Answer received for my Beretta A390 failure to eject

godogs57

Called Beretta direct and talked to their gunsmiths, three of them actually, regarding my 390’s refusal to eject Kent Faststeel and Migra shells posted here last week.

The gunsmiths said my A390 is an “older” gun. Early to mid 90’s or thereabouts. Back in the day there were not really any loads like the super premium $$$$ stuff we see today. We shot Remington, Winchester and Federal high brass steel loads and they did good. The 390’s were designed to digest those type loads. The super premium loads on the market today are entirely different with respect to the pressure (and the actual pressure curve itself), velocity, etc.

Their honest advice to me was to shoot the Federal and Winchester loads that did function, or trade it off for a newer model IF I just have to try the $$$$$new loads. I’ll just keep her because the Federal Speed Shok just works beautifully. It folds em up every time. The 390 is a great fit for my frame.

One of the gunsmiths told me “I’ll be honest with ya…there’s a buttload of shotguns out there that don’t like the Kents for some reason”. He suggested I try Rios if I want to give the new stuff one more try. Might do it, but WW and Fed are fine.

Duckbuster82

Federal speed shok is great. It’s all I shoot now, I was using fiochi too. The new ones are less dirty but don’t have the same hit the old ones did. But they still work just fine.

godogs57

“New” Speed Shok or Fiocchi? The Speed Shok’s I have been shooting DO shoot kinda dirty…..maybe 3 years old I suspect. My boxes say 1550 fps so those #4’s are scooting.

I spot those cheap blue rios in everything I got and don’t have any problems.

jNick

Figures. I have three different semi auto’s that prefer three different brand shells.

Duckbuster82

“New” Speed Shok or Fiocchi? The Speed Shok’s I have been shooting DO shoot kinda dirty…..maybe 3 years old I suspect. My boxes say 1550 fps so those #4’s are scooting.
I was referring to the speed shok. They changed about three years ago. The old one would leave your gun very dirty and at times put in burnt powder in your eyes. But they definitely had a heavier impact on the birds. I shoot the new ones now with no issue. I believe the ounce and a quarter number threes.