.380 effectivness

Robert28

This guy, who was found to have no drugs in his system, took 12 rounds, center mass, at point blank. In the pic shown, he was 8 rounds in. Whatever Caliber the Maryland Montgomery Co sheriff's Deputies use didn't impress that particular guy. (Last year I read it was 45acp, but I can't find an article with specifics now) But, for every instance like this there is another video that shows a one shot drop with whatever the shooter happens to be is using.
View attachment 1302591
If center mass won’t drop him, I’m aiming for the head if he’s that close.

SC Hunter

@Hillbilly stalker that picture is amazing! He didn't have any lungs left, major vessels had to be shredded and he had to be spewing blood.

There is a guy that works for us that is a Ranger and deployed 6 or 7 times, been shot 2 times and taught Ranger School. We were having a conversation similar to this one and he said point blank "I shot alot of bad guys and green tips are trash. 77 grain 5.56 is the best thing we had and even then it would take several to put somebody down fast" that's real world experience speaking and makes you realize people are tougher than we think.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
If center mass won’t drop him, I’m aiming for the head if he’s that close.
I agree that is a good plan B.

I know what I would do when I am not actually in a situation, it probably differs than what I would actually do when in the situation.

sbroadwell

The LC9S doesn't have the horrible trigger.
Yeah, I considered getting one of those but heard so much about the P365 that I went with it. Since I was getting it basically free it was no more money.
I keep a 15 round magazine in my car and stick it in my pocket if I ever worry about the 13 in the gun not being enough.
The LC9S doesn't have the horrible trigger.

leroy

@Hillbilly stalker that picture is amazing! He didn't have any lungs left, major vessels had to be shredded and he had to be spewing blood.

There is a guy that works for us that is a Ranger and deployed 6 or 7 times, been shot 2 times and taught Ranger School. We were having a conversation similar to this one and he said point blank "I shot alot of bad guys and green tips are trash. 77 grain 5.56 is the best thing we had and even then it would take several to put somebody down fast" that's real world experience speaking and makes you realize people are tougher than we think.
Navy seal chad wright says a pistol is just to keep u in the fight to get you to your rifle.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Just remember...
Handgun rounds only slightly wound the good guys but take bad guys off of their feet and make them deader than a door nail before they hit the ground.

Long Cut

9mm with GOOD shot placement and QUALITY bullets typically has the most lethal outcomes, in my experience.

FMJ’s just pencil through with no real damage. A person could get lucky/unlucky, it’s a dice roll.

A 12gauge with slugs/buckshot is truly the ONLY 1-shot-drop weapon platform with any real consistency

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Back when I was a teen a neighbor with drinking problem would come home and physically abuse his wife and daughter. This is a skinny fellow, the women were big, tall gals 250 to 300 lbs. While in an argument he grabbed a .22 rifle, shot both of them a half a dozen times. Mom got to a butcher knife and sliced him up bad. He was much closer to death when they wheeled them all out on gurneys. They all lived and he went to prison.

transfixer

I've heard real life stories like that many times, and is the main reason I am not a 5.56 fanboy ! I own one 5.56 AR, the rest I have are 7.62x39 or .300bo

transfixer

Back when I was a teen a neighbor with drinking problem would come home and physically abuse his wife and daughter. This is a skinny fellow, the women were big, tall gals 250 to 300 lbs. While in an argument he grabbed a .22 rifle, shot both of them a half a dozen times. Mom got to a butcher knife and sliced him up bad. He was much closer to death when they wheeled them all out on gurneys. They all lived and he went to prison.

A good sharp knife can do a LOT more damage than a bullet can, if you're close enough and willing to use it !

SC Hunter

I've heard real life stories like that many times, and is the main reason I am not a 5.56 fanboy ! I own one 5.56 AR, the rest I have are 7.62x39 or .300bo
I've got more hollow points and soft point 223 ammo than anything else. A 223 pointed sift points makes a mess of a deer I can't imagine a human taking many of those. A 7.62x39 ar would be fun though!

Robert28

Same here. I own 2 AR’s (built one just because I wanted to try my hand at it and see what I could build for under $1000) and the other is just an M&P15 sport 2 bone stock. I shoot hunting rifles and shotguns WAY more though.

transfixer

I've got more hollow points and soft point 223 ammo than anything else. A 223 pointed sift points makes a mess of a deer I can't imagine a human taking many of those. A 7.62x39 ar would be fun though!

.223 and 5.56 are great varmint rounds with the right ammo, and with the right ammo can be a good deer round with the right shot placement, my favorite deer round isn't much bigger or faster, a .243 using my own loads of 85 or 87gr bthp's running a bit over 3000fps, but even with it, shot placement is critical, i always aim to take out the spine, just above and behind the shoulder, no tracking needed, they don't take another step

back to the original discussion, the right ammo is critical with a .380 as it is with most calibers, 9mm is a step better, but even it is generally lacking with most ammo, the FBI and law enforcement didn't go back to 9mm because of its effectiveness, they went back because of cost, ammo is significantly cheaper for 9mm than .40 s&w, and its easier to shoot accurately for those who don't practice a lot, (which is about 90% of anyone is LE ) so even the 9mm is a compromise for those who depend on handguns daily in their work .

.380 is simply a compromise for those situations where a bigger gun would be harder to conceal or be less comfortable in some situations

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
In gel, the various 9mm, 40 and 45 hollow point rounds all penetrate about the same distance(s). 12in-16in+ depending upon the weight and speed. Each cartridge had good, better, and best results. For the most part, the ammunition marketed as "Law Enforcement" and "Premium Self-defense" were in the Best category due to having 150%+ expansion and 14"+ penetration.
The best offerings in .380 HP ammo show 12"- 14" of expansion and penetration in gel which does meet the FBI standards.
The best thing to do is research the various offerings and buy according to your personal wants/needs for self defense rounds.

Dub

Today's carry gat.

Champion of Three World Wars.......... :bounce:

IMG_3671.jpegIMG_3674.jpegIMG_3679.jpegIMG_3680.jpegIMG_3684.jpeg

I subscribe to the thought sometimes hardware should be comforting vs comfortable.

Don't get me wrong.....there are certainly times when I'll go smaller & lighter.
Today, however, isn't one of those days.

I have somewhere to go and I'd rather have a full grown .45.

frankwright

I carry a Ruger LCP Max, with extended magazine, in my pocket when I am home always.
I hardly know it is there and I can cut grass, change oil, do whatever I need to do that I couldn't with a holstered gun.
When I leave home I carry at least a 9mm.
My Max has been 100% reliable with everything I put through it. It is not a fun gun to shoot but every few months I take it to the range and set up 2-3 IDPA targets. I stand close, draw from my pocket and shoot the targets as I am backing up. I try to make it realistic by moving the targets around like two up close and another off to the side.
I fire two to the chest area and I act as if they are still coming so I start shooting for the bridge of the nose.
It is not the biggest caliber but it will deter most people and that is what I try to consider.

Any gun is better than no gun for sure.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I have zero concerns when carrying an LCP MAX with Sig 90gr V-Crown ammo during the warm weather months where concealability and light clothing are concerned.