A few more bucks from over the years

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I'm a piebald magnet. Three bucks and five does so far. Here are the three bucks. First photo, 8, killed in Macon Co. Al. Took four years to get a shot at him after seeing him the first time. Second photo. Macon Co. Al, was in a stand, heard him grunting and knew where he was headed. Got down, headed him off and shot him. We tried to keep them out of the herd. Last one, SW Ga, First photo he was a young small rack 8 point. He disappeared for several years, then turned back up. Clear cutting had moved him. Shot him trailing a doe. Three larger bucks were following. I shot the piebald. He weighted 177. I'm after another one now, been after him for three seasons. Nobody has seen him, but we still get his photo's. He's a big wide 8.

Attachments

• AL10 .jpg
    AL10 .jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 69
  • AL2 .jpg
    AL2 .jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 68
  • A319.jpg
    A319.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 67

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I could have taken a shot at the first piebald with a bow in a hard rain one day. Was a risky shot, so didn't take it. It was that day that let me know where he was holding up during daylight. That same season, I set up there and caught him at the break of day entering a large bottom covered with tall cane. The five does were taken on a farm I managed for over 14 years for timber and hunting. Never took any photo's. There was one small piebald doe still there when I retired from that job. Just couldn't shoot her, she was too tame and would often follow me around. I had her named spot.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Ol One Eye. Bucks like this are difficult to get. They are nocturnal. Took me three seasons to get this buck after the first trail camera photo. Most old bucks like this are killed during the rut. That's how I got him, he was chasing a doe. Thought about mounting him, Never got around to it. Just keep the antlers around so I can admire.

Attachments

• one eye.jpg
    one eye.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 60
  • oneeybuck .JPG
    oneeybuck .JPG
    234.2 KB · Views: 63
  • A299.jpg
    A299.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 61

mtclev5651

I'm a piebald magnet. Three bucks and five does so far. Here are the three bucks. First photo, 8, killed in Macon Co. Al. Took four years to get a shot at him after seeing him the first time. Second photo. Macon Co. Al, was in a stand, heard him grunting and knew where he was headed. Got down, headed him off and shot him. We tried to keep them out of the herd. Last one, SW Ga, First photo he was a young small rack 8 point. He disappeared for several years, then turned back up. Clear cutting had moved him. Shot him trailing a doe. Three larger bucks were following. I shot the piebald. He weighted 177. I'm after another one now, been after him for three seasons. Nobody has seen him, but we still get his photo's. He's a big wide 8.
Do you have some trail cam pics of him?

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Had some of the last one. Have some of the one I'm after now.

Attachments

• pie.jpg
    pie.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 47

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Let me end this thread with the old buck that went to a trail camera to expire. He wouldn't have gone that far if I had not jumped him once. It was wet, swamp was about 2 feet deep average. Didn't have much to go by except for some hair and blood on some grass where he was shot. Once he entered the wet land, couldn't tell much because deer had been everywhere during the chase this buck and a huge six that had gone on. The shot was at about 80 yards, Browning A bolt 06.

Attachments

• eyecomingin.jpg
    eyecomingin.jpg
    448.3 KB · Views: 69
  • Eye infrntofcamera.JPG
    Eye infrntofcamera.JPG
    499.5 KB · Views: 70
  • Eyedown2.JPG
    Eyedown2.JPG
    453.5 KB · Views: 71
  • Eyecheckhim out.JPG
    Eyecheckhim out.JPG
    440.2 KB · Views: 70
  • Eyewhat a day.JPG
    Eyewhat a day.JPG
    294.5 KB · Views: 70
  • Camerabuck.jpg
    Camerabuck.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 71

mtclev5651

Let me end this thread with the old buck that went to a trail camera to expire. He wouldn't have gone that far if I had not jumped him once. It was wet, swamp was about 2 feet deep average. Didn't have much to go by except for some hair and blood on some grass where he was shot. Once he entered the wet land, couldn't tell much because deer had been everywhere during the chase this buck and a huge six that had gone on. The shot was at about 80 yards, Browning A bolt 06.
Love the smile on your face in the pic haha

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Those piebald are beautiful . I had the chance to shoot a small 6 in Barbour co Alabama years ago but decided to let him age another year or 2 in hopes we would cross paths again . He was never to be seen again . Not by me anyway

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
That must of been his favorite spot

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
That ol buck had skipped a year, nobody got his photo, believe some clear cutting had moved him. But, he came back that day. I had watched a big six chase a doe for awhile before they left. Heard what I thought was the six and doe coming back. It was the old 8 chasing the doe. Guess he ran the six off. Was I surprised to see him.

baddave

congrats on all those nice bucks mr. son . quite an accomplishment , especially consistency and especially that kind of success(it ain't luck at this point)back in the 50's and 60's -- question -- do you rattle a good bit???

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
congrats on all those nice bucks mr. son . quite an accomplishment , especially consistency and especially that kind of success(it ain't luck at this point)back in the 50's and 60's -- question -- do you rattle a good bit???
I do rattle starting around Thanksgiving. I don't over do it, tv rattling doesn't work well here.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I would be very interested in an in-depth lesson in your rattling technique. There's no doubt I'm doing it wrong.
I start out easy, no shock. Just want to get their attention. If nothing shows soon, I may click and rub the antlers a bit for about a minute. It's a must you must have a huge opening on the downwind side. Or they will circle and you'll never know they responded. I may rattle every 45 minutes or so, depends on how I feel about the area.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Another enjoyable thread Son. And those are some good sized deer.

Reactions: Son

mtclev5651

I start out easy, no shock. Just want to get their attention. If nothing shows soon, I may click and rub the antlers a bit for about a minute. It's a must you must have a huge opening on the downwind side. Or they will circle and you'll never know they responded. I may rattle every 45 minutes or so, depends on how I feel about the area.
Come help me scout up here in north ga haha

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
If an area has roads dividing the woods up into blocks of woods. It's easy to scout. Just drive the roads and see which blocks have the most activity. Especially during the rut, chasing sign will cross the roads. A trail is being used if fresh tracks go both directions. Tracks in one direction only means some went across once. No need putting scent in the woods if you don't need to just to scout. Best time to walk the woods and scout is after season. That's the best time to ogle rubs, scrapes and to figure out how they beat you. As a rule, they will do the same the next season.