A question for believers

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
How many members of those snake handling churches do you think are aware that the verses of Mark they are following are not original to the book but were added much later?

https://ehrmanblog.org/snake-handling-gospel-mark/
I personally know of no one that teaches and practices the handling snakes and I don't know of anyone that even knows anyone that does. One of the misconceptions that result from assuming and lumping all. It further demonstrates that you've not researched enough to validate your position in regard to Christianity to be assured that you know all about it. I can assure you that there's tons of Christians that don't buy into snakes, have never heard teaching to handle snakes and never have even saw it practiced.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
It is the opinion of the people who have done the research. They base their opinion off of the facts from the studies.
A complete study ??
I personally know of no one that teaches and practices the handling snakes and I don't know of anyone that even knows anyone that does. One of the misconceptions that result from assuming and lumping all. It further demonstrates that you've not researched enough to validate your position in regard to Christianity to be assured that you know all about it. I can assure you that there's tons of Christians that don't buy into snakes, have never heard teaching to handle snakes and never have even saw it practiced.

JB0704

I Gots Goats
I've seen snake handling on TV, and have read some about it. I haev never practiced it, attended a church which did, or known anybody who buys into it.

atlashunter

I personally know of no one that teaches and practices the handling snakes and I don't know of anyone that even knows anyone that does. One of the misconceptions that result from assuming and lumping all. It further demonstrates that you've not researched enough to validate your position in regard to Christianitybto be assured that you know all about it. I can assure you that there's tons of Christians that don't buy into snakes, have never heard teaching to handle snakes and never have even saw it practiced.

I didn't ask if you know any of them nor did I lump all christians into that group. In fact I singled them out and asked you a question which you have yet to answer.

oldfella1962

Parts of the Bible. Only the good parts.

One of my favorite parts is when some kids are making fun of a prophet (might be Elisha - not Elijah, but Elisha if memory serves) calling him bald & whatnot (kids can be so cruel!) :( so god has some bears attack the kids and rip them to shreds/devour them. :eek: That story should be reenacted at a church Christmas celebration or something.

Man, I'd hate to see what god would do if some kids wouldn't get off Elisha's lawn!

Artfuldodger

One thing I see is Christians explaining God's ways in a discussion but when it gets too deep they switch to saying "God's ways are not our ways."
It's like trying to explain God's ways but then saying "we don't exactly know God's ways. We know what God want's us to do yet we really don't know what God wants us to do.

We know God controls everything yet we have free will. God has already seen everything but we have the free will to change what God has already seen.
You can't put God in box. Yet the Bible tells us everything we need to know. Maybe that's the answer but most people add to it beyond what it says. Think Trinity vs Oneness or predestination vs free will.

Last edited:

atlashunter

One thing I see is Christians explaining God's ways in a discussion but when it gets too deep they switch to saying "God's ways are not our ways."
It's like trying to explain God's ways but then saying "we don't exactly know God's ways. We know what God want's us to do yet we really don't know what God wants us to do.

We know God controls everything yet we have free will. God has already seen everything but we have the free will to change what God has already seen.
You can't put God in box. Yet the Bible tells us everything we need to know. Maybe that's the but most people add to it beyond what it says. Think Trinity vs Oneness or predestination vs free will.

Like a house built on sand.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
A complete study ??

Did you read the one link griz660 posted?
And that was one of many that can be found with 3 minutes on the 'net.

So because you have never heard of christian snake handlers they do not exist?
That is rich coming from you.
Give the net another 2 mins, you can find some denominations and parishes that do handle those snakes.....on the advice of the bible.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
I didn't ask if you know any of them nor did I lump all christians into that group. In fact I singled them out and asked you a question which you have yet to answer.
I can't answer what I think they believe. If I had their same thought process and beliefs, I'd be handling snakes. But inside of that, your point is asking about scriptures not being original. Again, already heard the argument how many times??? Let this part sink in. I've proven what I believe. Although you may not have been involved in one of the many times, I've done it multiple times. Maybe some new beginner will come along and you have that debate with him. As for me, you got nothing I've not seen or heard many other times.
Did you read the one link griz660 posted?
And that was one of many that can be found with 3 minutes on the 'net.

