Anyone been to Antietam or Gettysburg battlefields?

BriarPatch99

Thinking about taking a trip with the wife to see Antietam and Gettysburg battlefields and incorporate it into a trip through Amish country. I had ancestors that fought in both battles and one killed at Antietam.

My question is how much time should I plan to spend at each battlefield?

I’m thinking a day at each. At Gettysburg I’ll also stop ad the Gettysburg museum that I see on a YouTube channel I follow.

I’m also planning on taking her to shanksville to see the flight 93 memorial

Spent a full day there at Gettysburg ...nowhere near enough time to cover ... not even close ...we had kids with us and kids get bored ....
Planning a another trip after it cools off some ...

Adding The Wilderness this time as my GGGrandfather died there May 6, 1864 just off Orange Plank Road near the River Nye ...6 pm ...shot between the eyes ...

No kids this time..

Darkhorse

When I was a Junior and again as a Senior we took our vacation touring Civil war battlefields. Dad wanted us all together at least one last time before I graduated and flew the coop.
One year we took my grandmother and grandfather, my grandmother would stand on a field and cry. "This may be the place my daddy got the wound that killed him."
The math didn't work for me and I asked Mom she said Grandma was fathered real late in the man's life and that she was very young when he passed on.
His name was Graham and he was a captain. That's all I know about him. We know nothing about his service.
I can't remember all the battlefields we visited. Kennesaw, Atlanta, Shiloh, Fredricksburg, The Wilderness, Petersburg, Gettyysburg, Sharpsburg, Lookout Mountain, Chickamauga, those I remember. We sometimes searched most of a day for a smaller conflict only to find a road sign telling a little about the battle and nothing else. Those I don't remember so well.
I would definitely allot 2 days for Gettysburg.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Spent a full day there at Gettysburg ...nowhere near enough time to cover ... not even close ...we had kids with us and kids get bored ....
Planning a another trip after it cools off some ...

Adding The Wilderness this time as my GGGrandfather died there May 6, 1864 just off Orange Plank Road near the River Nye ...6 pm ...shot between the eyes ...

No kids this time..
some of my kin died in the Wilderness battle off Orange Plank. There was a hospital set up at Parker's Store. He was shot, but died 6 days later from lock jaw. He was my great grandmothers brother, William W Sosebee

Two days at Gettysburg, and I suggest going in November when they do the Lincoln address reenactment. They put out luminairies in the cemetery. I have pictures from our trip there last November. I even saw Abe eating breakfast.
1714617626121.png

Last edited:

westcobbdog

When I was a Junior and again as a Senior we took our vacation touring Civil war battlefields. Dad wanted us all together at least one last time before I graduated and flew the coop.
One year we took my grandmother and grandfather, my grandmother would stand on a field and cry. "This may be the place my daddy got the wound that killed him."
The math didn't work for me and I asked Mom she said Grandma was fathered real late in the man's life and that she was very young when he passed on.
His name was Graham and he was a captain. That's all I know about him. We know nothing about his service.
I can't remember all the battlefields we visited. Kennesaw, Atlanta, Shiloh, Fredricksburg, The Wilderness, Petersburg, Gettyysburg, Sharpsburg, Lookout Mountain, Chickamauga, those I remember. We sometimes searched most of a day for a smaller conflict only to find a road sign telling a little about the battle and nothing else. Those I don't remember so well.
I would definitely allot 2 days for Gettysburg.
In your quest for more info on the soldier Graham, Fold3 is a pay site that's all military and The National Park Service also has a free site called something like "Soldiers and Sailors Database", good luck.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
You ever go Throwback?
Not yet. As soon as I started recovering good from my foot surgery my wife started having problems and required back surgery last summer. Still planning/hoping to go

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
In your quest for more info on the soldier Graham, Fold3 is a pay site that's all military and The National Park Service also has a free site called something like "Soldiers and Sailors Database", good luck.
Memorial Day weekend last year fold3 had free access to some of their records. I spent most of the weekend saving and printing