AR build opinion

GoodOleBoy55

I have been on the fence about which way I should go with my next Ar. A 350 legend or 300 BO. The 300 was going to be a short barreled defense rifle or pistol. The more I thought about it, I don’t care a whole a lot about suppressing a gun. The 350 would be a dedicated hog/deer gun. Help me decide lol.

transfixer

I would base it on how available ammo is going to be for which one you choose ? and how expensive it might be ? I have two .300bo pistols, one with a 10.5in barrel, the other a 8.5, the 8.5 I built as a defensive weapon, the other one can do dual duty as long as I keep my shots under 100yds, I reload so I don't have to buy factory ammo, I also have two 7.62x39 AR's , one 16in dedicated for hunting, the other a 10in that will mainly be a defensive weapon, Ammo " was " cheap for the 7.62x39 until recently, but I have a ton of that already anyway,

.350 legend will have more power for hunting than the .300, but bullet selection is limited, with the .300 I can use anything from 110gr to 220gr,

weigh it out depending on how far you think your shots will be , and whether you can readily find ammo for the caliber

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
What Transfixer said. The .300BO and .350 Legend are both great calibers, but are really the best for reloaders. I don't reload. My 7.62x39 I built a few years ago is my go-to AR these days. Good for defense, and a great 100-yard woods deer rifle. I've killed a pile of deer and a couple hogs and yotes with it.

GoodOleBoy55

Have a ton of 350 ammo right now, I currently don’t own any 300 BO firearms. Ammo is so crazy right now not sure which would be cheaper or more available in the long run. I don’t currently reload or have any plans to, I should though. That’s a whole nother conversation.

I already have a 7.62x39 At that is set up for hunting or defense. That’s was my go to battle/defense caliber. I was weighing in the x39 ammo not being so cheap anymore as a reason for leaning towards the blackout.

transfixer

If you already have ammo for the 350 then you might as well put one of those together , the 7.62x39 is slightly superior ballistically to the .300bo ,, but you have to have dedicated mags for it, and really only have two bullet weights readily available, something around 125gr or 154gr, and the 154's are hard to find,

I had a .300bo 16in upper for a while, that was an absolute tack driver with 125gr loads, I just wasn't impressed with its performance on deer, killed them fine, but didn't impress me, haven't taken one yet with the 7.62x39, but plan on it this season. I like the .300bo because everything is interchangeable with .223/5.56 except the barrel, same mags, same bolt, etc, I had to buy up a bunch of Dura mag 7.62x39 mags so I would be set for those ,, they're a little harder to find and a little more expensive than standard AR mags.

I think the .350 uses dedicated mags also doesn't it ?

GoodOleBoy55

The fact that I only need a a different barrel for the blackout is definitely was a plus.

Yes, the 350 legend takes dedicated mags. Between that and reading some about feeding issues, those were really my own two concerns with going the 350 route. Not having to buy yet another caliber, like I would have to with the blackout, would be nice.

trial&error

Unless you want a short barrel suppressed pistol go with the 350. I was really interested in the 300 when it first came out, but lost interest quickly. The extra costs of the suppressor and tax stamp will outweigh the cost of different mags, barrel, and possibly a different bcg (unsure about bcg). I already have a gun for straight wall cases should I hunt in different states.