Trying to save Fall's Clover Plot

Ihunt

The only thing cheap about a clover plot is the clover seed. Factor in everything else and it adds up to a nice chunk of change. $500 per acre per year give or take to maintain. Nice not having to totally start from scratch every fall and feeds them year round! Even when I have a feeder out they spend more time with their head down in the clover than under the feeder!
Not sure what you’re putting on yours but mine is probably less than $100.00 per acre per year.

Ihunt

$14.00 for 6 ozs of Imox. $75.00 for fertilizer. That’s 200lbs to the acre. $15-$20.00 for oats.

What exactly do you do the spend $500.00

Attachments

• 32B6AB6F-1677-4024-ADBE-88344B79B353.jpeg
    32B6AB6F-1677-4024-ADBE-88344B79B353.jpeg
    433.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 432FF7BA-57F8-4713-B405-5F0DF0E9B926.jpeg
    432FF7BA-57F8-4713-B405-5F0DF0E9B926.jpeg
    427.4 KB · Views: 13

TomC

$14.00 for 6 ozs of Imox. $75.00 for fertilizer. That’s 200lbs to the acre. $15-$20.00 for oats.

What exactly do you do the spend $500.00
-Spring and Fall Fertilizer - 8 to 10 bags of 6-24-24 @ $30 /bag $250 ish
-Spring and Fall Clethodim and 24DB costs - $100 to $150 based on 2 Spring sprayings and one Fall spray, buy in larger quantities so hard to nail down exact cost.
-10lbs Clover seed per year covers Fall overseed and Winter frost seed - $50
-200lbs of Cereal Rye for Fall overseed 4 bags at $30 / bag - $120

Estimated yearly costs but it adds up. Didn’t include lime costs as that cost was a few years back and soil tests the past 2 years say PH is still good. Will do another soil test this month. I'm sure you could get by with less but going into year 3 its lush, thick and full of deer every day of the year!

Ihunt

-Spring and Fall Fertilizer - 8 to 10 bags of 6-24-24 @ $30 /bag $250 ish
-Spring and Fall Clethodim and 24DB costs - $100 to $150 based on 2 Spring sprayings and one Fall spray, buy in larger quantities so hard to nail down exact cost.
-10lbs Clover seed per year covers Fall overseed and Winter frost seed - $50
-200lbs of Cereal Rye for Fall overseed 4 bags at $30 / bag - $120

Estimated yearly costs but it adds up. Didn’t include lime costs as that cost was a few years back and soil tests the past 2 years say PH is still good. Will do another soil test this month. I'm sure you could get by with less but going into year 3 its lush, thick and full of deer every day of the year!
I’m trying IMOX this year. It has a residual so I’m hoping only one Cleth spraying in early fall. I only fertilize one time a year.

Not sure how many acres you have but can you buy your fertilizer in bulk?

lildorris00

Clethodim for grass, 24DB (Butryac 200) NOT 24D for broadleaf as mentioned. Started Fall 2020, still had a fair amount….more than a fair amount of weeds last spring but is finally clearing up nicely. I’m a couple states North so just starting to pop. Under a couple acres I just can’t imagine there being any better food plot than Ladino / Durana. This plot is just under 2 acres. 20 to 30+ deer hit this every day of the year and it handles the pressure like a champ! I'll spray mid April, late May and then again around Labor Day, then overseed with cereal rye mid October, frost seed more clover February, 6-24-24 spring and fall as 0-20-20 is not readily available where I live.View attachment 1218518View attachment 1218519
This may be a dumb question but late to the game. Is the B in 24-db butoxyethel ester? Im looking at the crossbow specialty herbicide. Is that the same stuff as the butryac 200?

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !

TomC

This may be a dumb question but late to the game. Is the B in 24-db butoxyethel ester? Im looking at the crossbow specialty herbicide. Is that the same stuff as the butryac 200?
Crossbow and 24DB have different uses. Crossbow is best to wipe out vines and brushy type stuff. 24DB which will probably be labeled on the front of the jug as Butyrac 200 is a broadleaf herbicide. You need both Clethodim and 24DB to clean up your clover.

brofoster

You did throw everything at it! :) . You will know in late June what and how much of the perennials have "taken hold". The ladino and medium red will still be around, but let everything go to seed and it will keep producing for you in the future.

2,4d-b is what you want to use for broadleaf weeds. Butyrac 200 is 2,4d-b
This is awesome. Thanks for educating me on this!

lildorris00

Another dumb/new question but I got me some BUTYRAC 200 for my clover plot and looking at the application instructions it says 2-3 quarts per acre. My question is how much water do I mix the 2-3 quarters in or does it even matter? What I mean is if I mix it in a 25 gallon sprayer and spray the full 25 gallons on a 1 acre plot that had 2-3 quarters would that be the same thing as mixing it in 20 gallons of water and spraying the entire 20 gallons on the 1 acre plot? Does it really dilute it if I spread the entire amount over the 1 acre?

davidhelmly

Another dumb/new question but I got me some BUTYRAC 200 for my clover plot and looking at the application instructions it says 2-3 quarts per acre. My question is how much water do I mix the 2-3 quarters in or does it even matter? What I mean is if I mix it in a 25 gallon sprayer and spray the full 25 gallons on a 1 acre plot that had 2-3 quarters would that be the same thing as mixing it in 20 gallons of water and spraying the entire 20 gallons on the 1 acre plot? Does it really dilute it if I spread the entire amount over the 1 acre?
You’re right I’m that the amount of water doesn’t matter as long as you have 2-3 qts of your Butyrac 200 in there and it’s enough to thoroughly cover the 1 acre. It is a lot easier to completely cover 1 acre with 25 gallons than it is with 10-15. Also Butyrac 200 works best when the broadleaf weeds you are trying to kill are small, 2-3” if possible, if you wait until they get tall you will not be happy with the results.

lildorris00

You’re right I’m that the amount of water doesn’t matter as long as you have 2-3 qts of your Butyrac 200 in there and it’s enough to thoroughly cover the 1 acre. It is a lot easier to completely cover 1 acre with 25 gallons than it is with 10-15. Also Butyrac 200 works best when the broadleaf weeds you are trying to kill are small, 2-3” if possible, if you wait until they get tall you will not be happy with the results.
Are you telling me it’s too late to be effective? Lol. Some of the broadleafs are getting tall for sure

davidhelmly

Are you telling me it’s too late to be effective? Lol. Some of the broadleafs are getting tall for sure
Butyrac isn’t an extremely strong chemical, look on jug label and see what the size recommends are to make sure but the taller it is the less desirable your results will be.

lildorris00

I saw that and you are right, it says 2-3 inches. I know I’m a few weeks later this year (first clover plot) and was thinking it would be better than nothing but then again it ain’t cheap to just waste on it

Ihunt

How may ounces of IMOX per acre do you use?
I would have to look but I think it’s max rate of 6 oz to the acre per year. I used the max rate.

Latest posts