9.3x62mm build (pic heavy)

pacecars

I decided I needed one rifle capable of taking anything from Coyotes to Elephants. I bought a Brno Model 21 in 8x57mm off of Gunbroker. I sent the barreled action to JES Reboring in Oregon for re-boring and rechambering to 9.3x62mm. The stock was sent to a gentleman in Texas to add a red recoil pad and an ebony forearm tip. Once the stock is through the whole rifle will be sent to Mike McCabe to add an Oberndorf style bolt handle and install a Dakota 3 position safety. Mike is also going to modify some Talley bases so the "charging" hump can be retained. Once done Mike will rust blue it. It will be topped with a Leupold FXII 4x33 scope with a #4 reticle. Before any one says anything , the stock is not original, the bolt handle is not original and it was already drilled and tapped so it is not a collectors piece. Here are the before pics as it came to me:

Brno8x57.jpg

Brnotop.jpg

DSC_0001-1.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0003-1.jpg

DSC_0002-1.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

More pics to follow as it comes together. I got the barreled action back today! One week for the rebore!

cmshoot

Sweet! That is an outstanding caliber. I bought a CZ550FS in .30-06 a few years ago, came dang close to buying it in 9.3x62mm instead.

Looking forward to seeing the build as it progresses.

pacecars

When I started my quest for a 9.3x62 I thought for sure I would get a Ruger Hawkeye or a CZ 550. Either way I was going to do some work on the stocks. I found a few Husqvarnas and thought about reboring one of those when this one showed up

kracker

Gone, but not Forgotten
That should turn out very nice. Keep us posted please, I'm wanting a Ruger No.1 In 9.3x62 something fierce but could go with something like that in a heartbeat. Nice find on the rifle, I love finding stuff that's different from what everybody else is using.

Did I mention I love double set triggers?? Good Lord, now I have something else to obsess over.

weagle

That is an awesome rifle and 9.3x62 is one of those chamberings I will own at some point.

A small ring, post war commercial mauser chambered in 9.3x62. I think it would be easy to argue that it's the finest all around hunting rifle in the world. :clap:

Weagle

pacecars

I got the Dakota 3 position safety in today!

pacecars

9.3mm aint a whole lot bigger than an 8mm but it does make a difference when you look at it. This is as bad as ordering a Shiloh Sharps. Every time I see another custom Mauser I think of something to add. The bad part is that that increases the price too!

weagle

I have a Brno 22F in 8x57 and it is by far my favorite rifle. The 8x57 will handle anything I will ever hunt, but the 9.3x62 is in another league. I think it is the Minimum for Cape Buffalo is some areas and that says a lot. Everything I have ever read about the 9.3x57 is that is nipping at the heals of the .375 H&H and is still very manageable in a sporter weight rifle. Plus it fits in a standard length mauser.

pacecars

Coming along

DSC_0003-2.jpg

DSC_0002-2.jpg

Last edited: