A question about bullets.

shea900

What are the easiest bullets to push down the barrel?

Hillbilly stalker

The one that fits. Seriously...not being a smart alleck. If you will mic the inside of your barrel and go from there. Muzzle loaders have the sloppiest specs of any rifle...but the good news is there are so many different bullets or sabots out there, you will find one that fits perfect. The old Knight rifles had the best consistency from barrel to barrel, the older Spanish CVA’s were the worst. Pull up “ Chuck Hawks rifle page” there is a section for this exact topic. Its full of good info. A little reading will save you a ton of trouble and a pile of money.

Last edited:

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Whenever it’s real hard to push a bullet it is probably time to clean the barrel.
You may look into a cleaner burning powder to get more shots in between cleanings. The easiest bullet to push will be your first one after a cleaning.
Soap and water.
What are you using now?
And how often or well do you clean it in between shots?
I like pure soft lead tc maxi balls and also powerbelt aerotips.
If you use a patch and ball you can use a smaller patch to gain a shot or two.

But truth be told its probably a time for cleaning when it becomes too hard for comfort.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
T/C Maxi-hunters, IMO.

Buckman18

I have been shooting with TC Cheap Sabots the past couple years. Easy to load cheap to buy and do good on critters.

If I was a ML purist I'd make fun of the plastic bullets but I'm not so I dont.

280 Man

Banned
What are the easiest bullets to push down the barrel?

HS is right. Bore sizes can range from .499 up to .504-505 and that can cause a plethora of issues if trying to use bore sized projectiles!

If trying to use sabots you must remember that all sabots are not created equal. Some makes are more elastic than others and fit accordingly. You will find that just changing a sabot can either be the cats meow or the horses arse when it comes to ease of loading and accuracy.

Case in point. I have a CVA Optima V2 LR. I bought Harvester Crush Rib sabots to pair with my 44 and 45 cal 300gr XTP bullets. They shot awful. I changed the crush rib sabots to Harvester short black sabots with the 300 gr 45 cal XTP's and the green 44 cal sabots for the 300 gr 44 cal bullets. Accuracy is outstanding!

I can use either!

thumbnail.jpeg20190508_190047.jpg

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I hate sabots. I would never use one.

woods&water

The one that fits. Seriously...not being a smart alleck. If you will mic the inside of your barrel and go from there. Muzzle loaders have the sloppiest specs of any rifle...but the good news is there are so many different bullets or sabots out there, you will find one that fits perfect.

HS is right. Bore sizes can range from .499 up to .504-505 and that can cause a plethora of issues if trying to use bore sized projectiles!

If trying to use sabots you must remember that all sabots are not created equal. Some makes are more elastic than others and fit accordingly. You will find that just changing a sabot can either be the cats meow or the horses arse when it comes to ease of loading and accuracy.

View attachment 1030181View attachment 1030182
Shooting sabots and bullets is the same as round balls and patches. You find the combination that shoots good in your ML for the barrel dimensions and powder charge that you want to shoot. You don't have that option with bore sized projectiles especially if your barrel is over or under size. You can use a sabot that is beefed up for high velocities if you are shooting magnum loads or a standard one for lower velocity. And you have a LOT of bullet choices to choose from. Just like reloading for a centerfire rifle you have many choices to choose from. The proof is in the group size and velocity that you can achieve.
I experimented a lot with different combinations and ended up with a 250 gr hornady SST bullet at 2100FPS that shoots clover leaf groups at 100 yards and is death in a copper jacket on critters.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Ive shot Maxi-Hunters and they shot well in my Remington muzzeloader but I like the sabots and XTP bullets. Isn't it great to have choices.
Yes, it is. That's why they make chocolate and 'niller both. :) Personally, I didn't buy a .50 rifle to shoot .44 bullets, though. :)

Rabun

I have also found the maxi hunters 350 gr to be the best for my ML...shot to shot ease of loading, accuracy and pure thump given a long shot where I hunt is 50-70 yards. Best load for you may differ but this has been my experience.

shea900

All good advice that I will put to us shortly. Thanks

Rabun

I’ve like those too but when I ran out a couple years ago I couldn’t find them so I transitioned to the TC’s.

35 Whelen

I’ve like those too but when I ran out a couple years ago I couldn’t find them so I transitioned to the TC’s.

I just ordered some from Cabela's and some Triple 7 FFG, free shipping to the store!