After string silencers, what's next.............

Al33

to quieten a bow? What have you tried that worked?

I'm thinking of going back to dacron strings just to make my bows more quiet. My new Black Feather seems a little loud to me and I have adjusted the beaver fur silencers trying two different locations on the string. This last one is with them located one third of the string length from the loops based on a suggestion by Dennis. It helped but I am still not satisfied. Same goes for the Chek-Mate. I'm not shooting light weight arrows either. Maybe I expect too much.:huh:

PAPALAPIN

AL
If you haven't already, try a set of brush buttons. They will eliminate any string slap, and help reduce string viabration. Also keep leaves and twigs from getting caught between your string and bow.

What kind of noise are you getting; twang, swoosh, buzz, slap, What? Makes a difference in how to quiten it.

OconeeDan

I use Bow Hush and Hushpuppies that Terry Green sells, and my recurve is very quiet.
But with my hearing, everything is quiet!

PAPALAPIN

Yeah Dan, but you are deef

reviveourhomes

Bow hush or Mnt Muffler string. Theyr really do work!

Personally I have yet to find a bow that I have tried b-50 and TS-1 where B-50 was queiter and I have tried every bow I have had since I started making strings. Plus the dern handshock increases a hundredfold with B-50.

Some people say they have had bows that just shot better with B-50, I dont know if they were using TS-1 as a alternative or another FF material but I have yet to shoot a bow where B-50 won in noise or smoothness.

Dennis

AL have you tryed to raise the brace heigh a little some times that will help take out some noise

WildmanSC

TS-1+ String

Al,

I put a TS-1+ string on my Black Feather and the bow was quiet before I put silencers on the string. I've found TS-1+ and 450+ to be very quiet strings. TS-1+ is a bit better in ther performance department, so I use that material.

Bill

Slasher

on recurves

I hear that those felt pads (adhesive ) that stick onto furntiure to not scratch your floors work well.. didn't like the look of that, so I used 3in strips of seal skin left over from my arrow rest in the string grooves by the limb tips... it werked!!! :banana:

I am sure anything that will pad it would work... and I use old style rubber cat whiskers...

Apex Predator

I bought some really heavy wool yarn from the craft store. It works beautifully for puff ball type silencers and for serving the ends of the braids on a flemish string. I use 12 1.5 inch pieces for each puff and double wrap the ends just longer than the expected string slap area on my recurves. I built two blocks from a pine 2X4 with large nails standing up. I clamp one in my vice and attach the other with a c-clamp to my work bench. With a little practice I was able to hold the second block at an angle on the bench, with string on the nails, and hold everything in place while tightening the c-clamp. It will draw the string tight enough to serve the ends with the yarn. Clear as mud? I could mail you enough to do several strings. I bought enough to last me a life time for about $4.

Al33

Some great ideas folks!!! Some I knew about but had not recalled and others I had not.

Thanks!!!

ccbunn

I think I've tried it all, and two things work best for me.
1. Bow Hush and Hush Puppys work really well. Even on a longbow where the string does not slap, the Bow Hush still helps quieten things down considerably.

2. Mountain Muffler string. A little pricey, but by far the quietest set up you will find, and you can order it with whatever string material you want. Well worth the price in my opinion. I just happen to have one waiting here for the Supermag I'm getting from Jack.

ed'sboy

How much will the brush buttons affect the speed?

ccbunn

Any addition to the string will affect performance, but you will not be able to detect the slight difference made by adding brush buttons. I would guess less than 1 fps. Maybe some of the more seasoned shooters can give a more accurate answer.

ChrisSpikes

Al,
The single most effective thing I have found to quieten a recurve is to install a set of limbsavers out on the limbs at the point where you get string slap. If you will slide them out the limb until they contact the string, then go about another 1/16" to 1/8" so they have good contact at brace, they will be most effective.

I have tried the brush buttons before, but if anything it seemed to make my bow louder. I think with the brush buttons, instead of getting the sound of the string slapping against the limb, now you get the sound of rubber slapping against the limb. With the limb savers, you have the string against rubber which , for me, seems quietest.

I just got the idea for this a couple months ago. A friend of mine bought a new compound with the string suppressors and when I saw it, the light bulb came on.

I am using the traditional limbsavers, but I think they make an accessory saver that is smaller and should be just as effective. I know the extra mass out on the working part of the limb is supposed to hamper performance, but I haven't noticed any. I haven't shot it through a chronograph, but it there isn't an appreciable difference in trajectory, I don't worry about it.

robert carter

My old jeffery sportd b50 and is super quiet. It had handshock till I played with the brace hieght and it went away. I tune my bows without silencers by setting the brace as low as recommended and twisting it up a few times inbetween shots. you`ll find a sweet spot like this that you would not notice with the slencers on. After you find it then put on the silencers and you got a qiuet bow.RC

chinquapin

Al,
My game master twanged when I got it and was loud with the FF string. I put the dacron string on it definately helped. Then limbsavers and the beaver fur string silencers and it's quiet now. don't put felt at the tips of you r bow where the string hits it made mine louder.
Anyways that's what worked for me.
Ben

reviveourhomes

If it was FF thats why it was loud, TS-1 or 450+ is a MUCH quieter from of modern string material. Plus TS-1 and 450+ are faster.

I usually set my brace height as low as possible (Usually 7") on most of my bows so that I can get a little more speed so I am always tring to find the quietest string silencers and strings.

And as far as silencers, beaver fur looks cool but is probably the most ineffeicent silencer there is. Rubber whiskers or string leeches work really well. Thehush puppies is a REALLY dense form of wool yarn and it works GREAT! I have tried to get normal wool yarn (A bunch of different types) and they dont compare to hush puppies.

And as far as the limb savers, they do work good but its best to put them as low down on the limbs close to the fade out as possible. They rob ALOT of speed if you put them near the tips cause you are adding alot of weight to them. Next time you get a chance run your bow through a chrono and you will see about a 10fps difference. Now I know speed isnt everything, but I put a little more emphasis on it cause of my short 26" draw and I only shoot 50# so I eek out as much as I can get.

Thats what I have come to figure out for ME...this is just MY opinion and MY .02! LOL

Al33

OK, the strings that came with my new Black Feather are regular FF strings. Where do I get strings that are made with the TS-1 or 450+ material?

I ordered the Bow Hush and two sets of Hush Puppies today.