Anybody long leader bottom fish?

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
I mean the old Florida style long leader fishing.
40 to 60 foot leaders.

notnksnemor

I use a modified version of the sliding swivel and sinker.
With the quality of flouro available now, I use about 10' of flouro leader and then just let about another 50 feet of line when the sinker sits the bottom.
Especially live bait fishing, bait has a lot more freedom to move and attract fish.

notnksnemor

I'll add, besides cutting down on expensive flouro, another reason I drop down about a 10' leader is not having to handline in 60' of leader after the sinker reaches the rod tip.

slow motion

Im intrigued. Do you have any issues with hookset? Just thinking you could have an arc in the line between rod tip, sinker, and hook that might cause an issue. But might not. I typically use circle hooks so don't know if my situation would be better or worse.

notnksnemor

Im intrigued. Do you have any issues with hookset? Just thinking you could have an arc in the line between rod tip, sinker, and hook that might cause an issue. But might not. I typically use circle hooks so don't know if my situation would be better or worse.
You don't set the hook.
When your rod bends, just pick it up and start reeling.
With in-line circle hooks, 90 percent will be hooked in the corner of the mouth.
Offset circles will have a tendency to gut hook more.
Legally, you're only supposed to use in-lines for reef fishing anyway.

slow motion

You don't set the hook.
When your rod bends, just pick it up and start reeling.
With in-line circle hooks, 90 percent will be hooked in the corner of the mouth.
Offset circles will have a tendency to gut hook more.
Legally, you're only supposed to use in-lines for reef fishing anyway.
I guess the hookset question was directed more toward non circle hooks. I have found that sometimes when I have to catch up with a fish such as when they grab and run toward the boat I hook up less.

notnksnemor

I guess the hookset question was directed more toward non circle hooks. I have found that sometimes when I have to catch up with a fish such as when they grab and run toward the boat I hook up less.
You don't want to use this with J hooks.

Latest posts