So because you have never heard of christian snake handlers they do not exist?
That is rich coming from you.
Give the net another 2 mins, you can find some denominations and parishes that do handle those snakes.....on the advice of the bible.
If you search the net hard enough, you'll find former atheist admitting they were wrong about God. I personally know none of them either. When I say Ive never heard it, that means I've never in person. That's why I specifically said "Personally" with my comment. Yea I know they exist. Y'all like to "separate" yourselves among the non believers to be atheist, humanist, agnostic, etc. Somehow y'all don't comprehend that everything you call Christianity is not Christianity.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I can't answer what I think they believe. If I had their same thought process and beliefs, I'd be handling snakes. But inside of that, your point is asking about scriptures not being original. Again, already heard the argument how many times??? Let this part sink in. I've proven what I believe. Although you may not have been involved in one of the many times, I've done it multiple times. Maybe some new beginner will come along and you have that debate with him. As for me, you got nothing I've not seen or heard many other times.

If you search the net hard enough, you'll find former atheist admitting they were wrong about God. I personally know none of them either. When I say Ive never heard it, that means I've never in person. That's why I specifically said "Personally" with my comment. Yea I know they exist. Y'all like to "separate" yourselves among the non believers to be atheist, humanist, agnostic, etc. Somehow y'all don't comprehend that everything you call Christianity is not Christianity.

Would you take the time to explain what exactly Christianity is and who follows it the best?

atlashunter

Not asking you to read minds. Asking how many of them you think would know about the information I posted. I suspect it's a very low percentage in the single digits. Yet that passage in Mark is an important part of their religious rituals which takes us back to the original point; Christians aren't as informed about their religion as they would have others believe so they should exercise caution telling others they don't understand because they haven't done their research. Maybe they should consider the very real possibility that their religion is just as fallible as the men who created it.

ambush80

I think if you believe in God you have to assume he is incomprehensible. For instance, we believe he created life. We recognize science, and how life works, but how amazing a being must be that made it all happen? The "will of God," on the other hand, is a different matter. We think we have a blueprint as it relates to us, not him.

If one claims "there is a thing that is incomprehensible" they have already started comprehending it by saying its a "thing" and that it "is". I would agree that if a being were the cause of all of that it would be amazing by every definition of the word amazing. If there were many of them capable of such feats then maybe that's not so amazing.

Is the blue print the Bible?

ambush80

Not asking you to read minds. Asking how many of them you think would know about the information I posted. I suspect it's a very low percentage in the single digits. Yet that passage in Mark is an important part of their religious rituals which takes us back to the original point; Christians aren't as informed about their religion as they would have others believe so they should exercise caution telling others they don't understand because they haven't done their research. Maybe they should consider the very real possibility that their religion is just as fallible as the men who created it.

Good post.

ambush80

So when a believer speaks about God does he/she know anything about what he/she is talking about? How much and which parts?

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Would you take the time to explain what exactly Christianity is and who follows it the best?
I will start with "Christ-like" I think we established that the root word for Christianity is Christian? Based on that, do you think all religions are Christianity? It was mentioned that snake handlers were just one group.

ok I misread your post. Im absolutely sure there's plenty that are misinformed and hadn't proven what they believe. They just believe what their parents believed just because......But that's in every group, believer and non believer. It's called indoctrination.

atlashunter

ok I misread your post. Im absolutely sure there's plenty that are misinformed and hadn't proven what they believe. They just believe what their parents believed just because......

Because... that is what they read in the KJV and they read it under the assumption they were reading an inerrant book. It's those who dare question the infallibility of the Bible who dig deeper and ask the questions who learn the most about the book, it's history, origin and context.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I will start with "Christ-like" I think we established that the root word for Christianity is Christian? Based on that, do you think all religions are Christianity? It was mentioned that snake handlers were just one group.

Do I think ALL religions are Christianity?
No. That is absurd

But as of 2001 there were 33,830 denominations within Christianity.

Now NONE of them ever new Christ so all that there is available are the writings of men who also never knew Christ. Those writers at the very least embellished previous oral tradition and more than likely invented the divinity and religion. They made a character out of a man.

So how do you really know what Christ was like?
You are basing your version off of very suspect writers.

ambush80

ok I misread your post. Im absolutely sure there's plenty that are misinformed and hadn't proven what they believe. They just believe what their parents believed just because......But that's in every group, believer and non believer. It's called indoctrination.

If I were to try to be Christ like, how should I emulate Christ turning over tables and chasing people with a whip? When should I do that?

atlashunter

Do I think ALL religions are Christianity?
No. That is absurd

But as of 2001 there were 33,830 denominations within Christianity.

Now NONE of them ever new Christ so all that there is available are the writings of men who also never knew Christ. Those writers at the very least embellished previous oral tradition and more than likely invented the divinity and religion. They made a character out of a man.

So how do you really know what Christ was like?
You are basing your version off of very suspect writers.

I think it's reasonable to say "according to the scriptures". If we say someone is Socratic that has meaning even if the stories about Socrates are fiction.