Air Compressor for Tractor tires

BriarPatch99

It doesn't matter if the stem is at the bottom, top or side....if your compressor and tank has more pressure than the tire has ... it will go in. How much volume your tank has determines how fast the tire will inflate...

Been around tractors and tractor tires all my life...
We got 12.4 - 24" front tire that has a slow leak(that was supposed to be fixed a month ago)...have to pump that tire up often...

DannyW

Never owned a tractor, but used one a few times helping a friend plant food plots.

So here goes my dumb question...how do you get water in a tire?

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Never owned a tractor, but used one a few times helping a friend plant food plots.

So here goes my dumb question...how do you get water in a tire?
You go to rural auto parts store and buy you a little device for just that purpose. It has a two ended valve body , one accepts male water hose end, the other screws on tire valve stem after you take the core out and let all the air out. Jack up the axle to take the weight off the tire. If you don’t when you let the air out your tire may come off the bead. Turn the tire until the valve is at the top. The little fill device has a thumb button to let the air out of the tire as you fill it with water, keep water going in as long as it will take it. Once it’s full of water quickly screw the valve core back in. Adjust air pressure as needed. That’s the way I do it.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
You go to rural auto parts store and buy you a little device for just that purpose. It has a two ended valve body , one accepts male water hose end, the other screws on tire valve stem after you take the core out and let all the air out. Jack up the axle to take the weight off the tire. If you don’t when you let the air out your tire may come off the bead. Turn the tire until the valve is at the top. The little fill device has a thumb button to let the air out of the tire as you fill it with water, keep water going in as long as it will take it. Once it’s full of water quickly screw the valve core back in. Adjust air pressure as needed. That’s the way I do it.
And if you want (you need to) put antifreeze in the tire, the easiest way is to make sure the garden hose is empty, have someone or something hold up the male end, and fill the hose with a couple of gallons of antifreeze, hook it up to the tire, then kink off the hose so none can run back in the spigot. Turn on your water, and the antifreeze will go right into the tire. A couple of gallons is for the rears, the fronts don't take that much, but I usually put in at least a gallon. And use the green stuff... not the red or orange, and make sure you are using the concentrate, not the premixed stuff

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
Just had a guy come out with a truck with a big air compressor on it. He said my tires are supposed to have 35# of air in them, and they only had 10#. He said the air evaporates out of the tires about 2-3# per month if it sits.

What kinda compressor did he have?

trial&error

It's a question of volume. The small compressor will take a long time to move that volume of air. It's great for nail guns and other low volume tools.

flyrod444

It might be the air valve not working proper on tractor tire. If it doesn’t open up when air chuck is placed on it no air is going into the tire no matter how much pressure the compressor puts out. If tires have water in them the valve can get corroded over time. You can simply push the valve button with something to let a little air out of the tire to check this. Some cheap air chucks don’t work on some valve stems because they don’t depress the button down on valve seem. As said earlier tractor tires don’t take much pressure just volume.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
It might be the air valve not working proper on tractor tire. If it doesn’t open up when air chuck is placed on it no air is going into the tire no matter how much pressure the compressor puts out. If tires have water in them the valve can get corroded over time. You can simply push the valve button with something to let a little air out of the tire to check this. Some cheap air chucks don’t work on some valve stems because they don’t depress the button down on valve seem. As said earlier tractor tires don’t take much pressure just volume.
Yes

basstrkr

My tractor tires will not take air from my pancake compressor. Need suggestions for a compressor that is up to the task
The rear tires on my trator are that size. I have a small tankless 110 Volt (chorded) Sears compressor the I use every week to the reinflate the left rear tire. Takes >5 minutes. Been using same compressor for 10 years.
PS: I have a clamp on chuck which attaches to the tire stem. If the chuck is not seated properly or if there is dirt in the valve stem the compressor discharge pressure maxes out and I know to check seat / clear blockage.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
This has never let me down. I’ve used it on rear tires for my tractor.

Edited: I assumed you were talking portable. I have a 60 gallon 3 hp in my barn. I use the portable a lot, though. Especially when hunting and plowing food plots.,

IMG_5835.jpeg

Last edited:

660griz

Just to reiterate what some have said, just about any compressor will work. Tractor tires are low pressure. The only difference you will see is with the time it takes to inflate. I have a cordless and a 6 gallon compressor. Both work on the tractor tires. If the rear tire on my tractor is totally flat, I would not use my cordless cause I haven't got that kind of time. :)

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
We have a big compressor on the farm. Probably the same size as @Spotlite has. We probably got them from the same person lol