A Comparison Of Two Plots

davidhelmly

First off sorry for the picture size, they are from my Cuddelink system. The pics are small enough that I'm sure I could do them side by side for comparison but I'm not that techie...
Both of these plots were planted on 10-18-2019 which was a day or two after we had the first rain in quite a while, both were planted with 75# wheat, 5# alice white clover, 3# balansa clover, 1#GHR, 1# PTT to the acre using a Woods minimal till seeder. Both were loading docks 5-6 years ago and have just sat fallow, the first one (Big Plot) was mowed in the summer, plowed with a spring tooth plow and harrowed to try and work the thatch in from the cab high weeds, it was then fertilized heavily and planted in a summer mix that got no rain and did zero. The second plot (East) was mowed about a month before planting and sprayed with gly and I intended to plow/harrow it but never had the time and it has not been fertilized at all either.
I was surprised how similar they look in growth since one was broken p and fertilized and the other had neither done.

I will actually have to post the second pics in a reply as this forum wont let me post the pics in the order I select, I really miss the old simple forum!!!

First pot (Big Plot).

T__00010.JPGT__00076.JPGT__00141.JPGT__00507.JPG

Kdog

Will be interested to see the difference in use as the growing progresses. Right now they are young and tender, so the deer should use them equally. May see a difference by mid December. Did you lime wither plot?

davidhelmly

Will be interested to see the difference in use as the growing progresses. Right now they are young and tender, so the deer should use them equally. May see a difference by mid December. Did you lime wither plot?
Very true about later use, neither plot was limed.

Iwannashoot

Pesident of the Fla Chaper Useless Billy club.
Very true about later use, neither plot was limed.

David,
I am about to start trying to convert a couple old logging ramps to perennial clover plots. Was curious to find out why you didn't apply lime? Trying to learn all I can from ya'll that are experts before I start the process.

Thanks
Jeff

davidhelmly

David,
I am about to start trying to convert a couple old logging ramps to perennial clover plots. Was curious to find out why you didn't apply lime? Trying to learn all I can from ya'll that are experts before I start the process.

Thanks
Jeff
Jeff, it just worked out that I didn't have time because this plot is on a small piece that we picked up pretty late. I would definitely do a soil test and lime your logging ramps asap, your clover will thank you. On our archery lease I try and keep all of our plots in the high 6's-low 7's by testing and liming every few years, I had about 40 tons spread this past spring.

Iwannashoot

Pesident of the Fla Chaper Useless Billy club.
David,
Thanks for the response. The soil tests are planned with lime spreading in the spring and clover plot establishment in the fall next year. So far our rudimentary plot program has not been successful with clover and I suspect Ph problems are the main cause.

Kdog

I had about 40 tons spread this past spring.

Holy smokes!!!! My buddy complained when I said we needed 7 tons, and he only put out 4. I know you have more acreage in plots than we do, but how many acres did that go on, and at what rate?

davidhelmly

Holy smokes!!!! My buddy complained when I said we needed 7 tons, and he only put out 4. I know you have more acreage in plots than we do, but how many acres did that go on, and at what rate?
We have about 40 acs of plots total but about 5 acs of that is in an area that was clearcut this year and visible from the road so we only planted about 35 acs. When I got the lease in 2007 we put 3 tons per acre per our soil samples, now I sample a few each year and normally add 1 - 1 1/2 tons per acre every 3-4 years to all of them. I didn't need quite 40 tons this year but I just had Cedar Rock spread 4 full trucks.

Jim Boyd

Great pics David.

I just want a planter like that one!!!!

davidhelmly

David:
Curious to know. Now a month later how you think growth in the two plots compare.
Thanks
Albuds,
The last pic from each plot was only about a week ago and I didn’t see them this weekend so I don’t know any more yet.