A knot of rat snakes

HermanMerman

Last year I gave Samantha an education in snakes, the hard way. When it clamped down on the end of her nose and held on it wasn`t pleasant at all, but it ain`t supposed to be. Now she won`t even get close to one but will alert me when she finds one. Between home and the cabin we have every venomous types in the South and I don`t want to lose this dog.

View attachment 1224602

That seems like a good way to stop a bad habit before it starts. Friends that lived close to an old deer camp of mine in McRae lost a couple to rattlesnake bites… one dachshund and one Jack Russell. Those breeds don’t mix well with snakes.

Baroque Brass

We think our mix has Jack Russell in him, he misses nothing and isn’t scared of anything. That’s what worries me. He may instinctively know to keep his distance, but I don’t want to chance it. I don’t know how our Golden would react, she tends to come to the house when the other guy gets excited in a protective way.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
You can snake avoidance train a dog with a e-collar and a non-venomous snake.

basshappy

BANNED
I’ve seen a lot of firsts since moving to South Georgia, and this is another one. Never seen snakes mating. I guess love is in the air, even for snakes. View attachment 1224470View attachment 1224471

That appears more like two males vying for dominance than a male and female mating. Generally the female is more coiled up and the male puts his head over hers and wraps his tail around hers to push himself inside of her. That also typically doesn't happen stretched out and in the open. More often coiled and in cover.

HermanMerman

We think our mix has Jack Russell in him, he misses nothing and isn’t scared of anything. That’s what worries me. He may instinctively know to keep his distance, but I don’t want to chance it. I don’t know how our Golden would react, she tends to come to the house when the other guy gets excited in a protective way.

I’ve had three Jack Russells and all three would have wrestled a grizzly bear if they crossed one’s path.

Baroque Brass

That appears more like two males vying for dominance than a male and female mating. Generally the female is more coiled up and the male puts his head over hers and wraps his tail around hers to push himself inside of her. That also typically doesn't happen stretched out and in the open. More often coiled and in cover.
That pretty much describes how I found them. They started moving around when I got close enough for a picture. And one kept writhing on the other even when they were trying to move away.

Latest posts