Action Screw into Round Receiver

GunnSmokeer

The current issue of Guns & Ammo magazine has an article about a CZ rifle that uses a flat-bottomed receiver. The author of the article says this is far superior to the famous Remington 700 action which has the inherent defect of being a round receiver at the point the bolt attaching the stock engages it.

This gunwriter claims that this means the main action screw will work loose in a very short time.
(I assume he is thinking that there is going to be insufficient thread engagement due to the rounded underside surface of the gun's receiver, but he doesn't say that. Never does he count how many turns of thread engagement there is on a Remington 700, nor on this CZ 600 the article is about.

What do y'all think?

I think it's a ridiculous notion, and I say the only issue to consider is how many turns of thread engagement the bolt makes into the threaded hole!

If it makes 2, that is weak.

If the action screw makes five turns, that's good.

But I don't think whether the surface is round or flat is the real issue.

Skeeter XRi

Sounds like a gun writer, creatively envisioning reasons why "this is the latest, greatest, and bestest" thing ever.

I've had a few of those "junky" round bottom receivered things and can't believe I've never had a screw work loose (in a rifle, my wife says I've had a personal screw loose for years...).

YMMV,
jim

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I agree with @GunnSmokeer and would add that the thread type of the screws might also be a greater factor than the shape of the bottom of the receiver.

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
I think CZ is grasping at straws to make the 600 line--which replaced the stellar 550 and 527 lines, among others--seem like a success. With the suspension of the DIY-barrel-change feature, CZ has lost what was the most attractive feature of the 600 line.

As for the writer's claim, it's absurd as he has written it. The only think I can think is that it might make some difference with how the action pillars mate to the bottom of the receiver... Obviously, a flat surface (i.e., the pillars) is going to mate better to another flat surface, but I don't know the mechanics well enough to guess if that matters or if it would somehow knock the threads loose. Maybe someone with a technical background told him something like this and he just completely botched the delivery?

Last edited:

bullgator

I love CZ products, but this sounds like it’s a manufacturer’s marketing tool that Beckstrand just ran with to fill space. Even if it is inherently better, it can’t be by enough to make a difference in 98% of applications.

bighonkinjeep

Horsefeathers. Though I suspect they may be good rifles in their own right, I'm sure I could make a solid case as to why .the Savage 110 is of superior design and engineering to either without much effort.

jglenn

Rem 700 bad..... yeah right. That's why it is the most polular action to customize and copy in the industry.. writer needs to stop drinking...