Another New Toy

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
This is a Plains Indian style lance I just finished up. It has a 6 foot hardwood shaft with an 8 inch zebraskin obsidian point. It is decorated with buffalo hair and wrapped wild turkey wing feathers and the shaft is wrapped with deerskin.

Attachments

• MVC-023F.JPG
    MVC-023F.JPG
    125.7 KB · Views: 586

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Another view.

Attachments

• MVC-024F.JPG
    MVC-024F.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 592

GeauxLSU

nicodemus said:
This is a Plains Indian style lance I just finished up. It has a 6 foot hardwood shaft with an 8 inch zebraskin obsidian point. It is decorated with buffalo hair and wrapped wild turkey wing feathers and the shaft is wrapped with deerskin.
Legal weapon for deer in Alabama.
VERY cool. :cool: :clap:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
And one more.

Attachments

• MVC-026F.JPG
    MVC-026F.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 587

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
GeauxLSU said:
Legal weapon for deer in Alabama.
VERY cool. :cool: :clap:

With about 14 inches of razor edged cuttin` surface on it, I wouldn`t be to worried about tacklin` one with it! :D

Handgunner

Sweeeeeet! Nice lookin' work, Nick!

Branchminnow

GONetwork Senator Area 51
looks good to me!

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Thanks ya`ll, shame it ain`t mine anymore.:cry:

Handgunner

:cry: with Nick..

Just a rock man, just a rock... ::ke: :D

dutchman

Very nice, Nick.

I have a question. These Scouts I hang around with are all in the early stages of their Scouting careers, but they'll stay with it and become First Class Scouts and an Order of the Arrow election is lying out there in the future.

My question is, is it true that you can't use any feathers from protected birds to decorate items such as your lance, even though you've picked them up from off of the ground? I've heard that you must be very careful in how you decorate stuff like that. Lucky for me, turkey feathers aren't too difficult to come by.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Awsome Nicodemus, Great look'n piece of work.:cool:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Dutch, that is correct. You have to be very careful with feathers and some animal parts. They will be OK usin` wild turkey feathers. You cannot have feathers from any protected bird, includin` songbirds in your possesion. That means if you find a hawk, owl, or eagle dead on the ground, you cannot get the feathers off if it. There are stiff fines and prison sentences if you are caught with them.
The feathers you see Indians wearin` at festivals are issued to them from the feather bank in Washington DC and are inscribed with a serial number and a title of registration. Only card carryin` registered Indians are issued the feathers.

dutchman

Songbirds, too. Wow. Thanks for the information, Nick. It will be valuable in the near future, I'm sure.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Dutch, the feathers off wild ducks and geese can be used as too. Goose feathers work really well, as good as wild turkey feathers. Use the tail feathers for Southeastern style two fletch, and primary wing feathers for Plains style three fletch arrows.

Some of these laws are hard to understand and vary from state to state on some animal parts, so it is wise to check if there`s any doubt. I will say though, juvenile golden eagle tail feathers and some species of hawk feathers are beautiful beyond belief.

slightly grayling

Very nice....Do you ever attend trade shows? I would love to watch you work a piece of flint sometime.
-SG

Nugefan

as always Nick that is awesome .....

bam_bam

hey nick- that is a nice piece. was you at the plains artifact show?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Slightly Grayling, I demonstrate at a few Indian festivals, in addition to school and civic functions. And I`ll be playin` some at the Spring Fling.

Bam Bam, yes , I was at the Plains show last week. Were you there also?