Drifting for catfish

ChiefOsceola

Wondering if anyone has any pointers for drift fishing for catfish in the lakes (Sinclair, in my case)?

I grew up night fishing on Seminole, where we'd tie up the boat to some snags, and fish straight down at various depths. Not much to get hung up on, since we weren't moving. In the river, I typically tie up, and fish down stream. Again, not dragging across the bottom, so less chance of getting hung up. Since getting our place on Sinclair, my fishing has been limited to anchoring and trying to fish "Seminole style"...or setting out jugs/noodles.
I've read about people who drift the channels, but all I can picture is constantly getting hung up on old trees or rocks or whatever is on the bottom. Any pointers you guys can offer would be much appreciated.

Lindseys Grandpa

You will need drifting weights . They are longer 6-12 inch weight slim in size that will crawl over stuff most weights will hang up on . There are places that sell them but they are pretty easy to make . There are numerous You Tube videos on making them and on dragging for catfish.
Have just got into it far from good but learning . You also need a float on line above hook to keep bait and hook off bottom to help limit hangups . You still gonna hangup just a lot less

ChiefOsceola

You will need drifting weights . They are longer 6-12 inch weight slim in size that will crawl over stuff most weights will hang up on . There are places that sell them but they are pretty easy to make . There are numerous You Tube videos on making them and on dragging for catfish.
Have just got into it far from good but learning . You also need a float on line above hook to keep bait and hook off bottom to help limit hangups . You still gonna hangup just a lot less
Much appreciated! I'll definitely look into the drifting weights. I've been wondering what the worm/bean pod looking things on the drifting rigs were in the videos...I reckon they were probably those drifting weights facepalm:. Also have watched some how-to vids on Santee Cooper rigs for lifting the bait just off the bottom, but I expected the sinkers would constantly get snagged. This might be the answer.

across the river

This is pretty spot on. Some slides, drift sinkers, and either some cheap peg floats or rattle floats if you want to get advanced or look really cool. Set it up just like a Carolina rig except use your drift sinker and slide in place of the egg sinker and put the peg cork on or tie a rattle float in the leader. Circle hook for the hook. You don’t have to use a float but it helps, especially if there is a bit to get hung up on. Typically use heavy test braid for main line and 20 lb mono for the leader, unless you are planning on an absolute giant. If you do get hung you want the leader to break. Usually put four off the back and two off the side, you just have to vary the lengths so they don’t hang up. Line counter reels can help a lot there if you are starting out just so you know exactly where they are in terms of length. I would also recommend going on a windless day the first couple of times and just using the trolling motor to “drift” and figure it out your setup. Once you get the hang of it, you can then start to just drift in the wind, but you will likely need a windsock at that point because it doesn’t take a ton of wind to have you moving faster than you want to be.

Lindseys Grandpa

this video is showing drifiting for catfish and he has many others.
He does some drifting and more downlining. He catchs some sho nuff grown ones. He's one out me on to them gulp Shad in juice . You can catch pretty near anything swimming with them . As close to live bait as you can get . I heard some tournaments were looking at making them illegal .

klerchkatcher

He does some drifting and more downlining. He catchs some sho nuff grown ones. He's one out me on to them gulp Shad in juice . You can catch pretty near anything swimming with them . As close to live bait as you can get . I heard some tournaments were looking at making them illegal .
I've been meaning to get some 1 inch gulps and try for bream/shellcracker. Many years ago I had some berkley power bait 2 inch curly tails and was not impressed with them. The tails were too stiff and didn't move at the slow speed I was trolling for crappie, 0.9 to 1.0 mph.

I cut the curly tail parts off the power baits and fussed the front part to Charlie Brewer Sliders to have the scent and elongate the slider which gave the tail more action. Which worked good but I never bothered to buy any more then.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
I've been meaning to get some 1 inch gulps and try for bream/shellcracker. Many years ago I had some berkley power bait 2 inch curly tails and was not impressed with them. The tails were too stiff and didn't move at the slow speed I was trolling for crappie, 0.9 to 1.0 mph.

I cut the curly tail parts off the power baits and fussed the front part to Charlie Brewer Sliders to have the scent and elongate the slider which gave the tail more action. Which worked good but I never bothered to buy any more then.
If you want live action in a soft bait, check out Creme Lil' Fishies.

Latest posts