Brims

TJay

I used the excuse to replace the canopy on my deer camp camper to do a little fishing. Our club has a 9 or 10 acre lake that is full of big ol' brim. First thing I noticed when I got down there are the cicadas are really putting up a fuss down there. What a racket! I got my canopy replaced went out Thursday afternoon and Friday morning. I think I was about a week early. Caught a bunch of bream but not quite as big as last year. Still nice keepers big enough to filet. I caught them all on jigs including eight or ten little bitty bass. I typically don't keep bass that small but the land manager has told us the lake is way overpopulated with small bass and if you don't want to keep them throw them on the bank. He's right too, it's pretty easy to catch a bunch of them 10" bass and they are the skinniest things you ever saw. Looks like they've been feeding on Ozempic.
Ya'll are probably thinking he's crazy to filet bream and you're right, but my wife loves bream tacos and now we have enough to satisfy that craving for a while. That is a gallon ziplock bag full of goodness!

Attachments

• IMG_3106.JPG
    IMG_3106.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 42

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
I used the excuse to replace the canopy on my deer camp camper to do a little fishing. Our club has a 9 or 10 acre lake that is full of big ol' brim. First thing I noticed when I got down there are the cicadas are really putting up a fuss down there. What a racket! I got my canopy replaced went out Thursday afternoon and Friday morning. I think I was about a week early. Caught a bunch of bream but not quite as big as last year. Still nice keepers big enough to filet. I caught them all on jigs including eight or ten little bitty bass. I typically don't keep bass that small but the land manager has told us the lake is way overpopulated with small bass and if you don't want to keep them throw them on the bank. He's right too, it's pretty easy to catch a bunch of them 10" bass and they are the skinniest things you ever saw. Looks like they've been feeding on Ozempic.
Ya'll are probably thinking he's crazy to filet bream and you're right, but my wife loves bream tacos and now we have enough to satisfy that craving for a while. That is a gallon ziplock bag full of goodness!
Yep, best thing for that pond sounds like is to fill your freezer up with them "stunted" bass.

Redbow

A very nice catch and some fine eating. If I catch a Bream big enough I fillet it. The smaller ones that we keep I fry whole. I got to get out there I hear the White Oak River calling me and the Wife its Bream and Shell Cracker time for sure.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Personally I’d rather have them whole if they’re normal sized,cut into halves or pieces if oversized. I’m of the opinion they lose flavor when filleted. Decades of tradition and use in that view.

TJay

Personally I’d rather have them whole if they’re normal sized,cut into halves or pieces if oversized. I’m of the opinion they lose flavor when filleted. Decades of tradition and use in that view
I like 'em that way too. If I catch a good mess I'll filet them as kind of a one time deal so we can have fish tacos. The rest of the time I'll do the traditional method.