A couple of WMA questions

seafarer

I was wondering if it's allowed to walk on the handicapped access roads to get to areas beyond the handicapped section?

A creek that I want to hunt is on a closed road. I believe that I would be okay transporting a canoe on this closed road to get to the creek. Anyone see a problem doing this?

Bonus question: bicycles are okay on closed roads but have they made a determination on electric bikes? I'm guessing no since they are motorized. Just curious. I have no intention paying the exorbitant prices they want for one of these things.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
I was wondering if it's allowed to walk on the handicapped access roads to get to areas beyond the handicapped section?

A creek that I want to hunt is on a closed road. I believe that I would be okay transporting a canoe on this closed road to get to the creek. Anyone see a problem doing this?

Bonus question: bicycles are okay on closed roads but have they made a determination on electric bikes? I'm guessing no since they are motorized. Just curious. I have no intention paying the exorbitant prices they want for one of these things.

I'm pretty sure it's legal to use the ADA access areas, but you might want to consider the fact that you parking there may make someone with a disability think the area is occupied by another person. I think it would be more respectful to avoid using those very limited areas for those folks that are not as fortunate as the rest of us.

Regarding e-bikes, you can use them behind closed gates just like a regular bike as long as they are 750 watts or less and the WMA is state owned or leased. For WMAs on USFS Land you are limited to open, ungated roads with them as the USFS still considers them motorized like a motorcycle or ATV.

seafarer

I'm pretty sure it's legal to use the ADA access areas, but you might want to consider the fact that you parking there may make someone with a disability think the area is occupied by another person. I think it would be more respectful to avoid using those very limited areas for those folks that are not as fortunate as the rest of us.

Regarding e-bikes, you can use them behind closed gates just like a regular bike as long as they are 750 watts or less and the WMA is state owned or leased. For WMAs on USFS Land you are limited to open, ungated roads with them as the USFS still considers them motorized like a motorcycle or ATV.
I have no intention of interfering with anyone's hunt. I hadn't thought about the parking. The reason I was asking was that some of the roads seem to be handicap roads for a short ways and then turn into regular closed roads.

ucfireman

My understanding is all areas of a WMA are open unless posted as a safety zone. I would not hunt the trail but all land behind it and off of it are free to hunt. And I would not hesitate if you find good sign.
I wonder if you can walk through a safety zone to get to an area behind it. I my self have hunted within view of the red signs before.

tr21

My understanding is all areas of a WMA are open unless posted as a safety zone. I would not hunt the trail but all land behind it and off of it are free to hunt. And I would not hesitate if you find good sign.
I wonder if you can walk through a safety zone to get to an area behind it. I my self have hunted within view of the red signs before.
my understanding is yes you can cross a safety zone, but be sure your gun is unloaded when you do .