Acadamy sports Cartersville GA

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
My wife has been asking me for a new pistol, so she and I went to Acadamy sports in Cartersville this morning. She wanted a smaller gun than the 9mm she currently has.
The first dude that helped us was not impressively knowledgeable about firearms but made up for it by outstanding customer service! When we settled on a gun my wife spoke up and ask if she could register the gun in her name... Sure! Only thing is she doesn't have a carry permit (yet) so we had to do the background check! Here is where it got fun.... So, she had left her glasses at home and was struggling with reading all the questions so turned and ask me to read one of the questions... As soon as I read the question back to my wife, some dude starts yelling at me to stop helping her! He proceeded to tell me I was committing a Federal crime and that he was about to have me banned from Academy stores!! At first I thought he was kidding but quickly realized he wasn't! I tried to keep my cool with this dude but couldn't do that completely! I never used foul language but I did make sure to get louder than he was ... And told him I would gladly take my business elsewhere! A manager showed up seconds later and quickly resolved the issue.
I'm not sure if that guy was correct or not about the law! But I am 100% sure his angle of getting out the message was wrong!!

Reactions: Dub

treemanjohn

Banned
To expand on that an illiterate person can purchase a firearm and have assistance reading the questions as well. As a precaution it would be a good idea to have someone sign it as a witness as well

NOYDB

BANNED
But all the clerk needs is to have a Barney Fife witness his selling the gun to someone that supposedly was getting help. It's not the clerks fault the laws are the way they are , he like us all, just has to deal with the results of incredibly, massively stupid people making the laws.

js415

It should be mentioned that by filling out the 4473, she was only "proving" her ability to purchase and own a firearm.

These is no such thing as "registration" in Georgia. I'm sure you know that, and so does everybody else, but for those not knowledgeable in the law, I thought it was worth mentioning.

Congrats on a new pistol.

Jerry

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
I ran into the same Issue at Uncle Lees up here. I had left my glasses in the truck and my wife was reading the questions to me. The clerk was very nice, but told us that she could not do that. I went and got my glasses.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
That's why all my gun purchases are private sales. No muss, no fuss, no clerk and jerks, no 4473.