 1 and a 2 lber but no pics.

Then I started pitching another new bait, a Rago Generic Mouse which is a floating, shallow(1-2') diving cr/bait. This is a hard-plastic bait that is 6.75" long. It has great action with the jointed body and the 'worm-tail'. I caught a 3.0 lb, 20" Bass on it as I cranked it down near a stump.

Had 2 or 3 blow-ups on both of those baits but no hook-ups except for those two Bass but I'm not complainin'.

Slammer Bass

Same

Belly shot

Rago Mouse Bass

Same

Dan

Lightninrod

gatrapper said:
Nice Fish!! Where can you get that mouse lure? And is it topwater or underwater?

Here it is.

It's a floater but it has a diving bill that will pull it under about a foot or two if you reel it down. Otherwise, the bill make's it 'wiggle' as you reel or twitch it slowly.

Dan

Lostoutlaw

Nice Album

Hey Dan
I went ahead and checked ya whole album and man looks like ya got some good lookin fish, you and Bill thanks for sharin pic.... :banana: :banana: :banana:

Lightninrod

Thank's Lo. Hope ya didn't find any 'nekkid' women ;) .

Dan

Lightninrod

It's the 7", Regular model Slammer. My tackle won't handle the bigger models.

Dan

bull0ne

Banned
I'm planning on getting a 9'' model,likely the xx for this fall when the bite picks up......

I think i can go to a bigger rod and use the abu garcia 6000 with good results.

Lightninrod

bull: As you may know, I'm a Kistler Helium fan but this rod is one that is recommended for the heavier baits by swimbait Bassers I respect.

I'm afraid your Abu 6000 is going to be a mis-match. The same guys recommend a 300 or a 400 size reel like a Shimano. My Calais 200 is marginal at best with that 7" Slammer. You are going to be throwing a lot of wood as the 9" model weigh's 2.40 ounces :huh: .

Let us know how whatever you end up with work's for you.

Dan

bull0ne

Banned
I use a 1.25 oz musky jitterbug with an uglystick and a 6000 abu,i'll try the slammer this fall and let you know.

I cast live bait that weighs 4-6 oz. with a sidearm cast....tricky but can be done with practice.