Paulding Forest WMA Camping

I read an old thread on this forum that says camping is allowed anywhere in Paulding County as long as there aren't any signs at that spot saying it's forbidden there.

I would like to come down and go squirrel hunting during the week and camp for the night. It seems the WMA has changed a great deal since messages about it here were posted as the Airport was built and many communities were created in spots inside the wma that aren't wma property.

I wouldn't mind hiking away from the car for awhile, but from what I've heard it might be
better to stay close to it overnight so it doesn't get broken into. Have they opened many roads due to archery deer season starting? Seems like there are lots of places for camping if some of the WMA roads are open.

Toliver

I read an old thread on this forum that says camping is allowed anywhere in Paulding County as long as there aren't any signs at that spot saying it's forbidden there.

I would like to come down and go squirrel hunting during the week and camp for the night. It seems the WMA has changed a great deal since messages about it here were posted as the Airport was built and many communities were created in spots inside the wma that aren't wma property.

I wouldn't mind hiking away from the car for awhile, but from what I've heard it might be
better to stay close to it overnight so it doesn't get broken into. Have they opened many roads due to archery deer season starting? Seems like there are lots of places for camping if some of the WMA roads are open.
I don't see anything in the regs prohibiting camping. Do you have spots you already hunt or do you take requests for squirrel thinning in certain areas?

I don't see anything in the regs prohibiting camping. Do you have spots you already hunt or do you take requests for squirrel thinning in certain areas?
I have never been to Paulding WMA. It's just halfway between me and a friend who lives in Bowdon. Any advice on where to find the tree rats I would be grateful for.

westcobbdog

Much if it is one big hardwood ridge or hardwood bottom, so squirrels / acorns are everywhere. The check in station is manned and off Braswell Mtn Rd., perhaps give them a call.

That's good to hear, gets me excited. Up in Dawson WMA I've been out four or five times this year and only shot at two squirrels and got one. They seem scarce so far.

I had a great time camping. Ended up with three squirrels. Could have had a couple of more, but I missed one last night and it got too dark to keep tracking him, and this morning after I got one, I saw another moving around in a tree, but it started raining hard so he hunkered down and I had to go to make it to work in-time.

Paulding WMA is awesome, jealous of folks that live close. Huge WMA with so many different tracts and slivers it would take a decade to explore it all. I like it much better then Dawson Forest. Much more navigable with the way the roads are laid out, and much more variety of habitat. Small pines, tall pines, hardwoods etc.. Found a nice spot about 200 yards off Corley Ridge Rd and camped there for the night.

huntersluck

The problem with Paulding forest is it is convenient to highly populated areas and the deer hunts are sign in so it is hunted heavy, way too heavy, but for small game hunting and turkey hunting it is not bad

I spoke with DNR a few months ago about this. They said its allowed anywhere within the WMA. You can always call again to confirm.

I met another hunter there the last time i was scouting. He had told me most folks camp out on blue car body road. I havent done that yet though.