First turkey for an old man

basshappy

BANNED
My boy and I have been turkey hunting 6 times this season and all six times we came up empty. We saw plenty of wildlife from our blind, including many hens and one Tom (no shot) so we have enjoyed our time in the woods. Last night I asked him how he felt if he got picked up and taken to school and I went hunting. I reminded him I was 100% okay with his true feelings - I could wait until he could go again and totally fine with that. He said he wanted me to go hunting and enjoy the time in the woods.

So this morning we said our see ya laters and he hugged me with a smile and he said he knew I was going to get a tom. A friend drove my boy to school and I headed to our property. I slipped into our blind around 7:30 AM and it wasn't long before our kryptonite hen came in on my box call. Grrr ...

An hour passes and she is still putzing about. Walking away, returning, leaving, returning on my next call. So around 10 AM I decide I am done, check the cameras, play with the fish, etc. I return to our blind and decided I might as well stay put for the last 45 minutes I have before I need to get on the road. Literally within a few minutes I hear stuff happening across the pond. Leaves are getting moved about. Normally I will hear a turkey call but I heard nothing so I wondered what it was.

As I lay on the blind a turkey flies across our pond to my side, and then a second, and then a third and a fourth. Crap! I had laid my Shotgun down, removed my head wrap, laid on my side, totally unprepared. And I watch as 4 toms come up the hill toward my position. I am trying to move so slowly as I cover up my face and try to bring the Shotgun to me. The birds are 20 feet from me raking through the litter for insects. I decide I cannot sit upright let alone bring a leg under me for support, so if I have an ethical shot I am taking it half lying on my side in a crunch position!

There are 2 toms with 6 inch beards and 1 Jake with a short beard, and then the big guy with much longer beard. I want him and now I am trying to sight him without making any perceivable movements. Every time a turkey stopped and stood erect upright looking in my direction I froze. I started thinking "take any bird man, don't need the big guy, take the shot on any one". I figured it was a matter of time before they flew off back across our pond. My window of opportunity was closing. I couldn't believe I was only minutes from calling it and walking around, but instead I had sat down and in came this racket bringing these turkeys!

When I would try to sight in the big guy he would move or another Tom would come in front of him cutting me off. Again and again. My heart was pounding and I struggled to out the bead in the ghost ring on my Remy 870. These birds were 20 feet from me and I was in a terrible position to make a comfortable shot. I finally decided I would follow the big guy only , finger at the ready, safety off, and pull as soon as the lane was clear. That moment came and after the thunderous crackle two toms flew off in one direction, another Jake flew in a different direction, and my big guy did a few backward somersaults before resting still.

Wow. Done. Finally. After all of the work - burning, pruning, chopping, felling, pulling, seeding, building our natural blind, success. We scored a tom. (I say we because my boy is always with me even if not physically present.) I thought of my boy and recognized I was sad he wasn't there to experience it as I did. That is always the let down for me now. BUT I recalled his words and smile and I knew he would be ecstatic! And by the way when I told him at school pick up his face lit up and he was all smiles and so happy. :) :)

Our Tom weight 14.6 lbs, a 10-inch beard, and beautiful colors and markings. We have our tail fan pinned, meat in the fridge, feathers bagged, and head and feet in a cooler as we decide which route we are going with them. Wings in cooler so feathers can be pulled tomorrow after school.

It was a beautiful morning, and thanks to God and Mother Nature for creation and stewardship. Love the woods and the wild things.

20230425_104719.jpg

six

Well done and congrats. I hope your boy gets to experience it soon.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Woohoo! Thanks for sharing @basshappy ! What a great read! Love the photo too! Sounds like the Kryptonite hen laid a golden egg! I bet that kid of yours couldn’t wait to get his hands on that bird! Still got time for him to get one too! :clap:

basshappy

BANNED
Well done and congrats. I hope your boy gets to experience it soon.

As do I. We joked that this would be the time I would have a good opportunity on a tom yesterday morning before school. During deer season he didn't go with me one time and I harvested a buck that morning. While I enjoy everything about hunting I love it with my boy by my side. I feel almost guilty if I go and he isn't with me. So yeah we have a couple more weeks maybe we will get another opportunity.

basshappy

BANNED
Way to go! The level of appreciation presented in your story is how every fortunate turkey hunter should feel, on a 1st Tom or 500th.

Man I agree. Just being in the wild and in the presence of the wild creatures is rewarding. Watching, listening, soaking them all in. A couple morning back my boy and I were in our blind and one squirrel to our right started firing off warning calls, and then a second squirrel to our left started his warning calls. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em - so I started firing off my squirrel warning calls and my boy started laughing!!! The squirrel to our left tilted his head as he watched and listened to me and then he shut up and went back to his routine. LOL

Gut_Pile

Congrats to you and your boy. Hope he gets a crack at one soon.

Welcome to the Tenth, we are happy to have you

basshappy

BANNED
Here is our blind. Angle is front looking into blind. Took advantage of a depression from a felled tree many, many years ago (rootball pulled up and left a divit.) That raised mound is the front of our blind. Threw down clippings on either side initially.

After a few outings realized we would be better served with a more solid wall behind and beside us (we had 2 toms come in to our box call from behind and when we turned to see the noise behind us we were face to beak with 'em!). So I used some felled saplings and cut limbs to fill in behind us and to our left. Definitely conceals us better than the clippings. When we are sitting in the blind we can see through the gaps or pop up to look over.

We will probably do the same to our right soon as turkey season ends. Plenty more wood we can stack. Will offset the rear right corner so we have an escape out the back. Realized only having the front as entrance/exit was not wise.

Blind doubles as an observation & photography space, and triples as a Kids play fort.

20230426_133531.jpg

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
Man, what a story! Congratulations!

Latest posts