Wilson Shoals WMA multi projectile rules. (Shotgun) and other general WMA range change observations

bighonkinjeep

Went to Wilson Shoals yesterday. I had several rifles I had scope swapped and a couple of new shotguns to shake down for function and bugs.
I wanted to break em in a little and see what kind of shells they'd run with etc.
When I got there the range officer told me I was.limited to 5 shells.
For some reason I was.thinking he was takling about "in the magazine" and was thinking to myself thats silly, as AR standard capacity is 30 and most modern defensive style handguns are 15 or more.
Nope, He was talking about 5 SHELLS PERIOD! and youre done shooting!

Apparently there is a rule that multiple.projectile firearms can only fire 5 rounds to check pattern or function.
I was thinking from the git go that I didnt want to tear up their target stands and only wanted to use the berm but apparently 5 shots is 5 shots.
So much for testing and finding out which loads your shotgun likes or doesn't like , if its really fixed after repairs, training your wife and.kids on safety and function or any of a dozen other reasons you might want to/ or have to run a box of shells through a shotgun at a firing range.

I wonder if it has something to do with a sign near the entrance about a " Federal Grant" or if it's just so called "environmentalists" flexing their liberal whims over under the guise of "lead contamination" to get their pound of flesh from sportsmen. (the true conservationists)

All I can say is I was really impressed when they first started range improvements several years ago. Range officers, safety lights and gated acess, new benches and rests, partitions to stop ejected brass from raining down on shooters, Sound deadening ceilings and floors etc..

Now they are going way too far and restricting the usefulness and utility of these ranges for those who take the shooting sports anywhere beyond the level of basic casual plinking.
It apoears to me that those who have used these ranges for decades and take shooting as a serious hobby are being pushed out of the public ranges their sporting licenses paid for.

In addition I wonder if those making the "decisions" setting the rules and spending the money are shooters or just pencil pushers that may not have enough understanding of the shooting sports and how the ranges are used for much more than plinking or checking to make sure a rifle is minute of deer once a year.

Do you guys have any thoughts or observations on the way DNR is handling public ranges?

Last edited:

Robust Redhorse

It's all about the mess that shotshells make on the range. Target backers and frame destruction, wads, etc.

The employees have to clean it all up.

I know.

I used to work there.

rosewood

There is nothing "new" about the shotgun rule.

It has been in place for at least 10 years.
So, does the 5 shot rule only apply to shotguns? You can still shoot other guns to your hearts content?

Rosewood

natureman

They need to add a dedicated shotgun range. I was told that the 5 shot rule was to keep their target mounts from being depleted. Otherwise I am happy with the Willson Shoals range.

bighonkinjeep

I let them know before I started that I just wanted to shoot into the berm for function testing.

I wasnt shooting at a target except with slugs as I knew beforehand that it would destroy the target stand. Heck 5 rounds in itself at a target stand would probaby be more than enough destroy it.
Thats a no brainer.

Still limited to 5 rounds of "multi projectile" ammo.
Slugs were no problem and I'm glad I took as many as I did.
Cleaned up my hulls and would have picked up wads too if that was the issue but slugs have wads too and that wasnt mentioned.
I was the only shooter on the 25 yard side.

I have no problem with the ROs. Glad they're there. They are always really helpful and do a great job.

I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around a rule I dont understand that doesnt seem to have an amneable solution for everybody.

Gotta be more to it than target stands because thats a simple fix if you arent shooting with one..

bighonkinjeep

Yes, it only applies to shotguns.

I believe that you can go to one of DNR's shotgun ranges, like Clybel, and blast away!
I have shot trap and skeet there in the past but dont recall.

Is their a static range for patterning buckshot, turkey loads etc?

If I remember right it was birdshot only and there was a rule against buckshot on the Clybel shotgun range possibly because of liability.
Think it was in place to prevent it from inadvertently being fired up in the air at clays and such because it carries further and they didnt want the big stuff raining down out of the sky for obvious reasons.

rosewood

Well, you know how government is. They have a rule, and you have to follow that rule regardless of the spirit of the rule. Letter of the law.

I mean, no proponent can explain why short barrel rifle is even a thing. They argue it makes you more accurate. Duh, would you prefer us to be less accurate? LOL

Rosewood

bighonkinjeep

Yep,
I called the Range at Clybel/Charlie Elliot
NO BUCKSHOT
This includes the shotgun range ( trap and skeet) side as well as the 25 and 100 yard ranges.
I was told that they didnt think Buckshot was allowed at ANY of the State shooting ranges.

I guess "It is what it is" whether we understand it or not.

Last edited: